iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Wow Guys, you are turning out some good stuff and that is a nice operation Busybeaver.   :)

This Whatcha Sawin' topic began very innocently several years ago when a trailer load of ERC arrived for me to saw.  It was just before Christmas and I knew that it would not be sawed until the next year.  I just asked the question "Whatcha Sawin' to see what everyone else might be sawing since my sawmill would be idle.

I am making the 10,000th Reply and the topic is headed swiftly toward one million views.  Not because of me my dear friends, but because of you.  Happy Sawing!!!  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mentos

olcowhand

MM, This is my most enjoyable thread, and I'm not even a Sawyer. Thanks.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Lawg Dawg

Bought too Hot 🔥 for all this

2 red oak slabs for a pizza bar countertop

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Lawg Dawg

More 10/4 oak slabs,  heat, heat

John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Lawg Dawg

Some little 8/4 white oak slabs, always try to saw parallel to the end check, was able to contain this in one board

My barn/sawmill side yard

Big slab leaving in a Jeep :D, headed all the way to Charlotte, NC! Good luck fellers! :D

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Larry

If I take the hump off I run out of log. :D

The tough ones look like a giant corkscrew to me.  Always a challenge.

Tomorrow its full dimension 2 X 12's - 16 foot long out of white oak for trailer decking.  No problem for the mill.....big problem for the off bearer.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Larry,

When I see something with that much curve I immediately think of live edge benches. The uglier the log the prettier the bench. 

Another alternative if the log is big enough and the curve is regular enough is to make a curved front fireplace mantel. I try to center the outward curve in the middle of the mantel and square off the back just enough to remove the wane on the back side of the curve. The result is a mantle shaped sort of like an old 2 man cross cut saw straight on the back with the widest curve on the front. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Magicman on June 17, 2018, 04:43:11 PMI am making the 10,000th Reply and the topic is headed swiftly toward one million views.  Not because of me my dear friends, but because of you.  Happy Sawing!!!  

That's some AMAZING stats!! I look forward to this thread each time I log on! (daily, morning reading!) Thanks!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

E-Tex

Quote from: PA_Walnut on June 20, 2018, 07:05:01 AM
Quote from: Magicman on June 17, 2018, 04:43:11 PMI am making the 10,000th Reply and the topic is headed swiftly toward one million views.  Not because of me my dear friends, but because of you.  Happy Sawing!!!  

That's some AMAZING stats!! I look forward to this thread each time I log on! (daily, morning reading!) Thanks!
Yup, Yup......  Coffee, The Forum, and some "Whatcha Sawin' ".
Great learning and motivating tool for me. 
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Lawg Dawg

This is my live edge slab display I been sawin on

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Wowser, that is impressive and should be to any/all customers.  I also like the building.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bags

The first of a load of fair size rocky mountain aspen--- these timbers will make some pretty clear lumber since they came from a fairly boggy creek bottom

Crossroads

Nice pile of slabs dawg!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

fishfighter

I hope to be able to pick up one of my rails from the shop today. Bent the heck out of it dropping a big SYP log on it. >:( My buddy said it shouldn't be a problem to fix it. Well, I hope he is right. Wanting to do a bit of sawing this weekend.

Magicman

I'd love to be there with you sawing that Quakie bags.  Heck, I would love to be there with you doing anything.  move_it

Get-r-going Paul.   smiley_thumbsup

rjwoelk

Building a second story floor in our shop. 14x24 with stairs up the back wall. They were there from the start with a partial second story. Need more storage  and to clear out the clutter downstairs for my woodworking tools.

So a 8x14x20ft beam supported by 2 posts 2x10 joists on 16 inch spacing. 5/4 floor boards.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

In my wack of logs i have 2 that are spiral aprox 50 ft long. I was thinking a ranch gate. Twisted posts up each side one across the top set on pipe pins so it can rotate and not bother the top beam?

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Lawg Dawg

Fillin up a WIDEHEAD

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WV Sawmiller

Intermittent thunderstorms all day put a kink in my plans. I did finally get out between toad stranglers and repaired on live edge bench. I broke a leg on it on my trailer hauling it to the flea market last week - must have broken with the ratchet strap mis-location. Just punched out the old leg and grabbed another from stock, glued, drove on, cut off excess with Japanese pull saw then put it back on the mill upside down and sawed all 4 legs again. Then I cut a 12' ash log into 8/4 live edge slabs. It had a bad 2 way heart check so a couple of the slabs may find other uses by the time I get ready to use them. More rain stopped me so I packed it in. 

12' Ash log ready to load. Bad 2 way end check. Repaired bench is over on my ATV behind the mill.

Yield was 5 LE 8/4 slabs. About 120 bf.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Busysawyer

Still grade sawing cherry but took a few slabs along the way. Made some pretty slabs and had a couple nasty logs to take slabs with character. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Magicman

Oh My Bb!!!  :o

@Lawg Dawg, I would add some length to that lube tube and reroute it up and then across so that it would be out of the way.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Magicman on June 22, 2018, 09:09:35 PM
Oh My Bb!!!  :o

@Lawg Dawg, I would add some length to that lube tube and reroute it up and then across so that it would be out of the way.
Thanks MM!  I knew there had to be some kind of solution for that danG hose,  overall though, I'm very satisfied with this machine :) :) :) :)

Busy beaver, love the look of those cherry slabs

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jim_Rogers

Between rain showers here today, I managed to get another 10x10x16' cut for my customer's timber frame boat barn he's building.
some siding too:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!