iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Rough Cut Deck Trailer Decking Customer

Started by jemmy, September 16, 2018, 06:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemmy

Got my first request for pricing on white oak deck boards, 16ft with 2ft dove tail 2" thick. What are the going rates, what would you all charge? My calculated rate was 2$/bdft but being 16ft I was thinking 2.50-3.00$/bdft due to handling. They will be rough sawn on my circle mill. 
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Be sure that he wants a full 2" rather than 1½".  Many "store bought" trailers can not accommodate a full 2".  I am just saying communicate and be sure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

What do you guys mean by dove tail on trailer decking?

You can always upcharge for Blackwood decking ...just found this video when searching for dove tail decking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHUk6SKmdZw
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

firefighter ontheside

Dovetail refers to the back part of some trailers that slopes down.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

My trailer definitely needs 1 1/2" deck boards.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jemmy

Yeah i thought they weren't true 2" but he said he ordered them from a mill before. I was just looking for ball park prices and what not for $/bdft. 
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

SawyerTed

Firefighter, my trailer came with 1 1/2" decking.  The boards were held in place on both ends by angle and a single row of screws about 6' back from the front.  I cut a 1/2" rabbet on the ends of 2" boards when I redecked it. Worked like a charm.

Jemmy, if you can get $2.50 or $3 a board foot that's good.  I've been getting $2/board foot.  They park their trailer and I load directly on to it.  I will ask more if I have to stack and sticker etc.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

Good idea.  It would be nice to have a stronger deck.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Around here, $2.50/bf for 2" white oak trailer decking.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

Not to be annoying, but those trailers are actually "beaver-tail" trailers.  Seems they've morphed into being called dovetail trailers by quite a few people.  Just throwing it out there.
HM126

jemmy

Semantics are funny, I use my language to portray a message/picture and dove tail works beautifully. But maybe I'll throw a beaver in the mix  :D 

jemmy

Due to the lack of availability and handling of 16ft logs I left it up to customer to go for 2.25 for variable length and 3.00 for 16ft boards. It makes sense for me and the customer has his choice. 

Magicman

My research says; There may be a difference historically but it doesn't seem to be known among anyone as the terms are used interchangeably for any type of tail fixed or hydraulic.

If I had to choose I would say more often I hear the dovetails are fixed with ramps and beavertails are hydraulic.  But again its not a defined term so I wouldn't assume anything when referencing one or the other.  The movable beavertail probably came from it's ability to move up and down similar to a beaver's tail whereas a dovetail is fixed such as a "dovetail joint".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I found the same basic answers to the beaver tail/dovetail debate.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

charles mann

I figure since trailer manufatures themselves call it a dovetail, even the hydraulical 1s, dove is the termanology is the correct 1. 

I too need to redeck my gooseneck and bumper pull. Untreated lumber dosent seem to last long nowadays. Im gonna have use store bought material sizing. Just gotta get the dang torx screws out and some are bent and some have the heads tore off. Treated lumber will be used this go around. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

barbender

White oak decking will outlast any treated material. The difference isn't just the decay resistance, but also the strength and shock resistance of the white oak. Untreated softwoods don't have a chance, doug fir and larch might be ok if you're hauling lots of tracked machines and you destroy them before they have a chance to actually decay.
Too many irons in the fire

jemmy

Yep, that's why I am selling rough sawn w/o and locust as trailer decking. They're restant to rot and tough as nails! If someone brings me logs, I will cut them up at 1$/bdft, I always offer my suggestions when asked. The one market I am looking at getting into is mobile sawing. I am already mid way through a chainsaw slabbing unit 090 with 84" bar, and I am looking at a smaller band saw that I will turn into a mobile unit or serve as a thin slicer of cads from the circle mill. A lot of choices that need to be made between buying/timeline of another mill, building a roof over my circle mill, and putting together a shop. 

mike_belben

dovetails definition is an interlocking joint.  The oilpan notch at the back of a racecar trailer mimics this joint and is the source of the name.  However on non tilt trailers they also have to add a drop down (beavertail) to break the crest into two smaller points so as not to hang up the rocker panels on a low car.  So the dovetail and beavertail got mixed together since they were so often paired. If you have a drop in the back and an oilpan notch then it'd technically be a doved beavertail.  

Charles, its easiest to circle saw the board just behind their crossmember line then sawzall or disk grind the bolts after youve knocked all the wood pieces away from the rusty hardware.  Just be careful for boards springing up.  
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: charles mann on September 16, 2018, 10:47:35 PM
I figure since trailer manufatures themselves call it a dovetail, even the hydraulical 1s, dove is the termanology is the correct 1.

I too need to redeck my gooseneck and bumper pull. Untreated lumber dosent seem to last long nowadays. Im gonna have use store bought material sizing. Just gotta get the dang torx screws out and some are bent and some have the heads tore off. Treated lumber will be used this go around.
That's what I'm worried about when I have to re-deck my trailer.  I bet every one of those torx screws will break.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dave Shepard

Some calls it a beavertail. I calls it a dovetail.un-hunh. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jemmy

saws saws and crow bar for getting decking up?

charles mann

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 17, 2018, 07:43:42 AM

That's what I'm worried about when I have to re-deck my trailer.  I bet every one of those torx screws will break.
I bought a 3/8" impact and a bunch of torx bits. My cordless impact driver wouldnt even budge the screws. I may, if i break to many with the air impact, just drill them out. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

Quote from: barbender on September 16, 2018, 11:10:35 PM
White oak decking will outlast any treated material. The difference isn't just the decay resistance, but also the strength and shock resistance of the white oak. Untreated softwoods don't have a chance, doug fir and larch might be ok if you're hauling lots of tracked machines and you destroy them before they have a chance to actually decay.
Im gonna use apatong treated with boiled linseed oil. Not enough white oaks i have access to and if im gonna have to buy wood, i might as well buy apatong. My dad built a trailer over 30 yrs ago and used apatong and its still solid. The trailer has rusted out from around the wood in places. It'll cost me bout $600 more compared to "treated" pine, but if the wood out lasts the trailer, it'll be worth it. 
Temple, Tx

Magicman

Just bend and break to old screws off.   You are gonna drill a new hole anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!