iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder tire and chain placement.

Started by BargeMonkey, March 06, 2018, 01:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I've always been under the impression you ran your worst tires in the front and your better tires in the back, normally ice in back and ring in front. I'm putting on 2 new tires and my dumb question is, does it hurt to run your worst tires in the back on a grapple ? Would I be better to put the more aggressive rings and new in the back and leave the 30% ones on front ? 

Southside

Around here you run the better ones on the front so..... say_what
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

2 schools of thought for me. My experience is with heavily modified Jeeps. If I want to steer and drag the jeep through everything I put the better ones on the front. If I want to go up big hills I put the better ones on the rear.

I don't know how this translates to skidders and logging but that is my experience with jeeps. I could always climb hills better with good tires in the rear when all the weight was on the rear. but when I tried to get the front to climb it may just spin. I did it locked both ends and unlocked. always climbed better with good tires in the rear.

47sawdust

This came up in another post recently.Since most of the weight is on the rear when you're pulling a hitch put the more aggressive tires on the rear.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Stephen Alford

Ran the best on the back with the chains. Poorer tires on the front usually without chains.  The only reason was changing a tire by yourself in the woods was easier with the blade being able to lift the machine. Did not need a jack.  The c5d was terrible to climb in and falling on the chains always seemed to leave a mark.  Finding tires reasonably priced was the real pita.  Breakin them with the grapple helped a lot.   Some days ya  just got to go for a coffee :laugh:
logon

Firewoodjoe

We always put the new tires in the rear  of grapples but it wasn't for traction is was due to side wall and tread fatigue from having heavy weight on them. Old tires blow out on the back.

bushmechanic

We always put our good tires on the rear but that was for forwarders needed them for the weight, old tires would last forever in the front but not a day in the back. I booted a tire with crusher belt and got eleven years out of it on the front of a double rack TJ 230D.

Maine372

the way it was explained to me was that it was easier on the driveline for the front to be pulling just a little bit. so the new tires and the new chains on the front increased the diameter and thus the gear ratio. the steering agility is also a plus.

mike_belben

Best tires on rear, chains on front to help ballast that end down.  
Praise The Lord

OH logger

john

newoodguy78

OH logger you certainly pegged that one  :D :D

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

BargeMonkey

It does make sense to run the newer rubber on the rear as far as load, the rear tires take such a beating even if your careful. One tire on the back isn't to bad, I may try and patch the other one with some belting and try it on the front chained up. Ive been hunting down rims, like hens teeth for a 24.5 in 20 bolt, Comstock thinks he may have a couple if not ive found 4 in WI. 

mike_belben

i guess the good tread in front would make sense if you had to primarily back up steep hills to get at the logs and pull them down.  

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

Better tires on the front also is nicer if you have obstacles to drive over like rocks and trees. that way the rear is not trying to push you over instead the front is climbing and pulling you over.

Skeans1

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 07, 2018, 08:53:35 PM
It does make sense to run the newer rubber on the rear as far as load, the rear tires take such a beating even if your careful. One tire on the back isn't to bad, I may try and patch the other one with some belting and try it on the front chained up. Ive been hunting down rims, like hens teeth for a 24.5 in 20 bolt, Comstock thinks he may have a couple if not ive found 4 in WI.
You might try Fraley Tractor too there was a lot of those TJ skidders out here at one time Eric.

Southside

So the consensus is to run the better tires on the skidder. Got it!  :laugh:
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Ill be the lone voice of dissent and suggest putting good tires on both ends.  Just to stir the pot
Praise The Lord

jwilly3879

Larger diameter on the front will steer better. The front axle will be pulling the rear. Larger on the rear while better for the added weight of the hitch will tend to push the front. 

starmac

The main logger I haul for was brand new to logging the first winter I hauled for him. He put the chains on the rear to start with and wound up having to change them to the rear to get it to steer, The tires were good all the way around on it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BargeMonkey

My fronts are 30-40% with 2x diamonds on them worn about the same. It does make sense with running the newest in the back as far as loading up a tire and blowing one out, I think that's what ultimately did this one in, I don't come out empty 😂 I've honestly ever only bought 4 skidder tires new in my life, actually got quite a few yrs out of set of ag tires on the front of my 440D chained up. Run these fronts till they die, try and get some life out of these 2 spares and then just shuffle the back to the front. I'm used to buying 18.4 or 23.1 tires and chains, 24.5 isn't as bad as 30.5/35.5 but 8k bucks still hurts during a slow winter. 
 I'm hunting down spare rims, waiting to hear from someone local before I push on the ones for sale in WI, you can't ever find what your looking for "for sale" till about 1wk after you needed it, I go drag 4 used decent tires mounted on rims home and it would be yrs till I needed one, how my luck works. 

I've got probably 300 sticks on the ground right now, good luck finding them, see a couple of the piles but that's about it, probably 100 to go over the bank and it's not worth the risk with the snow / ice right now. I should have pulled my 440D before the first snow storm, I'm tempted to snowshoe the 1.5 miles in from the blacktop, roads are too warm now to do an outlaw maneuver 😂 

David-L

I must be doing something wrong, can't even consider new tires. I want the best sidewalls I have on the back. Larger planetaries dont care what chains are on back, smaller ones do.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Firewoodjoe

Barge u answered your in question 😆 farm tires on front lasted for years. Good tires on back last.

mike_belben

Speaking of planetaries.. On old skidders who had the most bulletproof? Whos were most expensive to maintain?   Best or worst or whatever.  Any planetary commentary would be good info to share. 

If i were to buy a skidder i think itd be a clark 66x.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!