iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM - "Max" log length.....?

Started by E-Tex, June 09, 2018, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

I have a job next week to cut some logs up to 20' 8".  I told the guy my LT50 is rated for 21, so we are OK.  Well........

These will be the longest I've attempted so far, so I thought I run my mill from end to end and see what the length truly is.  Now, there is a black piece of tape on each end and I think I recall the WM rep telling me that was the max log length of 21'...stay within the tape and you're ok.  BUT.....I ran my mill from end to end and it looks like the true "Maximum" length is at 20' 10"....or really about 20' 8.5" so the blade has room to clear each end. 

There is a rubber bushing/stopper on each end I guess I could take off and gain a couple inches on each end.  Not sure?

I'd like some input on what your LT 35, 40, 50 will do.  Do you see the same thing?  Or am I missing something?  Not sure why they say rated for 21'.

Either way I should be ok at 20' 8", but I'd like more info before I make the trip and potentially embarrass myself and tick off the customer.

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

I recall that you can remove the rubber bumper and gain a few inches, but put the hardware back.  You would not want to derail !!!    :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've taken the rubber baby buggy bumpers off several times.
You'll be fine but DON'T slam the head against the metal at the end.....slowly exit the log.
Every 21 foot log I have sawn I always make a dry run from beginning to end to make sure placement is right and that the blade will fully exit.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

If (on my mill anyway) you have a log on the mill and the sawhead all the way toward the hitch and the end of the log is "just" in front of the teeth on the blade, when you get to the other end of the 21 foot log, the body of the blade will still be in the log/cant but the teeth will exit the far end!

I hope you can understand what I just said!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

It's a real pain to saw so close to max capacity. Yes, it will cut 21', but not without difficulty. If the log is off just an inch it won't go into the log, or the band won't exit the log. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Dave nailed it. Even 1/4" past the black marks and you won't be able to get the blade in or out of the log. Longest I have sawed on my LT 35 was 20'6". Be dang sure your logs are cut square on the ends too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sawmill Man

What Poston failed to mention is what happens when you do exit the log too fast. Any bounce back at all and the back of the still turning blade hits the end of the log. The results will be hair raising lol
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

E-Tex

thanks for he help.....

I've marked 20' 8.5" from end to end and made several "practice" runs to make sure I can clear the log.  (The marks I've added are about 2" inside each of the black tape marks WM added).

I called the customer expressing my concerns and he said we can cut off an inch or two as well.

And, once I get the logs loaded I will make dry-runs.  Should be fine.

I feel much better now,,,,,,,,"THANKS" again for the input.
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

Quote from: Sawmill Man on June 09, 2018, 07:44:27 PM
What Poston failed to mention is what happens when you do exit the log too fast. Any bounce back at all and the back of the still turning blade hits the end of the log. The results will be hair raising lol
I'm in the "Backing a running blade into the log CLUB" already!!!!!
L2 Sawmill LLC

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

I know sawing 20' on my LT40 is enough of a headache that I avoid it. 16's are plenty. One other problem sawing 20's is that my board dragback can't go past the log far enough to hook the board. It screws up the whole workflow. I think you will find sawing these max length logs enough trouble that you will wish you had charged double for them, IMHO.
Too many irons in the fire

Brucer

You can remove the bumpers to get a little extra length. In fact, I replaced the cotter pins holding them in place with "hairpin" pins. One thing you have to watch for: if you run the head all the way to the front without the bumper, the power shoe will shear off the nylon nut that holds the contact strip in place.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Percy

You think you 35,40 and 50 guys got it bad when it comes to long logs, my LT70 with no extension is spec'ed at 20'4". Positioning/cutting a 20 footer is an exercise program in itself. Way back  when Marv was still at Salmon Arm Woodmizer, he built me an 18 inch extension out of an old piece of LT40 frame which was a life saver .....at first, but then I was wanting to do 22 footers and 24 footers so I got a 6 foot extension...Now I wanna do 30's.....it seems to be a never ending cycle.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Dave Shepard

When you get out around 57' capacity, that seems to be close to enough. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Percy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 10, 2018, 11:03:54 AM
When you get out around 57' capacity, that seems to be close to enough.

Ayecarrumba!!!That is a long unit!!! Impressive......No one has asked you to cut a 60 footer? :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

teakwood

Wow!! Is that a beam for a roof ridge pole?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Southside

Never have to end match flooring again with that baby!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

While I was in Liberia, we saw 2 lt40's from Europe and the roller toe boards were powered. That would sure make it easier to set up a log that is close to max length. 

Another option is to leave the log over 21' and trim both ends to fit after it's loaded. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

4x4American

Quote from: Percy on June 10, 2018, 10:43:48 AM
You think you 35,40 and 50 guys got it bad when it comes to long logs, my LT70 with no extension is spec'ed at 20'4". Positioning/cutting a 20 footer is an exercise program in itself. Way back  when Marv was still at Salmon Arm Woodmizer, he built me an 18 inch extension out of an old piece of LT40 frame which was a life saver .....at first, but then I was wanting to do 22 footers and 24 footers so I got a 6 foot extension...Now I wanna do 30's.....it seems to be a never ending cycle.
They claim 20'2" on my super 70.  I have it figured out though, when I get a guy brings me in 20' logs to cut, I call my friend to bring over his hud-son that can cut 33'.  16' is the longest I cut typically.  I will cut 18' if absolutely necessary.  Anything over that I sub it out.  I'm too old for those kinda headaches lol 
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

It's this guy going to cut the 20's in half to get two 10's?   :D A false economy if ever there was one. 

WV Sawmiller

4X4,

When I turn 126 y/o like you I won't cut 20' lumber either. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I've had several inquiries about the longest lumber/beam my saw will cut.  I know the specs say 21', but I tell customers 20' is max.  I've only milled up to 16' to date.  I'm inclined to add a handling charge for 16' plus because it is more labor intensive.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

I know some sawyers add an extra fee for real long, real big or short logs but I'd try to keep the billing system as simple as you can unless it is a significant amount involved. if they just want one log out of the whack cut long for a header I would probably not charge extra. Same as I do for short log, where I bill by the hour, but if they just have 1 or 2 I just bill same as the others.

If they are just bringing you one long log or all are long, I agree a higher rate would be appropriate since you can't make it up elsewhere. JMHO.
Howard Green

Stuart Caruk

The real question is... so what if the logs are 20' 8" long. 

Does the customer really need 20' 8" long boards? If not, cut the sucker in 2 and save both of you a ton of work. You'll get more boards to boot.

It's kind of like having 42' logs but needing a bunch of 2" x 4" x 8'. No sane person would cut 40' and trim them later...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

YellowHammer

I don't custom saw over 16'.  Some people have a good reason for 16's, and the board footage adds up pretty fast, so its good money, but most just want it because its more convenient to them. With a dragback, 16's are not too bad, but definitely not fun.

I've even had people who want longer cuts call me out on it and say they know my mill will cut longer and I tell them maybe it can - but I can't, and send them down the road to a buddy who has an LT-15 and is hungrier than I.   ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!