iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thickness planer

Started by MartyParsons, February 09, 2008, 06:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

I need some suggestions.
I would like to purchase a thickness planer. One that will get the job done. I would like to hook it up with a belt drive off farm tractor or I guess electric. It will not be used every day or maybe only three or four times a year. What should I look for? I am thinking antique or an well use unit. We have one that does one side and takes about 1/32 off per pass wow  ::). What would be a price range for somthing like this? Are there some units that parts would not be available for? I guess we could take it away and get this done. We are looking for ways to produce chips for the Bio Mizer and I have stacks of low grade RO lumber we have sawed for demonstration that I have not had a chance to market. So maybe this would be a way to clean up some lumber and produce some heating fuel.
Thanks for your advice.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WH_Conley

I have a antique Goodell & Waters here that I bought cheap ( less than today's scrap price) that I will probably never get going. It was ran from a line shaft. Needs belts and blades. Probably weights 2+ tons. Don't know if it would ever make cabinet grade but would probably work for you. Let me know if you would be interested.
Bill

bandmiller2

Marty,I would look for a reasonable sized older commercal planer,you will probibly pay less than buying a pacific rim job,and have a machine that will do some work.I have an old cast iron parks I run with a tractor PTO ,for intermittant use its fine ,plenty of power i can pick mine up with the three point hitch and move it to where I need it.Remember Marty you can run a manual transmission backwards and get a large speed increase with a little more stepup with belts and your humming.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John_Haylow

Marty, you probably are already are aware of this site, if not it may be worth a try.

John

http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

MartyParsons

I checked with the Saw-mill Exchange. Thanks.  WH_ Conley you going to be in PA anytime soon?  ;D  We have one in the family that has babbit bearings in it and I am not sure if it is still in working order. Maybe I had better go and look it up. We had ran it off a belt drive on a 2 clyinder John Deere. Thanks for the info.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

abatol

SAW A OLDSCHOOL ON EBAY FRIDAY
It doesn't matter what shape the board is as long as it's a rectangle. Smiley   Stolen Quote Thanks TOM

StorminN

How about a four-sided monster?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/for/568349202.html

$1,500 seems ok, but the shipping would kill ya at 5 tons cross-country!...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!