iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer LT 28 Power

Started by jrkimroxie, February 18, 2010, 01:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrkimroxie

I'm new to the bandmill arena and was courious if the 18 hp engine on this mill is enough?  Looking to get one before this sale ends, will be cutting mostly syp 18"-30" to build my home. Hope to eventually cut some oak for inside the home, also 18"-30". Mill comes with power feed and is almost over my budget, but is there anything I've "just gotta" add to the mill??
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

Tom

When Woodmizer first started selling the Lt30 and lt40, they offered 20 horse, and I think 15 horse, engines.

I had a 24 horse onan and the power to the band  (the power that is most important) was sufficient to cut anything I put on the mill at near production speeds.   Conversations with other owners and Woodmizer, after the fact, indicated that there was very little difference, almost undetectable, between the 20 horse and 24 horse.  I would have to agree and think that the benefits came with added accessories, like hydraulics.

I've seen 15 horse engines saw and there is a difference between 15 horse and 20 horse.

Based on the older models and their performance, I think that you would be pleased with an 18 horse motor.  But, having sawed with a 24 and a 40 horse,  I can say emphatically, that you will be more pleased with more horsepower.    More horses allow you to tap the usability of the band that is out of reach of the smaller engines.  You will cut faster, with less aggravation, and your bands will last longer. (more Board feet to the band).

Given the opportunity, I would get the most horses offered.

pineywoods

My mill originally came with 18 hp briggs. I swapped it out for a 25 hp kawasaki, what a difference. Too be honest the briggs was kinda tired, 6000 hours on the meter.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bibbyman

We sawed many thousands of bf over 7 years with our LT40 with 18hp Briggs.   I didn't knew any better.  But if it was me,  I'd pop another $500 and get the 25 hp Kohlor.  By the pictures, it looks like it has the heavy duty air cleaner on it too.  You'll be able to run the thicker .045 blades much better and saw the heavier, harder stuff better and faster.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

my 40 had the onan and it worked well, if you can go for more HP
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sdunston

Quote from: jrkimroxie on February 18, 2010, 01:19:12 PM
I'm new to the bandmill arena and was courious if the 18 hp engine on this mill is enough?  Looking to get one before this sale ends, will be cutting mostly syp 18"-30" to build my home. Hope to eventually cut some oak for inside the home, also 18"-30". Mill comes with power feed and is almost over my budget, but is there anything I've "just gotta" add to the mill??
I went with the 25HP and you would make life easier on yourself with the log deck package (LDP)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ladylake

Even 25hp is marginal in big tough logs, the more the better.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

coyotencuttin

When I was looking at the 28, the larger motor had the removable gas tank. The 18 hp motor only had the tank on the engine. A lot easier to fill the tank and more gas options with the larger motor. Nothing wrong with more power either.  Good luck, harold
Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic.

Thank You Sponsors!