Sponsors:

A Bark Eating Animal/Rodent

Started by Barebuttminer, February 16, 2012, 04:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Porky will strip the bark off most any tree, even bitter pin cherry. Bleck. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Barebuttminer on February 27, 2017, 12:47:59 AM
The critter, believe it or not, was a field mouse or vole.

Voles will damage raspberry, blackberry and mulberry. That seems like a lot of chewing there for a little vole. They are generally base of the stem type feeders though, not up in the limbs. Musta been coming back a lot of times.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

That certainly in not vole. He may have been seen up there after the fact for a nibble, but the original culprit was certainly a porcupine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RPF2509

Porkys have been very scarce in CA for some time.  I'd guess ground squirrel or tree squirrel.  Look at the size of the teeth marks.  Mice are about as wide as a pencil line, squirrels about as wide as a crayon line. That's a lot of damage for a mouse but a squirrel could do that in a few days.

Ljohnsaw

+1 on scarce Porkies.  I've been "in the country" in northern California (not far from the OP) for nearly 30 years and have never seen nor heard of any encounters.  We've had a number of dogs that tangled with skunks, mice, gophers and voles but never porkies.

EDIT:  Sorry, Jeff.  Left the "nearly 30 years" out.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Well, I'd bet there was at least one 5 years ago.

Barebuttminer

Well I guess I have some explaining to do.  First off the tree is a mulberry tree located at my winter residence in Elverta CA., a small farming community about 15 miles north of down town Sacramento. I live here in the winter time because my unincorporated Nevada City property is inaccessible in the winter time.
There was 3 to 4 square inches of bark was being removed from the tree nightly over a period of approximately 8 to 12 weeks. If this was porky then he was most certainly a light eater.
The teeth marks left in the bark are less than a 16th of an inch wide much too small to be a porcupine tooth.
I have spoken with Trapper John from Sacramento County wild life management and he assured me that there are no porcupines in this area.
My primary reason for believing that it was a mouse eating the bark is because after I seen Fuzzy jumping out of the tree with a mouse in his mouth there was no more damage done to the tree. Of course Fuzzy wasn't about to let me close enough to inspect his catch to find out what type of mouse it was. He was probably afraid that I might take it away from him. I'm assuming that it was ether a field mouse or a vole.
Yes I to find it hard to believe that a mouse can do this much damage to a tree.
Anyway that particular branch of this tree has long since died and is now being used as a trellis for a Honey Suckle bush.
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

SwampDonkey

That does spell out the situation much better now. ;)

michigander53

This is a pic of a squirrel I caught stripping a tree in January of last year![imgleft]http://[imgleft]

michigander53

I too thought it was a porcupine, but had never seen one in our area! I only seen this behavior last winter![imgleft]http:///imgleft]

SwampDonkey

I've seen red squirrels debark small patches in spring time on hard maple and come back to it to lick the sap. Right now I have a porcupine though, that is mostly targeting hard maple and stripping the main stems. He is also in the larch and also a fir here and there. He completely girdled a 20" yellow birch. He's got to go I'm afraid. I have been trying to locate his den with him in it. ;D

Roxie

Michigander53, I've never seen anything like that, and wouldn't have believed it without the photo.   :o
Say when

thecfarm

Nothing to gauge it's size,but looks big next to a Maine gray squirrel. I think a grey one in no longer than a foot.And saying that,the ones around here are always on the back side of a tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

the chips on the ground are way to big for a squirrel I would put money on a pork pine

Jeff

This is reminding me of a topic from long ago called "Making Paper" < LINK  where on first observation, one would think the sap suckers flying in and out had pecked up a tree very bad, but until you actually new the truth, that it was wasps harvesting bark and the sapsucker visits incidental.   I'm betting the squirrel was the secondary visitor, just like the sapsuckers in the aforementioned topic. There are definitely porkies in the Frankenmuth area.  If you have woods in Michigan, it is possible of not likely you have porcupines.

I still clearly remember the day Mr. Tom and I discovered this going on and I got in there to document it. The section of tree is now in my little cabin in the back yard.

http://youtu.be/UdYjjJL9iIw

coxy

jeff did you ever find the nest

Jeff

Bogue Chitto

Dead gum that feller is hungry, or that is a mighty sweet tree.   Might want to put a trail cam. on that and post it. 

michigander53

https://youtu.be/ByueqFn6oZ8    I found this on You Tube about a squirrel stripping a tree!

Thank You Sponsors!