iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canadian Farm Saw

Started by HOGFARMER, January 27, 2010, 06:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

Foun this on the internet, it appears to be kind of a modern version of the Foley Belsaw.  Does anyone know anything about it?  Her is the link www.canadianfarmsaw.com
Manual LT-30

fishpharmer

I remember seeing a picture or two of one in Jeff's photo gallery.  Now that you mention it they do look a little like a stout Belsaw. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom Sawyer

I don't know anything about them, and they look well built from the pictures on the website.  The 20" diameter log limit would be a problem for me though.  I routinely cut logs larger than 20".  I would like to hear from someone who has one.

Tom

Hi-Country Orange

They are making false claims by saying that the
bdft. rates of 500-750bdft. per hr. is more than
double that of the best band saw out there  >:(  >:(

sigidi

Quote from: Hi-Country Orange on January 28, 2010, 12:38:26 PM
They are making false claims by saying that the
bdft. rates of 500-750bdft. per hr. is more than
double that of the best band saw out there  >:(  >:(

I find 'output claims' are very subjective, I know Lucas owners here is Oz who say they can process 10 cubic metres of log a day or 4,240 bft - my best day has been 6 cubic metres of log. I had a tailer helping and we cut 6x3 all day in 4m (12.5') lengths didn't have to set the mill up or pack up at the end of the day, had the logs right next to the mill. If I turn around and cut 1" feedstock - say 4x1 and 6x1 there is no way in a pink fit I could ever hope to get through 6 cube of logs in one day, but that doesn't mean the volume capable of being processed couldn't be stated as being 6 cubic metres a day.

I recall doing a bit of measuring on cutting times, had a job cutting 5x1.5 10' long for 12 weeks, 3 days a week. I was cutting 1 stick in under 40 seconds and that was tailing out myself, so someone could then turn around and say well that equates to;

8 hour day with half hour for lunch 7.5 hours of work at a rate of 1 stick per 40 seconds that's 675 sticks for the day or producing a volume of 9.62 cubic metres or over 4,000 bft a day of sawn product so around 25 cubic metres ( 10,600 bft) of log per day, now we all know there is no way any of those numbers can actually stack up.

Trouble with statistics, people can 'turn' em around, "interpret' them to suit their purpose :(
Always willing to help - Allan

NWwoodsman

Mobil Dimension claims 6000 board foot a day, and I think you could do it with the right set-up and logs. Not that I've cut that much in a day but I think it's doabe.
Jason

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ive seen the canadian farmsaw on the net the first time i saw it was about 10 years ago they arnt a bad looking mill for personal and part time use and would do that canting out logs easly   ;) 

Production is all relative to how your setup eg. good loader and a stacker who knows what their doing  ;) what size logs your in  ;)  all mills have an optimum size they work well on and the target sizes that work best for them   ;) my best run on a for a week on a Lucas solo was sawing 4' and 6' long and 2'6" to 4' dia logs  just punching out 6x6 and 8x8 cypress pine bollards and not going for anything else ;) was about 26 to 30m3 about 12000 bft sawn for the week from memory and that wasnt bad out of short rough logs that had been brought in in a tipper from treeloppers  ;) My best week in cypress grade sawing with a stacker (dad) was about 45 m3 about 18000 bft in anything from 8' to 20' long and 1' to 3' in dia both times i had a hough 30a loader feeding the logs  and sawing for 10hr days ;) with pine 8x2 n 3 sleepers in 1' to 4" logs in 8 to 10 lengths i can do the 4 m3 sawn mark per day on my own and in pine pulp :( >:( 6" to 12" dia ill do around the 600 to 1000 bft sawing 5x1 8' n 12' boards with the lucas like i said its all relative and i think Lucas ,woodmizer, timberking , baker and peterson all use pretty achiveable figures if you sett things up rite and have the skill to make it work for you  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Coalsmoke

I'd sure liek to see a video of one or see more about them. Looks like an interesting mill.
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

5quarter

Don't most bandmill BF claims base their #s on 4/4 lumber? I haven't email these people, but I'd be willing to bet that their BF claims are based on 8/4 dimensional lumber. If so, Their claim may be misleading.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

HOGFARMER

Apparently no one has seen one of these in action or has any experience with one.  Just thought it looked like an interesting concept.
Manual LT-30

wdncno

I saw one in Bancroft Ontario at the show there a few years ago.  I was pretty impressed.  They were cutting very quickly and a nice consistent product.  I think the tractor hooked up to it was about 40 hp.  Looked well built, and I liked the fact that they use a lot of commonly available parts throughout the mill.  If you didn't have a need to cut long logs-(I do), I think it probably would have been a better chioce than the swingmill I endend up buying, for about the same price.

bandmiller2

Wdncno,ballpark what is the cost of the farmsaw,reminds me of the early Jackson lumber harvestors.From the pictures it looks well made.Do you recall where the operator stands.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Frank she,s a left hander and the operator stands just infront of the small husk with the feedworks lever infront of him I reckon it wold do a good job on sawing ties out of small logs  too Mate ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!