iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame/Log Building Tools

Started by t f flippo, March 28, 2013, 06:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t f flippo

Was going to reply to the "Slick" or "Axe" threads but thought maybe I'd try here.

The straw that broke the camals back was not being able to find a decent pair of fireplace tongs or
ash shovel, so I'm setting up to do  some blacksmith work.Already have a leaf spring set aside for a froe and some others for timber working chisels.It's just an excuse to learn blacksmithing,which I've always wanted to learn.

Has anyone thought about contacting a local blacksmith or blacksmith guild to have tools made?

D L Bahler

i have often thought of learning some smithing, but dont have the time for it! maybe some day... id love to make my own tools, but am more than content to find and resurrect old ones.

Jim_Rogers

I had a blacksmith friend of mine make me a froe from a car leaf spring. Not the best. A true froe needs to be shaped like a wedge. Not just a hunk of steel with a sharp edge.

I have used it but it doesn't really split like it should.

You can contact blacksmiths and ask them to make you something, or you can search for "vintage" tools that have been restored and are ready to cut wood.

I think there is a list in the "for sale" section here on this forum.

Good luck with your search.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

D L Bahler

You could use a leaf spring, just hammer it out or grind it out to have a full taper along its width.

My brother has a $50 froe he bought from Woodcraft. It is straight with only a small bevel. Doesn't work too well. I want to take it and grind it down to have a proper profile.

Jay C. White Cloud

QuoteHas anyone thought about contacting a local blacksmith or blacksmith guild to have tools made?

I have several I work with here, Europe, China and Japan.  They make everything from timber wrighting to carpentry tools, a few even make my stone carving tools.  Are you just asking or did you want contact info?  I do simple black smithing, but for the "heading stuff" like hewing axes and the like, I want them looking over my shoulder.  Now it just pays to have them make stuff to my design specifications.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

t f flippo

With the sawmill and other equipment I'm doing more and more metal work and fabrication.
Thought the smithing would come in handy.Love the vintage tools but they are getting harder to find.
Considered the Woodcraft froe when they first came out but they look look generic and "chunky".
I figured I'd have to modify it to get the proper wedge and taper,so I might as well make my own.
Have bought a few books on blacksmithing over the years and buying more now that I'm setting up.
I've signed up for a seminar that the local blacksmithing guild is putting on.

Just curious.And after reading posts on the "Slicks" and "Axes",just making a suggestion.
Was motivated to make the suggestion after visiting I Forge Iron.com forum.
After I posted this I found some other posts.The one by Purple Otter is really good.

Thanks DL and Jay. Special thanks to Jim for your time and being a great moderator.

Rooster

One word...Local Flea Markets!

You can chose which "one".

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Thank You Sponsors!