iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Max. gpm through LT40 hydraulic valves?

Started by Dave Shepard, March 29, 2014, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Does anyone know the max gpm I can run through an LT40 Super hydraulic valve bank? I have a 10 HP electric power pack with a good size pump on it. I'm going to be hooking that up this spring or summer, and I would like to run it through the mill with power beyond to another valve bank for functions on the bed extension, plus a couple of other things I want to run near the mill. I suspect that there is going to be too much flow to do that, and may have to use a flow divider and just send equal parts to the mill and to the extension.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

I don't know, but Bibbyman did that I think.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I believe his is a 7.5HP, but I don't know the gpm. ElectricAl has a power pack, and in his video, it was running about 500 psi back pressure, if I remember right. I can buy a flow divider, if I have to, but I think the good geared ones are pretty pricey. For right now, I'm going to steal my first roller toe board and put it on the first bed section on the extension and get a couple of 25' hoses. Later, I want to power the backstops on the BX and also build a timber turner that goes right about where the two beds bolt together.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer would be your best official source as they would know the specifics of the hydraulics on your mill.   I urge you to call them. 

If you go to the "mods" topic and read what I did,  I think my pump was set up at 6gpm @ 2,000 psi.

My pump unit was built by a hydraulic shop that I provided schematics from the mill and counseling from Wood-Miser.

I need to add that 6gpm is often too fast.  I end up feathering the valves.   But I needed this speed to run the deck.  I think ElectricAl went with 4.5 or 5 gpm.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Dave,

We are at 5.5 GPM.

I would check the GPM rating of your pump. Anything over 6 is too much.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Dave Shepard

Ok, thanks. I know it's more than 6gpm. It's got a 10 hp motor on it, and a pretty good sized pump. I'll have to see if I can get a geared flow divider and run a separate valve bank for the extension.

ElectricAl

If you have another Motor that spins at 1/2 the RPM of the 10hp. The pump will put out 1/2 the rated GPM.

Just a thought  ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Dave Shepard

I want all the gpms I can get. :D I will be running other functions with the power pack. I could also put a VFD on it and just slow it down.

Thank You Sponsors!