iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 285 cd or something new?

Started by Comunga, April 03, 2018, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comunga

Hello!
I currently have a Husqvarna 285 cd which I planned on using in a mill but ended up being my everyday saw. After a few sketchy kickbacks I decided I need something with a chain brake.

I know you can add a chain brake to this saw but have been unable to find one.

So I have been thinking of selling the 285 and getting something comparable in size like the Husqvarna 390xp.

Would you guys stick with the classic or switch to a new machine? Reasons would be helpful too.
Thank you!

starmac

Why not use it on the mill and get a newer saw for your everyday saw, if you want one.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Comunga

ended up finding a local guy that will mill for a good price so I ended up not needing to mill my self, I just provide the trees. So it is just a matter of using this beast once I find a chain brake or switching to a new one. 
I just dont know how the new saws are different, would I need to get a saw with a similar size engine for the power or are the new engines more efficient and I could get a smaller one.

Maine logger88

That's a cool old saw! But me personally I'd switch to something more modern and with decent AV if I was going to do much cutting 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Comunga

It sure is! Thank you for your input, that will definitely be useful. 

starmac

What do you usually cut? that is a bigger saw than the average wood cutter actually needs. A 372 size saw is bigger than a lot of people needs, but can take care of most jobs with ease, I would not like a 390 for my only saw at all, but everybody is different and has different needs.

Comunga

good question, stupid answer time. Maybe 30 trees a year, about 12"-16" in diameter, then into firewood length. I got addicted to the power of the 285, I know I dont need that much power, I probably require around half the power but it is nice to be able to go through the firewood with such ease.

I have two husqvarna 051 but have only used them for small trees and limbs (once when I got the 285 pinched).

starmac

I hear you, we had a guy limbing and cutting the tops off of long logs on a couple of loads this last week, he was using a 288 with a 32 in bar, no cuts were in over 12 inch stuff. He had smaller saws in his truck but I guess preferred the 288. I would look into the 372 size saw, it would likely cut anything you need with ease too, and be lighter at the end of the day.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Comunga on April 04, 2018, 12:06:50 AM
good question, stupid answer time. Maybe 30 trees a year, about 12"-16" in diameter, then into firewood length. I got addicted to the power of the 285, I know I dont need that much power, I probably require around half the power but it is nice to be able to go through the firewood with such ease.

I have two husqvarna 051 but have only used them for small trees and limbs (once when I got the 285 pinched).
I'd hold onto the 285 if you're only cutting 30 trees a year.
Their tough saws, basically a 2100 without a manual oiler and smaller p/c. 
Back in the day chain brakes were an option on the Huskies. 
Here's a advertisement from 1979. 
480. 162. 285.  

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!