iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie - DINO Model 120 Sharpener

Started by Greyman, September 18, 2018, 04:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyman

First post - many more to come over the next few years...

I recently bought a 1996 Timberking B20, I'll be using it to build a D-log butt-and-pass cabin and several outbuildings in central Idaho starting next summer.  It came with a DINO Model 120 Profiler and about 40 blades that are 7 degree hook angle.  I'll be cutting nothing but fir and pine, and from what I've read a 12-13 degree angle would work best.

The original manual describes the operation of the sharpener, but says that it needs to be sent back to the factory to change the hook angle - is that true?  It has some sort of adjustment (8/12/16/20/25, see pic) but there's no description of what that means.  I can't imagine that's the angle, I gather it would need a new cam.  I can't find any info on the internet on this sharpener or related info from the manufacturer (Portamill Ltd in Australia). 

Can a 7 degree blade be ground to 12-13 degrees with this sharpener, presuming I could modify it?

How big of a deal is it to stick to 7 degree blades for softwoods like this anyway?  

The Timberking site (and several others) doesn't even list the hook angle - they just have one choice for B20 blades.  I'm guessing they are 7 degree and they figure that's a general purpose blade?

Pic below of the front - ignore the handle, it does have a 110v motor to drive the mechanism but the Amish guy I bought it from added it.

hamish

The 8/12/16/20/25 is for different blade profiles, there should be a page in your manual showing the different profiles.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Bruno of NH

I would stick with the 7° bands
If your logs have lots of knots
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brian_Rhoad

The numbers are for the hook angle. I have 2 of the Dino sharpeners. I use 10 and 8 degree hook angles. For 10 degree hook angle I use the 12 degree setting and raise the left side of the blade rest 1/8".  

You can download manuals here:https://www.dinasaw.com.au/manuals/

The manuals are for the newer sharpeners but the basic working design is the same.

Greyman

Yes, I was just looking at that this morning.  Their website has been down every time I've checked it before.  I've skimmed thru the manuals they have, and they have an email address so I'll try that as well.

The manual I have (a section in the original B20 manual) explains the basics of how to operate it but not how to adjust it.  I get the impression that the sharpener and setter (also DINO) came with the early B20's like mine (S/N 100x) and it was preset to the blades that came with it.  It's not in the B20 manual that Timberking sent when I re-registered it.  

JB Griffin

I know nothing about a dino sharpener, but, you most likely will get very, very poor performance out of a 12 or 13deg hook angle. My recommendation would be a 7deg like a 7/35 Kasco or 7/34wm if the logs are mostly clear with only small knots, or a 4deg  if you have lots of knots.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Thank You Sponsors!