iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flatbed construction

Started by tazz, October 15, 2010, 09:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazz

I have a GMC 7000 that I need to put a bed on. I was planning on constructing one out of oak. I have searched the site for this topic and have not found anything. Has anyone out there built a flatbed out of wood and do you have any suggestions? I plan on hauling logs and lumber on this truck. The bed will be 8'x16' and the truck has a 22,800lb gvw.

bill m

Oak will be strong but will not last. Spend the money and make one out of steel with pressure treated 2x 6 decking and it will last longer than the truck will.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Autocar

If you only plan on hauling logs and lumber just put log bunks on it and forget the floor  ;)
Bill

Ironwood

I like a bed as lo profile as possible, pierced deck is nice.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

Like Bill M said, only replace the PT with locust. It will not wear out or rot.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bill m

Locust would be a good second choice if you have access to it. I suggested pressure treated because when you break one ( and you will ) most any lumber yard will have replacements.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!