iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland mills hm130 /green lumber

Started by shawn55, February 24, 2019, 10:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn55

Been looking at a hm130 mill seems nice and good built for the money. Anybody have one and their thoughts? Also I heard you can build with green lumber rite off the mill as long as all the lumber you use is green so it dries all the same time, is this true?. Just building a shed for the mill out side and a solar kiln. 

mddillon78

I have had my HM130 for about two years and I love it!  I have lots of videos on my YouTube channel cutting logs as well as a couple reviews I did.  I also communicate with them often and their service and support is excellent!  I have also purchased the Woodlander XL trailer for it and I like it very much. 

As for building with green lumber.  I built my solar kiln,  chicken coop, shed, and a few of outdoor projects with green lumber and have had great success.   I wouldn't use it indoors,  but outbuildi nbn gd it is perfect!

Feel free to contact me and check out some of my videos and let me know if you have any questions.

If you buy the HM130 let them know I sent you and they will take very good care of you.  I know they would either way.

Happy Milling!

Mike Dillon
Michael Dillon
Dillons Woodworks - New Hampshire
Custom Sawmilling and Woodworks
Dillonswoodworks
Dillonswoodworks - YouTube

thecfarm

Green lumber,not a problem. I would cut down the tree,saw the lumber and build with it. Sometimes only in 2 hours. I did not want to sticker the lumber,handle it 2-3 times.  Lumber would go onto the arms of my tractor and over it would go to The Women Cave.

Now if I was putting in insulation and than sheet rock.... :o  Keeping the moisture in is not good. I can almost put my fingers between the boards after they have dried. Another layer of boards will solve that. That layer will get stickered and dried for a while. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

mitchstockdale

Quote from: shawn55 on February 24, 2019, 10:46:33 AM
Been looking at a hm130 mill seems nice and good built for the money. Anybody have one and their thoughts? Also I heard you can build with green lumber rite off the mill as long as all the lumber you use is green so it dries all the same time, is this true?. Just building a shed for the mill out side and a solar kiln.
I have an HM126 with the 9.5 HP kohler...its is a great little mill...I imagine the larger power head on the HM130 would be even more capable.

Couple of general buying points I could offer 

1. Make sure you get a model that can cut 16' logs or be sure to get an extension so you can. 

2. If your budget can handle it get the trailer.  From my experience, these saws are super annoying to get levelled up and sitting properly messing with cribbing and whatnot...especially if you live on a hillside ;).  The jacks on the trailer seem like it would make levelling and staying level much easier, plus you can move it around, take it to the logs, store it away, move it to the shop for repairs, etc.... 

3. Buy a pack of extra blades when you order your mill or get some locally if there is a saw shop near you.

Good luck

thecfarm

@Woodpecker52 , how right you are.
A horse run in built out of green lumber,10 inch boards,4 inch batten.
I want an old barn look wih The Women Cave.
I will have to spread the boards out to get the look. Or buy some stain that will do it for me.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shawn55

Thanks for the input.  And yes the mill will be a 130 and 16' trailer. Has anybody used basswood or popular for outdoor studs in shed. Just wondering because I have a lot of basswood and some popular. Basically all my bass wood I cut goes to the pallet mill anyways.

shawn55

Hey when you put battens on do you nail them in between the 10" boards so the battens ain't nailed in either 10" boards just into the wall stud?

starmac

I have done one small building with green board and batten, (white  spruce). I used screws, but I put one right in the middle of the boards, then one in the middle of the battens, between the boards, and they held the outsides of the boards. I figured I would go back and put some more after it dried, but it has not needed it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

shawn55

Has anybody used basswood or ash for studs? (Outside building of course)

Thank You Sponsors!