iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some pics of this years teak thinning

Started by teakwood, December 11, 2014, 04:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

This pics are from my teakplantations, first comercial thinning. This trees are 8years old! (Well i have to say this part of the plantation has excellent growing). Imagine them in 10-15years when we make the final cut.

My workhorse

Before thinning

After thinning

Landing
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Autocar

They sure growed nice and straight with long logs. What do you use the wood for ?
Bill

Skidder Kev

WOW those things grow fast.   Is that the new crop planted between the trees? 

teakwood

I sell them to a bigger teakcompany here, they cut them in 3x3,4x4 and 5x5s, the lenght of every section of the logs is about 7'. they sell it to the Indus (India). I dont know what they do with them, as for me the wood is no good cuality yet, to young. when they are 20years old then they worth alot, then they have around 18-20"Dbh.

lopet

I don't see any dead stuff hanging around, so you are excused not to wear a hardhat. ;D
Short sleeves, wow  it's been a while !

Nice pictures
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

teakwood

Its around 80-90 degrees now. can get to 95. hardhat would give me a headache in 2 hours!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: teakwood on December 11, 2014, 05:11:06 PM
I sell them to a bigger teakcompany here, they cut them in 3x3,4x4 and 5x5s, the lenght of every section of the logs is about 7'. they sell it to the Indus (India). I dont know what they do with them, as for me the wood is no good cuality yet, to young. when they are 20years old then they worth alot, then they have around 18-20"Dbh.

They make trinkets that are sold here in Cost Plus Imports stores!  Cool, never knew what teak looked like growing.  Some seriously big leaves! :o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tule peak timber

Teakwood, Beautiful pictures ! A few years back I developed a market for trees a lot smaller than the ones in your pics but the source was not reputable. I sure hope your business partners are better than mine were ! Keep up the good work -  your trees look terrific !  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

KyLogger

I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

beenthere

Quotehardhat would give me a headache in 2 hours!

No hardhat can give you one in a split second.   ;D

But I hear ya on the heat...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Interesting. Update this thread in 10-15 years.   :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I was amazed at how fast that stuff grew when we visited Costa Rica.  I wish we would hear from @crtreedude some time. It would be cool to see how far his trees have come, if he still owns the Fincas.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

teakwood

Quote from: tule peak timber on December 11, 2014, 07:00:18 PM
Teakwood, Beautiful pictures ! A few years back I developed a market for trees a lot smaller than the ones in your pics but the source was not reputable. I sure hope your business partners are better than mine were ! Keep up the good work -  your trees look terrific !  Rob
The company is swiss owned (i am swiss), we have total trust to each other. This year i cutted 1000trees. I have 37ha of plantation (around 20 000trees) they have 10 000ha (38 squaremiles!). So my volume is actually nothing to them, but they pay me a good price. Last year i had 6 Buyers who wanted the logs (dont know how many of them were serious) also alot of direct hindu buyers are around, but you dont wont to deal with them! they like to screw the clueless people. I better stuck with the same company. they haul all the wood and after 10 days all the money is on my bankacount. cant do that with alot of companys in Costa Rica!

teakwood

The leafs are like sandpaper and give you red fingers! :D. All the leafs fall down in the dryseason (who is starting now and rain will fall again in May)

teakwood

Here is a foto of how they load trucks around here. (laborcost is cheaper than the machine!) Poor Nicaraguans! No costarican would do that work. And that was in the end of february, 95degrees!

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Skidder Kev

how long does it take to load the truck? 

coxy

nice pics     its good to see how other people do logging  ;D ;D and yes they are big leaves could all most use them for a umbrella  :)

teakwood

Quote from: kculler on December 11, 2014, 09:01:24 PM
how long does it take to load the truck? 
they last about 3hours to load (8workers), but they cant do more than 2 trucks a day. Understandable! Its 30m3 (8.3cords) of wood each semi 

mikeb1079

very cool teakwood.  thanks for the pics and sharing a bit about your operation.  whereabouts are you in cr?  i've visited 2x and really enjoyed it, the coast was a bit hot for me but up in the mountains was wonderful.   :)  costa rica is on my short list for when i can retire and not have to spend 5 months indoors!  :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

teakwood

Quote from: mikeb1079 on December 11, 2014, 11:21:38 PM
very cool teakwood.  thanks for the pics and sharing a bit about your operation.  whereabouts are you in cr?  i've visited 2x and really enjoyed it, the coast was a bit hot for me but up in the mountains was wonderful.   :)  costa rica is on my short list for when i can retire and not have to spend 5 months indoors!  :D
I am way north in La Cruz, thats 10miles from the nicaraguan border. when you retire? your like the same age as i and i think we are far from retirement. :D At least i hope i can put a lower gear in after lets say 45 ;) when the trees and paychecks will be bigger.

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

kensfarm

teakwood

Thanks guys. you have to be creative down here. Not so many stores around as in the u.s.  Choker and cable came from labonville. parts for the deere from the north (brakepads i bought in Canada) and all my Volvo parts came from a dealer in Miami.

Ken

Thanks for the pictures.  Seeing that truck loaded by hand sure makes me appreciate hydraulics.  I would love to see that stand in a few years.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!