iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mister Sawmill

Started by Osagedon, February 12, 2008, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osagedon

I am looking into buying a portable sawmill and was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on the Mister Sawmill products.  Thanks,  Don

ronwood

Don,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with Mister Sawmill. You might want to do a search on the forum.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

solodan

Welcome Don :)

I know nothing about Mister Sawmill either other than I've seen their ads. Where are you located? by your name I'm guessing your not out this way. :)

york

Albert

thecfarm

Osagedon,welcome to the forum.While you're waiting for a reply go to the top of the page and find the search button.Put in mister sawmill.You will find a few posts about this kind of sawmill.What size,model you looking for.Doing this for yourself,trying to make some,alot of money with it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcsmpsi

What other comparable mills have you looked at?

I followed your link to mister sawmill.  To me, they seem a little light. 

Though my comparable, portable, manual mill has an 18' rated log length, I can actually cut 19', and has 4 dogs (wouldn't mind 6), with 8 leveling legs, with 1/2" steel bunks every 30", weighs around a ton and costs less $$$.

Baker (sponsor over on the left) makes similar mills to the mister sawmill that you might need to take a gander at.

Just food for thought.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Osagedon

Thanks for the warm welcomes.  To answer some of your questions I am looking at the Mister sawmill model 21. This will be a personal mill.  I dont intend on making money with it. I would like to build a workshop and cut lumber for my hobby which is building bows. Yellow Pine for the workshop, osage orange for the longbows.

Don

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, Osagedon! Do you cut out blanks, and then rive them to make your bows? There was a discussion about this somewhere a while ago. I made some pegs for a timber frame from some osage, it was some stringy stuff!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Osagedon

Dave,  In a nutshell the boards (slats)  I make bows from are 1.25" wide at the widest point tapered to.5" at the tips. The thickness of the slat in the middle of the bow is approx.  500ths tapered to 325ths at the tips. Length varies somewhere around 65 inches.  The backs of my bows are laminated with a slat of bamboo. As for the sawmilling I will probably cut 1x2's 6 ft. long from osage orange.

Greg Cook

Welcome, Don, glad you made it.
The searches appear to reveal little more than others asking the same question as you. Maybe someone will step forward who owns one. Happy Hunting!

Greg Cook
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

BlueRidge

Hello all, I've recently became acquainted with this site... seems you guys have loads of information on sawing....

To introduce myself, my name is Terry, I live in Deep Gap, NC and own Blue Ridge Sawmills and Equipment. We are the regional distributor for Mister Sawmills.

I know forums such as this has (and rightfully so) rules and obligations regarding soliciting so I'll try not to do this.

If you do have any direct questions I would be more than willing to answer any. You may email me at blueridgemills@bellsouth.net .

Tom

That's the right approach, Blue Ridge, but we don't have any problem with new folks joining in.   Have a seat over here next to the stove.  :)

thecfarm

BlueRidge,welcome to the forum.We do have loads of information on sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

does Mister Sawmill make coffee too?  ;D

That'd be a good mill mod...coffee maker on the mill...i'd never leave it..I'm in here right now because I have to eat and no one would bring my dinner to the mill.. :D

Welcome Blueridge!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Greg Cook

I, too, have heard of coffee mills, but thought they were unrelated to sawmills. Maybe that's why CRTreedude moved down to 'Rica, to be near the source.

logwalker

Osagedon, welcome to the forum. I took the time to look at the website and It looked ok but on the light side for me. I am the type that always considers used equipment first for the value. I ended up with a LT40 woodmizer, Electric, hydraulic, resaw and lapsiding attachments, on a trailer, all for $11,000. A 1994 model but very functional and workable. I first owned a manual mill for 5 years and know all about the amount of work involved in sawing. For not much more money than he wants you could end up with something that will work well and be worth your investment forever.

One of the most important things to do right on a mill are the guides. The ones on the Mistersawmill are not what I would want. I had those on my first mill and they were an endless source of headaches. The bearing in the back looks like it would work but it doesn't. It only contacts the blade at a single point and ends up rolling a flat onto the back of the band. It happened over and over to me. I finally converted over to the flanged rollers used on almost all the commercial mills and it stopped the problem. But it wasn't easy to convert the guides and I would not recommend it. Also those guides on Mistersaw don't have much in the way of adjustment. and that is very important.

Enjoy the search for the right mill. Good luck and remember we like lots of pictures here. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

zopi

Quote from: Greg Cook on February 16, 2008, 06:53:28 AM
I, too, have heard of coffee mills, but thought they were unrelated to sawmills. Maybe that's why CRTreedude moved down to 'Rica, to be near the source.

heh...I bet Juan Valdez has a CoffeeMizer....

hmmm...Biomizer...Coffeemizer...THAT would make a metric butt ton of coffee...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ARKANSAWYER

A few years back I went over to Mister Sawmills place (just 15 miles away) and looked at the mills and took some photos.  That thread should be on here somewhere.   The mills look alot like a Baker Lil buddy  model for the most part.  Workmanship was good and the mills were made from steel.  Come pick it up and stop by the mill and we will give it a run.
ARKANSAWYER

Osagedon

Thanks Arkansawyer and everyone else for the info.  Greg Cook a fellow forum member invited me over to see his TK 1220 and to teach me about sawmilling.  This was the first bandsaw mill I have ever seen in operation.  I was impressed with how sturdy the saw was built and how fast it sawed through the cherry log Greg had on the mill. I think I am going to give Timber King a call Monday.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get a mill from Timber King once an order is placed.  Do they keep them in stock or do they have to build them?

Thanks Again          Don

Jeff

800-942-4406 is your most accurate info on that question.

You can even talk to the head of the company if you are so inclined. Thats Will Johnson.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Greg Cook

Enjoyed the visit, Don, but unsure as to how much I can "teach" anyone about milling.  Mostly I can tell you what I've messed up on, maybe you can avoid the same issues.

My understanding from the guys at the Tk office when I picked up my saw was that the keep several 1220's on hand.  Of course, that was then, this is now...

Come back any time, and remember to bring a bow next trip.

Greg

Thank You Sponsors!