iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choosing my first real bandsaw mill: Logosol B751 or Woodmizer LT15

Started by rtetu, September 11, 2018, 08:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on September 16, 2018, 02:48:59 PM

Your age argument will not stand up.  I was 59 when I bought mine and that was 16 years ago.  ;D
You just gotta work smarter, not so much harder. ;D 82+ and still sawing and logging
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SawyerTed

Fuel storage is always an issue whether gasoline or diesel.  Each has its own set of issues.  If I knew I could only get ethanol gasoline, I would go with the diesel.  There will be fewer fuel storage issues for diesel if you store it properly.

I'm 56 and plan on continuing to mill lumber for many more years.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

I myself would go with diesel. I have a Honda motor on my mill. Not used alot. Like once a year. Seem like everytime I go to use,fuel pump needs to be replaced.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rtetu

Well, we pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered the Woodmizer LT15 with the Yanmar 10HP diesel. We also got 20 blades, a complete tune up kit (we live on an island and getting parts can be interesting), and 78" and 48" Logrite cant hooks; we are looking at 6 weeks or so for delivery. 

Through all the process of deciding which mill with which company, I found Brett Lottman and James Guerard to be the deciding factor in choosing Woodmizer: never pushy, very patient, and helpful. They never put down the other companies but were always doing business with us as if our satisfaction was the key element. Some of the other companies did not match their customer service: some forgot to call back or write back, some were extremely pushy and badmouthing everybody else, some were basically rude and dismissive, especially when we didn't want a giant mill with all hydraulics.

We especially want to thank all the contributors to the thread above: my better half and I read all the messages one last time before calling Mr. Guerard and we were consistently grateful for all the time and thought you put in answering my questions. This purchase may not seem to be much for you guys who mill a lot and have big sawmills, but it is a massive portion of our yearly income and the care you put in helping us decide was gratifying. If we did not buy exactly what you felt was right, please understand that we may have seen something in our situation who made a different decision better for us: we are not doubting your expertise. 

I am afraid you may have caused yourself a lot of work: I know I will be back for more help. Again, many thanks, thanks to the moderators of the board, and our thanks to the sponsors.
I love wood almost as much as my wife.

Magicman

I would recommend that you spend much time reading the operator's manuals, etc. and familiarize yourself with the various definitions and adjustments.   :P  Also remember that here on the Forestry Forum the only dumb question is an unasked question.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You will like it!!
May all your building projects come out the way you dream of them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

Nice and congratulations!  It is a fine mill.  

Did you get the trailer kit?  If not then I would spend some time and lay out a flat and stable pad of some kind, concrete, steel, crossties, etc for the mill to sit on.  The bed is welded, but comes in sections, and the sections need to be bolted together flat and true.  It also helps to get it a little off the ground so you don't have to bend over as much.  A roof or tarp is always nice to have to protect it from elements.  

Time to start gathering up some logs!  Then every now and then for the next few weeks, fire the old CSM and make a few cuts so you don't forget how much work it takes, and how slow, noisy and dirty it is.  Then when you get the LT15, and make the first boards, you won't be able to wipe the happy grin off your face.   8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rtetu

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yellowhammer, I did not get the trailer kit for a few reasons, one of them is that I am afraid of it leaving the property too easily when I am away with students, or having a hard time saying no to people who want "just a few logs milled" at their place. I also did not quite want to spend the extra $2000. I have a good spot graded, and I am getting some heavy pyramid concrete blocks to keep it off the ground and level.

Does anyone know where I can go online to get user manuals and assembly manuals? I do not see that on the WM website.

terrifictimbersllc

Call WM indianapolis and ask someone in either parts or tech support to email them to you, they will happily do it while you're on the phone.  I dont think you can get them by yourself.  If you haven't already, ask them to have your new mill registered in your name so you can log in to your account and see it in the parts finder.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

Congratulations on the new mill!  You will wonder why you even tried the CSM.  My CSM days are like a nightmare compared to band saw milling. You will likely run across times when the CSM is the right tool.

There are several good video series on YouTube on the LT15.  You might also ask your Wood-mizer dealer to go ahead and send the training CD and the manuals.

Yellowhammer's suggestion to get your site ready is spot on.  Also consider collecting your sawmill tools - things like 
tape measures 
lumber crayons 
a big Sheetrock joint compound knife (to scrape sawdust off boards)
a couple of long handle scrub brushes(to brush sawdust off and out of the mill)
a small framing square 
a spray bottle to spray automatic transmission fluid for lube for the mill(Wood-mizer recommended)
a magnetic mechanics tray to hold measuring tape and other tools
some plastic felling wedges (you will need these to open a kerf to back out of a cut)
a hatchet and/or a carpenter's axe to drive the wedges and to trim that odd limb or knot that gets in the way
Hearing protection
Steel or composite toe shoes (there will come a time you appreciate them)
Wedges to chock logs to keep them from rolling 

There are other tools others may think of or use that I haven't mentioned.  After purchasing my mill, I soon realized it takes several more tools to make the sawing happen.  I have dedicated tools to the mill so I don't have to go looking for them.  Looking for tools kills productivity.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Several busted toes later, +1 on the composite toe shoes :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Way to go ! Well thought out decision.  You will be happy.  Excited for you and good decisions on the cant hooks.

Magicman

Quote from: rtetu on September 18, 2018, 05:20:34 PMDoes anyone know where I can go online to get user manuals and assembly manuals?
Just call your dealer and see if he can get them sent to you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

2014 LT14go owner here.  I went with Woodmizer because they have a long experience record, so I expected them to know what they're doing by now.  They had good customer service reviews, many locations, and are here in the US.

The LT15 is a good manual mill.  The only negatives in my opinion are that they didn't supply and hour meter on the mill, yet all the maintenance is in hour intervals.  The other negative is that they don't make a hydraulics upgrade for the mill.  As I gained experience, I would have purchased upgrades.  If you want hydraulics, you have to make them yourself.  They also don't come with stainless covers for the cross rails.  I'd like a set of those.  They also don't offer a manual toe board option, but I've purchase one from an LT28, but haven't mounted it yet to be able to review it properly.  One of the positive is that you can use the MP100 beam planer with this mill.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rtetu

One more time, thanks for all the help and hints. 

For those of you who mentioned the great and quick service at WoodMizer, here is an anecdote. I emailed Mr. Guerard at the Oregon shop at 4:48, asking for the manuals, as suggested by Magicman. By 4:56, he had sent all four files and manuals with exactly what I needed to start setting up the base for my mill. That is beyond good service. Meanwhile, one of the companies who wanted to sell me a mill as not gotten back to my last email from last week.

Woodpecker52

Bought Lt15 start mill in Feb. Found extra rail section nearby.  Set up was easy,cuts accurate lumber, use woodmizer blades double hard no problems.  Made my own blade sharpener from an adjustable electric chainsaw sharpener. Only drawback was it was manual push, No problem I just used a 1hp ac reversible  electric motor, gear reducer, shafting ,drive sprocket , 4 idler sprockets #40 roller chain and reversing drum switch, then  used existing holes and end brackets . Ends on roller chain met in the middle hole of carriage frame, I did mount the switch above the push bar so I can walk with it to feel and observe the cut from behind or front for that matter. I will install two lever activated kill switches on each end next week.  So far it cuts like a dream, no pushing.  I am glad I chose the start vs the regular LT15 money saved, but things just fell into place.  As far as quality and engineering and service I am well pleased.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!