iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wise beyond his years- all ten of them!

Started by martyinmi, August 28, 2012, 08:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

My son and I drove by the neighbors place a few weeks ago and noticed that he was selling sweet corn, and it was 50 cents cheaper than he(my son) was selling it for. My sons price was $2.50, and I told him that people would happily drive the extra 800 ft to buy cheaper corn. I asked him what he wanted to do and he simply said that we needed to lower our price to match his, so we did, and all was well....for a few days.

After 3 or 4 days, the neighbor lowered his price down to $1.50/doz. I was angry to say the least. The neighbor knows that the money my son makes goes for his college fund, and my kid is actually enthusiastic about his future education, and I was getting madder by the minute and my kid could tell by my silence. He finally asked what was on my mind, and I blurted out that "I'd like to wring his(neighbors) neck for lowering his price to get your sales." My son responded to my statement by informing me that we aren't the only ones selling sweet corn and that he (the neighbor) can sell corn for what ever he wants. What really impressed me was what he said next. He said "dad, you're always telling me that in America I can be anything I want to be...right? Can't our neighbor too?" Before I could respond to him, he said he thought he should lower our price again to match his, and simply plant a much bigger garden next year. I was speechless. I gave him a big hug and told him that God sure knew what he was doing when he hooked him up with me.
   Sweet corn is almost all sold. 150 dozen so far. Plans are for forty 60' rows instead of just 20 for next year.

I've got a great kid!!!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Andy Griffith has a smile on his face in Heaven.  :)

GREAT STORY!!!!  You have a reason to be proud.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

Thats the best one in a while!! Give that youngun another hug! Awesome! I'd say you've done well DAD!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

Your Son will do well and this was about much more than corn or the selling price of corn.  No one can beat a Father/Son team.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You must have provided a good example for him.  The boy has real character.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kansas

There are some other angles to try next year. One is the variety of sweet corn. Promoting it as better than the guy down the road.  The second is the ability to sell. Also, the hours that you are open. Some people will always sell on price. Better to sell on quality and service, and marketing. Sounds like you have a great son. I don't know anything about your location or anything. Maybe he could move the location of the sales.

Faron

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Leigh Family Farm

To follow up with Kansas, you can promote that your corn is all natural or organic (if it actually is). Or expand the services, such as pre-harvest orders from the local neighbors and a delivery day (if Dad doesn't mind spending the day driving around with his son ;)) before the neighbor opens his stall. Adding other vegetables that go with corn and sell them together. For this I mean you could sell 2 dozen ears of corn, 2 large tomatoes, and a bunch of basil leaves for $5.00 and market it as "all you need is to add slices of mozzarella cheese and olive oil, to get a healthy corn and caprese  salad dinner".  ;D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

LOGDOG

Sounds like a good boy. You should be proud. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  :)

Norm

That's a nice story to read Marty, made my morning a little brighter!

thecfarm

Price wars has begun. Sounds like a real good son. Good job job Dad and Mom. By the way,$2.50 for ??? A dozen ears around here was $6-7 at a stand.
We don't do corn. Too many critters like it. Everyone has a great idea to keep them out of it,as long as they don't have to do it. We use to buy it in,but we try to keep away from chemicals. We know what we are using. I kinda wonder about the other guy sometimes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

That was great you must have a fine young man there. Around here corn is five dollars a dozen and there is some three and a half but pretty small ears.
Bill

Dave Shepard

Buy all the neighbors corn ast $1.50 and sell it for $2. That way the neighbor makes his money, at the price he set, and you've eliminated your production costs. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Warbird

Well done, Marty.  That's a good boy you've got there.  Thanks for sharing this story, it really made me smile and hope for my son.  :)

LOGDOG

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 29, 2012, 10:24:28 AM
Buy all the neighbors corn ast $1.50 and sell it for $2. That way the neighbor makes his money, at the price he set, and you've eliminated your production costs. :D

That's exactly what I was thinking.  ;) Then make him sign a non-compete agreement.  ;D

Den Socling

Yes that was a feel-good story. And it reminded me of another. A farm down the road keeps a little wagon full of corn in the front yard. With the corn is a box of money and a sign that says "please serve yourself". There must be few crooks in the neighborhood because they do it every summer.  :)

WildDog

I bet if passers by knew the young guy's corn sales were to help with education fees a lot would support your boy. I know I would.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

WildDog is on to something there. Make up a sign saying for future college fund and than have a write up on what he plans to do for college and where he wants to go. People might even pay more than he is asking for the corn. Next year contact the local paper. They love stuff like that. So do I.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Is that price making any money or just covering costs?  Too often we don't respect our local farmers but they make it easy to walk on them when they lower their price and give it away.

Next year don't plant any corn but buy all the neighbors at the low price and then resell it where you actually make a profit.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!