iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yote hunting

Started by Reddog, January 15, 2011, 09:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntress

Quote from: Chuck White on January 17, 2011, 08:41:37 AM
I inquired about yote furs about a week ago.  Not good!

The guy told me $10.00 skinned and stretched.

I told him they would find a ditch first!

I personally would not skin one for less than $25.00.

BUT, We hunt them anyway, sale or no sale! Good exercise and fun too!

I just checked the results of the last NAFA sale and the prices are up a little.
All USD
Western/Heavy-ave. $51.21 top $76.00
Eastern-ave. $26.15 top $47.00
Semi Heavy-ave. $22.42 top $48.00

If you know that you will be doing a lot of coyote hunting you might want to check with some of the taxidermists in the area...they may be looking for some to mount and would probably buy them in the carcass. A black yote like VT_Forestry posted could bring you $75-$150+.

"One day your life will flash before your eyes.....Make sure it's worth watching."

iffy

I read an article that said coyotes populations will always adapt to habitat. The biggest thing influencing the population is the rabbit population cycle. If outside influences such as heavy hunting, trapping or natural disaster reduces the population very far below optimum, the coyotes will compensate by having larger litters, and in some documented cases, 2 litters a year.

Heard a story once about a town meeting in one of the western states, specifically sheep country, where the coyote population was severely decimating the sheep herds. They had a lot of ranchers at the meeting, some fish and game people, biologists, news hounds, and peta. While discussing various ways of reducing the coyote population, a sweet young lady from peta stood up and asked "why can't we just neuter all the male coyotes?". A grizzled old rancher in the back stood up and said "honey, they ain't s----ing our sheep, they're eatin' them!"

SwampDonkey

The old timers around here that had sheep told me it was bears that took the sheep. Then there were bear bounties. But that was times before the war and we never had yotes that far back here in NB. Yotes will eat about anything good to eat, whatever it can get, make no mistake. Not much for sheep farming around these parts now. When you go down to the woolen mill, there is hardly a cow let alone any chance to see a sheep. ;) I must say though the neighbors had a half dozen or so for a couple years. They even had a pet silver fox. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

There are quite a few yotes in Madison.
There is lots and lots of green space in and around the city.
There have been deer seen on the capitol square.
Lots of suburbanites have lost little dogs and kats to yotes.
A few years ago they hired "Professional Hunters" to decrease the deer population in the city ;D

What a joke that was  :D  :D  :D  :D laugh_at laugh_at laugh_at
Why not just 1 pain free day?

nas

Had a big yote hanging around my place the last month or so.  I would see him at least a couple times a week.  Last week I was working on the mill and saw him sitting about 100yds behind the barn.  I got on the snowmobile and gave chase.  I was about 15-20ft behind him when he cut left, and I couldn't make the turn at 60+mph >:(  Haven't seen him since ;D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Chuck White

I just had a birthday on the 26th and my wife got me a FoxPro game call for a gift.

I think I'll be trying it out at my first opportunity.

We have coyotes come within easy shooting distance from the house, but usually they travel at night.

I think if I put the caller out around 100 yards from the house, I could likely get one to come in.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: nas on January 28, 2011, 08:10:47 AM
I got on the snowmobile and gave chase.  I was about 15-20ft behind him when he cut left, and I couldn't make the turn at 60+mph >:(  Haven't seen him since ;D

Nick

My father tried that 30 years ago, giving chase to a fox in the field. The fox was too smart and father ended up rolling the ski do. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Just Me

I grew up chasing coyotes or bob cat in the 60's-70's with dogs. There was a bounty back then, and the hides were worth something, so it paid its own way. I have a 243 with a coyote bite in the stock from when I got too close one day. They removed the bounty, and the hide prices dropped in relationship to the cost of dog food and fuel, so everyone mostly stopped around here.

Now there are coyotes everywhere. It was back then that if a coyote crossed a road they would urinate all the way across the road, we assumed because of fear of man. You never just saw a coyote, they were invisible. Now, over the last 20-30 years their habits have totally changed. They do not have any fear, they are often in town, something that just never happened back in the day. I have a house in town and there is a 5 acre woodlot across the street from me that has a fox family living in it, would not have happened back when the bounty and fur prices were up.

This was a much better place to small game hunt back then as well. It is rare to even see a rabbit track any more, and partridge hunting is pretty much just a nice walk in the woods these days.

As far as them moving around, they will cover some ground if they need to. We chased them across the Straits of Mackinaw more than once, a 5-10 mile run depending on the path they took. This is why there will be wolves in the lower peninsula if there is not already, the big lake freezes up at some point most winters in the straits.

I would suppose that the St. Laurance would not be that much of a problem for them as they seem to have no fear of man at this point. There are some fairly remote crossings that they could easily get across, one I crossed to get out of Quebec comes to mind.

Don't know if it is good or bad, but there are a lot more now. I am building on the edge of the Pigeon River Forest and I do know I do not want to see wolves in my  own back yard. The elk in the garden will be problem enough.....

Ron Scott

DEER PREDATION STUDY IN MENOMINEE COUNTY

Published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel [ http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/115154119.html]. 

Coyotes #1.  Bobcats #2.  Preliminary results of a longer-term study started in 2009. 

~Ron

Reddog

Ron that is an interesting study. Always fun to read what is being tracked.

Edit: the post was pulled that I am referring to here. But I will leave my comment it for future reference.

Don't make me call for cleanup on this thread!  >:(

I didn't start this to have it turned into a political rant!

Troublermaker

This happen about 7 or 8 miles from me. Been here all my life and this is the first time I ever heard anything like this was this year. In fact I never even seen a real coyote. We done had some wild dogs from time to time that people have drop to pack up and kill some people sheep's but never coyote. They have just show up lately.

Gloucester supervisors hear about coyote attacks

http://www.dailypress.com/news/gloucester-county/dp-nws-gloucester-coyotes-20110201,0,6201885.story

Just Me

Interesting article. They are adapting to our increasingly urban world. I like how the politicians will discuss it at their meeting in two weeks, meanwhile.........

I'm not buying the bounty does not do anything BS.  It sounds to me like something the WWF came up with and has spread around. They sure have proliferated around here since the bounty was dropped and their habits have drastically changed as I have said before.

Twelve cows is a lot of money, and it is directly out of the profit. Has to sting if it is just a small farmer. Hope he has insurance for that.

SwampDonkey

It's not so much that the bounty doesn't have an impact, it's the fact that when the bounty ends they rebound. Also, if the pelts have not much value then there are far less participants to. And when your government, as in Canada, is scared to death of guns there are far less hunters to take care of business because your gun becomes a target of tax collection to create anther government welfare job. Not every place is influenced by the WWF so much as scientific study. As far as Canada is concerned WWF ranks us at the bottom of the G8 and most people don't care (0.5 % support). Blaming some of these organizations often becomes a convenient "I told you so" even if they have little influence in the matter. ;)

Norm

I see they are using that same tired line that the more you shot the more you get. BS, I can tell you that aggressive hunting especially with greyhounds puts a dent in the population. Of course she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about nor do the college DNR boys. 

Thank You Sponsors!