iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Towing with Sprinter/Transit Van??

Started by buckingbrutus, December 14, 2018, 09:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckingbrutus

Anyone tow a sawmill with a sprinter/transit type van?  I currently have a 16 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4, which tows awesome.  However I do a mix of sawmill and general contracting, and find myself changing out tools all the time, and the Sprinter van thing would suit me MUCH better for, well, basically everything...except I'm still not sure how well it will tow the sawmill.  It's rated for like 5k towing, but I live in the mountains of NC.  4x4 is available.

The pickup is a real hinderance with turning radius, and is an issue regularly.  I also do not care for all my support tools being in the bed tossing around getting rained on, nor do I like having to swap a bed full of tools 2-4 times a week.  The Sprinter van (or some equivalent) would allow me to just leave the van packed full of tools, and has a much better turning radius.
Woodmizer LT50WideDiesel
Kubota backhoe
Other stuff

Bruno of NH

My friend has the sprinter 4x4
That thing is a beast
I think it would pull the mill easy.
Remember the tow capacity numbers count for the van full of cargo. 
In Europe that's their pickup to
A sprinter 4x4 cab and chaise with flat bed.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

stihltoomany

Wind resistance with a sawmill is more important than about anything the weight is really minimal for most vehicles I would think any full size van should Tow a Sawmill without any problem whatsoever
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

terrifictimbersllc

Be able to stop when the brake lights go on in front of you.  

If a vehicle is rated for 5K towing capacity I would be nervous about whether it is safe to use it to tow a 4500 pound mill.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

esteadle

Yeah, I was also going to say that >stopping< a sawmill in a controlled manner is a bigger part of towing it than whether you can hit 70 going up a 12% grade. 

What is your mill weight? 
Does your mill have working brakes?

Proportional brake controllers are wonderful things...make sure the van can be wired up for it if it does not come with it. 

"Sprinter" is a brand name I believe for Mercedes. Are you getting one of those, or are you getting a similar model by another manufacturer. 

Satamax

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 14, 2018, 10:04:25 AM
My friend has the sprinter 4x4
That thing is a beast
I think it would pull the mill easy.
Remember the tow capacity numbers count for the van full of cargo.
In Europe that's their pickup to
A sprinter 4x4 cab and chaise with flat bed.
Well, we have small pickups too, Hiluxes, nissan navarra, and mitsubishi L200. 
But for people working, the usual choice, 3.5 ton tipper or van. I have this, but it's on it's way out! Europe wants us to buy new vehicles, and won't let us ride old bangers anymore. Sad sad sad, because despite the 2.5 liter turbo diesel, it's a beast. Climbs everywhere. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

buckingbrutus

I think the weight is 4500, I've got the diesel which I know adds a couple pounds.  Honestly I don't really feel it behind my Ram, the brakes are nothing special, my brake controller is maxed out with the sawmill, but still barely feel it, but I know they do work.  I think it's just such a small trailer for what the Ram is capable of, so doesn't really make an impact.

I was leaning toward the Sprinter, but not set on anything yet.  It's the only one I see that comes with 4x4 I think. 
Woodmizer LT50WideDiesel
Kubota backhoe
Other stuff

Magicman

As long as it is "limited slip" 4X4 you should be good to go.  Non limited slip will get you stuck....bad.  Been there with one front and one rear wheel spinning and stuck.  Had to winch it out.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

muggs

A good brake controller makes a difference. I've towed all over the U.S.    

Bruno of NH

The beauty of the sprinter it's a modified all wheel drive you can engage. I think.
I had a GMC 2500 all wheel drive van for 5 years it was the best 4x4 i have ever owned.It went every place and I towed a 7,000 lb dump trailer with it.
Sadly they don't make it anymore .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

curved-wood

I have a sprinter (not 4x4 ) Great machine. 3,500 pounds inside load. Very economical on diesel fuel. Very confortable and easy ride for long trips. I have the longer and the higher. 6'6'' clear height inside so I could stand up. I could put 17 feet boards between the benches and 14 feet at the back of the bench and close the back doors. I had carry 4,000 pounds in it for a 4 hours drive. Did 21 mi/gal US at 60 mph. On the way back I did 19 mi/gal at 70mph. So speed is more a factor than load. 
The back is light so 4x4 is  a good option if you plan to carry a mill off a solid ground. 
I am afraid of the side winds but it is ok unless it is very high winds. Rarely happen and just need to slow down a bit.
The weak part is maintaining the mechanic's. My Mercedes dealer is far. Some Dodge dealer might be able to help since for a while Dodge was the North America representative. Local garage either dont have a ceiling high enough or dont have the right software to play in it even just for an oil change ! Might be a good idea to check around if local garage could do the maintenance unless you buy it new.

Satamax

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 15, 2018, 11:08:01 AM
The beauty of the sprinter it's a modified all wheel drive you can engage. I think.
I had a GMC 2500 all wheel drive van for 5 years it was the best 4x4 i have ever owned.It went every place and I towed a 7,000 lb dump trailer with it.
Sadly they don't make it anymore .
Well, all mercedes sprinter 4x4 i know of, are rear wheel drive, with high and low transfer case. And they engage the front. But there is no central differential as far as i know. May be on the old vario series. 
Well, may be the more modern ones have some sort of fancy stuff. 
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4: engageable all wheel drive for professional commercial-vehicle users - Daimler Global Media Site
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Dave Shepard

I like the idea of a 4x4 Sprinter, but haven't had the nerve to price one.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crusarius

great option also doubles as a camper when you know your just to tired to keep driving.

curved-wood

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 17, 2018, 05:13:12 PM
I like the idea of a 4x4 Sprinter, but haven't had the nerve to price one.  :o
4x4 goes for around here $62 to $65,000 can (= around $45,000 US). Here the non 4x4 diesel Mercedes is about the same price of the Ford Transit diesel.

Bruno of NH

My friend's  Sprinter 4x4 diesel is a high top extended length crew model.
The crew model has passenger seating.
I think he paid $60,000.00 for it.

Crusarius

I do believe they have a 1 ton dually 4x4 option. its pricey but they sure are nice.Lots of room. great utility vehicle

curved-wood

On the Mercedes website they price the basic 6 wheeler, model 3500, the longest and the highest at $59,500 $can . We all know that you could never buy a strip basic truck. Probably add another $5 to 7,000 for a 4 wheels version. The 6 wheels has a little over 5,000 pounds inside capacity load, and that is a lot. They are all diesel motor and with a capacity of that range it needs a diesel unless you own a gaz station. I bought mine used, 4 years old at that time. It is a 2500 model ; I could had a 3500 model one year older for the same price. May be a new one in the future never know

Bruno of NH

They have become very popular with all the plumbing and heating contractors in my area

Thank You Sponsors!