iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are ya'll runnin' ethanol free fuel in your mills?

Started by Brad_bb, June 05, 2018, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Of course you diesel guys are not.  I have been running ethanol free in my LT15, my Stihl chainsaws, and my forklift(early 1940's farmall BN) for a year now.  It's not that much more given the volume I use and it's not nearly as much as I use in my daily driver.

I just google ethanol free gas stations.  There are 3 in different towns that I regularly go.  My local municipal airport (part of the park district) also has it and will sell to me, only I have to bring my dolly and make two trips from where I park out to the taxi way area where the pump is for the planes.

I started doing this because I know I need it in my Stihl 090, and my tractor.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SawyerTed

Ethanol goes in pint and quart jars NOT in fuel tanks!  Sometimes with peach, sometimes with strawberry, sometimes with apple.  Sometimes just corn and sugar.....best with a chunk of charred white oak and aged for a few months.

Yes, ethanol free in the sawmill, edger, chainsaws, IH 140 tractor, 4 wheeler, boats, weed eater, pole saw, lawn mower, wood splitter.....you get the picture.

I've only had two bad experiences with ethanol gasoline in small engines. One was a warranty repair, the other cost me $250 and I'm not even the one that put the gasohol in my mower!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Not yet. I run my equipment enough so far I have not had any problems yet. Longest sitting equipment is my outboard motor and weedeater and I run the fuel out of them at the end of each use. In the Fall when I quit fishing I use the rest of that gas in my chainsaws as I use exactly the same mix in both of them.  That way I start with a fresh fuel in the Spring when I start back fishing. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

47sawdust

I have 2 chainsaws,2 mowers, leafblower,sawmill and gas brush cutter.None use ethanol free gas,never any problems.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GAB

Note of caution:
Just because you are buying ethanol free there is a high probability that is not what you are getting especially if you only buy a small quantity at a time.  Most pumps have one hose for 3 different grades.  So, unless you pump the first 5 gallons in your vehicle then there is a chance that you are not getting what you are paying for but getting what the previous user of the pump purchased.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I have never knowingly used Ethanol in any engine other than our car/truck.  This does not override the fact that any fuel will go stale if allowed to sit for too long and all of us have smelled that sickening stale gas smell.  :o

Our station has a separate hose for Ethanol.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Quote from: GAB on June 05, 2018, 09:16:24 PM
Note of caution:
Just because you are buying ethanol free there is a high probability that is not what you are getting especially if you only buy a small quantity at a time.  Most pumps have one hose for 3 different grades.  So, unless you pump the first 5 gallons in your vehicle then there is a chance that you are not getting what you are paying for but getting what the previous user of the pump purchased.
Gerald
I wonder how much it actually takes to remove the stuff in the line before you start getting what you paid for? I guess it depends on where the switching valve is located. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

sealark37

I solved on-going problems in my tractor, as well as every other carburetor I own by switching to ethanol free gasoline.  Just my experience.    Regards, Clark

SawyerTed

The station where I buy my ethanol free fuel has a dedicated pump for premium/ethanol free gasoline.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Sixacresand

I use "100% gasoline" in every thing except vehicles.  But at over $3 per gallon, these rural stations near me don't sell huge volumes.  My concern is condensated water.  I empty the last half gallon of the gas containers into a glass jug for water check.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Downstream

I run ethanol free in everything except cars.  tractor, chainsaws, boats, sawmill, trimmers,etc.  I'm fortunate to live on a large lake in illinois so local gas station about 4 miles from house has ethanol free gas at every pump for the boating crowd. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Runningalucas

Me too, no ethanol for anything that matters; which is most.  It's either Premium, or some stations around here Wa/Id have 100% gas, or some such.... Makes me wonder what's in Premium.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Brad_bb

"Premium" doesn't mean ethanol free.  It's just a marketing word for higher octane.  Every station I've been to that carries ethanol free has a dedicated pump for it, not switching.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

I run ethanol free in my mill and other gas equipment.
The station's i go to all have dedicated pumps for it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Chuck White

I run 91oct, e-free gas in everything except the car/truck!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PA_Walnut

I run ethanol-free in all of my gas-engine machines...there's a station 2 miles away that has Sunoco GT100 race gas!  :o
Since it's only my chainsaw, pressure-washer, etc. I'm willing to pay the $8/gallon price.

All my stuff starts right up always and the smell makes me feel like I'm at the track! Win:win!   8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

GAB

Quote from: Crossroads on June 05, 2018, 09:42:28 PM
Quote from: GAB on June 05, 2018, 09:16:24 PM
Note of caution:
Just because you are buying ethanol free there is a high probability that is not what you are getting especially if you only buy a small quantity at a time.  Most pumps have one hose for 3 different grades.  So, unless you pump the first 5 gallons in your vehicle then there is a chance that you are not getting what you are paying for but getting what the previous user of the pump purchased.
Gerald
I wonder how much it actually takes to remove the stuff in the line before you start getting what you paid for? I guess it depends on where the switching valve is located.
And probably the pipe size and length.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

samandothers

E-free in all small engines.  I usually fill cans when I go to our land in Va.  it is rural and many stations carry non-E gas.  One station has 2 different octanes of it.  
Here in the area I live in there are two stations with in a couple mile that have it too.

Dave Shepard

Ethanol free in everything but the Jeep. Around here high octane is usually ethanol free, but as mentioned, pump a gallon in your vehicle first to clear the hose of the ethanol gas.  Stewarts stores used to have three nozzles, but they have phased all those out. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CX3

If you run them more than once a month your good to go. Drain any fuel when storing equipment. Ethanol in fuel will not cause a problem if not allowed to sit around.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

dustyhat

rrleesb

I've made the switch! Two years ago I rebuilt about 8 carbs that were bummed up. Not again!

shortlogger

Ethanol gas caused me lots of misery on a few occasions . I will not run it in any of my small engines even the ones that never go more than a day or two without running . if you run it you better stock up in carburetor cleaner. lol   
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Dad2FourWI

Us too.... ethanol free in everything other than the car!

About every three months we take in the old Ford truck and put ethanol free gas in 15 5 gal containers and in old Floyd (the truck) as well...

We use premium non-ethanol only when we cannot find just plain non-ethanol.... but I have to admit that Floyd does like the premium... YUM... but a bit tough on the pocket book!  :D
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Thank You Sponsors!