iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

029 cuts out

Started by tstex, December 04, 2009, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Gentlemen,

Season's Greetings to all.

The 029 has cut out on me again.  Before starting, I dumped all the fuel, then gased-up with enthanol-free fuel & Stihl mix.  She started fine.  Got to the field and she died on me after about 5-8 minutes...tried restarting, nothing doing.

Got back to the house, changed the Champ plug to a new Bosch and it started again.  Went back out and it cut off again before I could get any real work done...the champ plug was not fouled and looked good, but I had to give it a try.  The air-filter didn't look too bad, so I did not clean it, but last time this happened, it was worse and when cleaned, it worked for a much longer time.

Your help and advice would be greaty appreciated.  Trying to get some firewood this weekend and I have really put the hurt on the 023 with this older/aged oak.  It is like cutting petrified wood, but burns like coal...

Thank you inadvance and be safe,
tstex

pineywoods

Have an 029, same problem. cracked fuel pickup line inside the tank. Apparently a common problem..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tstex

Pineywoods,

Is there a way to determine if this is the problem?  Did you fix yours by replacing the cracked fuel intake line?  If so, has your 029 given you any other problesms?

Finally, is there something on line that tells how to replace the cracked fuel intake?

Thank you,
tstex

Aces

That is one item that's talked about in the operators manual.  If you don't already have it, you can download it here: <http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/STIHL029_039_with_safety_manual.pdf>
Page 27 shows an illustration of it.  It indicates it's something we'd need to replace annually.  I wonder if that's overkill?

pineywoods

Quote from: tstex on December 04, 2009, 03:29:20 PM
Pineywoods,

Is there a way to determine if this is the problem?  Did you fix yours by replacing the cracked fuel intake line?  If so, has your 029 given you any other problesms?

Finally, is there something on line that tells how to replace the cracked fuel intake?

Thank you,
tstex

Only way I know of is to pull it out and look. You have to fish the line out through the filler  and pull the filter off the end. Then pull the carb end off and gently work it out through the small hole in the tank. Putting it back can be a pain. coat the gromet on new line with waterless hand soap. I use surgical hemostats to do the fishing and pulling. I have big fingers  ;D Mine has always been a tad hard starting, 5 or 6 pulls, but otherwise it's fine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tstex

Guys,

I pulled the air filter on the 029 and cleaned it completely.  It was fairly dense with s-dust on the side closest to the carb plate, but not as bad on the opposite side. 

After I cleaned/dried and put back on, it started wth some initial bogging, then worked well when I cut some logs....waited 8-10 minutes, and it worked well again and started fine.  :D

I bought new and have owned this 029 for 8-9 yrs, and only the last 2 times it appears that a dirty a-filter has caused the problem, but this has only happened 2 times during my entire ownership.  Is there possibly anything else happening concurrently to cause the cutting out and not starting?  ::)

Thank you very much for your help.

Season's Greetings and be safe,
tstex

Jim Spencer

I have had a problem like yours on an 028 a couple years ago and recently on an 066 and each time it was because of dust being blown into the carburetor by the impulse hose.  This is the hose that runs from your cylinder to the carburetor and the air impulse actuates a diaphram that pumps fuel from your tank to your carburetor.
On both of these saws I removed the lower plate from the carburetor and cleaned this area. Under this plate there is a small recess, (1/2) the size of a dime with a very fine screen in it that will get plugged with gooey dust and cause your saw to starve for fuel. Clean this screen if your problem comes back.
Remember this because if you use a chainsaw you will eventually need to clean this screen.
Hope this helps you.

tstex

Thank you very much Jim.  I will be out to the country this weekend and will pull the cover on the 029 and check out the carb screen...I will post back and let you know.

Best regards,
tstex

Jim Spencer

TSTEX,
I have a 028, 066, and a 029 but I have never had this problem on the 029.
The problem I did have was that I tightened the front nut holding the bar on and it froze to the stud and the stud backed out.
The front stud is mounted into plastic so don't over tighten it.
Almost had to scrap this saw because of it but finally figured out a fix after installing an oversized stud etc. I added a set screw along side stud to keep it from backing out.
Other than that has been a good saw.

joe_indi

Quote from: Jim Spencer on December 11, 2009, 10:07:32 PM
Almost had to scrap this saw because of it but finally figured out a fix after installing an oversized stud etc. I added a set screw along side stud to keep it from backing out.

Jim I need to express my never ending gratitude to you for having brought up the topic of that over-sized stud.
It was only then I became aware that such a stud existed.It is no longer shown in any parts list though it still is available if you order it.
I ordered about 100 of these studs.I had the collar in the middle machined to the shape of the stud that comes on the pro saws like MS360, 460, 660.
I use these studs as over size re-fits on pro saws that come with the thread stripped.
They are self threading studs so no re-sleeving or threading is required on the body, just tighten them down.

Joe

tstex

Quote from: Jim Spencer on December 11, 2009, 10:07:32 PM
TSTEX,
I have a 028, 066, and a 029 but I have never had this problem on the 029.
The problem I did have was that I tightened the front nut holding the bar on and it froze to the stud and the stud backed out.

Jim,

Thanks again for the heads-up.  I have learned over the yrs not to tighten things to the torque I used to...mainly because it is such a bitxh to get then unloose especially when they heat up too.

Be safe,
tstex

Thank You Sponsors!