iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you sand this cookie?

Started by Downstream, July 14, 2019, 11:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I have purposely let some thin cookies dry so they warp into a shallow bowl shape.  I am looking for comments on how people would try to sand them after they have warped into bowl shape.  what tool or process would you suggest.  Also one issue is how to hold it while I sand both concave and convex sides?  Comments?

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

terrifictimbersllc

Put it on a pillow and use a random orbit sander with a light touch and tilting as necessary to fit the contours. Finish up with one of the Beall wood buffing sets. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

I use the tool box liner rubber matts.  lay it on top and they hold it and pad it until they are saturated with dust.  you can use course sand paper but anything near the edge may chip off if too aggressive.  you could pad a bench dog in a hole on your bench but easy does it.  if you knock off a chunk of bark and want to keep it, just glue it back on.  I assume you want to keep the bowl shape.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bill Gaiche

Put a 5 gallon bucket down on something solid and put some sand, rocks any weight in the bottom to hold it steady. Then put a piece of old carpet on top, then set your piece on it and sand away. bg

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

low_48

Bosch 5" random orbit sander. I do all my larger bowls off the lathe with that sander. Just sit it in my lap, put on a good dust mask, start the floor fan to help remove air borne dust, tilt the sander slightly so you are just touching the outside inch or so on the pad, and go after it. 80, 120, 180, 220 Works great.

Thank You Sponsors!