iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack skidder info

Started by logman81, June 26, 2011, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hey guys just want to get a little info and some advice on a skidder near me. ??? There is a skidder not to far from me that has been sitting road side in a gravel bank for over a year now. I know it is a early timber jack, I think it is a 1963 205 model. I know the guy who had it or still owns it not to sure but he bought it as a basket case a few years ago and rebuilt it from the ground up. :) It has a rebuilt Perkins diesel and I think it may have a Braden winch on it and two new rear tires. Just looking for some advice and info on these machines and what it might be worth if I approach the gravel bank owner. I hate to see it just sit and not be used for what it was meant for. :( Thinking it might be a cheap up grade to my 38hp 4x4 tractor and fransguard winch setup. I'll try and take some pics of it and figure out how to post them on here.
Precision Firewood & Logging

lumberjack48

If the price is right, it would make you a good horse, Perkins is very good motor and cheap to run.
The Ole Braden winches work good but might be hard to get parts for.
Try it out for a week [ good luck guy]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

I think it would make a good machine, probably pull a bigger hitch than my tractor increasing production. But I am wondering why it has been sitting for so long not being used? Thanks for the info. 

thecfarm

No idea the plan for the skidder,but just remember it's a MUCH heavier machine and will leave more marks than your 38hp tractor will. But it will do a lot more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

I was thinking about approaching the the gravel pit owner and asking who still owns it and see if he wants to sell it. I would be using it to clear house lots and do selective cuts on wood lots. As far as damage go's I don't think it would to much more than my tractor, it does have a lot to do with the operator. 

lumberjack48

The Timberjack per sq inch tire on the ground weight is lighter than your tractor.

Try to always back in, doing yard work, pulling limbs and all its hard to find a track.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Thanks for the tip lumberjack48 :) I would like to know more on the specs and capability of this size machine. My tractor weighs about 8,000lb. I guessing the skidder would weigh around 10,000 maybe a little more? I would like to bring it home and restore it to its original condition and show it off at the local antique tractor show at the local county fair and of coarse skid wood with it. ;D But first need to find out if the owner would sell it hate to see a rare machine like that just sit in the weeds.

thecfarm

What I'm trying to say is you will be twitching out more with it. Can't imagine you twitched out a half cord or more with your 38 hp tractor.That's where the weight will come from.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

I understand what your saying. My tractor will pull just shy of a half cord on flat ground. I would think the skidder would be around the half cord or better. I'm going to take some pics of it today and try and post them for you all to see. ;D

lumberjack48

The TJ will handle a cord+, and be twice as fast as your tractor, i'll bet the Perkins will use less fuel per cord on landing.

logman81

That's a good size twitch. My tractor burns about two to three gallons a day with about a five cord on landing. So the skidder would double my production in a day. I would like to know more on this machine if anyone has any info on them.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Logman Dad had an early 60s Timberjack 205 that had a Fordson power major diesel in it and use to pul 1 to 2 semi loads 28 to 56 ton + out with it on some long skids and it use to use less then 4 to 5 gallons per day doing that and swore it was better at pulling than the 666 Clark and used less than 1/2 the fuel than the a Clark also  he also had at the same time   :) ;) ;D 8)

I think the come in at about the 12000lbs mark weight wise also  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

lumberjack48

I used a 1967 c4 with a Perkins, this pulled a cord + easy, and used about 5 gals, on a 20 cord day.

logman81

Are Perkins diesels four or three cylinder? Are parts easy to get for those engines? Good info guys I really appreciate it a lot. I try to get some pics for you soon. I don't think that it is a 205 though more like a 200 or 201, judging by the pictures I have seen of similar machines on here.

logman81

Planning on taking a look at the skidder soon were would I look for the tag on this machine. As far as I know it is a 1963 model year. What is the difference between the 201 and 205 models?

logman81

No one has any more info or specs on these older small skidders ???

mog5858

well i not that smart on tj but i do have a 201 and my name plate is on the right hand side under the fule tank by the middle of the skidder but i have sean 201 with the tanks in diffent place so just hunt around. but one pic would tell us more than you ever could. there lost of guys way smarter on hear then me. i shere if you get a pic we will be able to tell you what it is

logman81

mog5858 I have several pictures of the machine if you look at my other posting titled the 205B i have been talking about.

SBeange

logman81

From what I understand the Timberjack 205, along with the 209 and 215, was powered by a Ford 220. Perhaps yours has been repowered with the Perkins 4-236?

But following the 205 there was a 207 and 217, both Perkins 4-236 powered. The 217 had heavier duty components.

Scott

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

logman81

No I wound up trading my chipper for the pettibone that I am now trying to sell. Went by the gravel bank and it is still there and hasn't moved?

ga jones

you going after that c4 in glenn falls
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

logman81

Thats the plan any way! Just got to sell the ol' bone first. Lots of intrest but no one has come to look at it yet. Why you ask?

Okrafarmer

Do you have your Pettibone for sale on here?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

logman81

Thank You Sponsors!