iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Tree School"

Started by backwoods sawyer, March 27, 2014, 12:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

Every March for the last six years the county extension service has asked me to bring the mill operation out for a demonstration at the community college where they hold the annual “Tree School on the Umpqua”.
We spent the day hauling logs, laying out tarps, setting up the edger and this year I have the Cooks sharpening equipment set up as well. There is usually a small firewood processor and a log-rite log arch field demonstration set up there as well.
The cost is $50 for each student so those that show up are there to learn their best options for managing their timber land. It is a good opportunity for me to touch basis with several past customers as well. 
Since the fish ladder is right at the collage we stopped in to see if the green water was inviting enough for the fish to be running. Sure enough the ladder was full of nice fish.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

That is a very admirable thing that you do each year at this event.  Passing it on to our youth is planting seed for the future.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

That sounds like an awesome event that the extension service put on for the community. I used to work as a county extension agent in North Georgia. There wasn't much of a timber industry up there, unfortunately, but 60% of my county was USFS land.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

pine

Nice of you to do that for the youngsters.  Nice looking fish in the ladder.

backwoods sawyer

A good portion of these youngsters were older than me ;) It is spring break :)

Mike from log-rite was hobbling around on crutches and a cast, he had been working on building the track for his new Linn sawmill when a fair sized log pinched him. True to form he hobbled around on one foot and gave a very good demonstration. smiley_thumbsup

A good number of folks either had or have a sawmill, so the discussions were detailed and diverse. Little Jo done all the sawing so I was BSing with a group and when she shut the mill down all the woman migrated over to her effectively dividing into two large groups.

Made two to trips bring the sawmill and edger home, but still have one more trip to make in the morning to pick up the trailer and lumber.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thecfarm

A good way to get you name out there. About how many showed up?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoods sawyer

Roughly 100 people attend the tree school, I took 50 business cards and had 2 left at the end of the day. While there I was able to touch basis with three of the local tree services that have logs for me to mill, and several past customers that have upcoming milling project to schedule and lots of interest and enthusiasm from everyone. Historically this has been my most effective way of advertizing and it gives a good barometer of how productive the year will be.

If the weather was an indicator, it rained heavy while setting up, but cleared off for all three demos, and is raining heavy again ;)

Thank You Sponsors!