iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly Peak Scabbards?

Started by Old Greenhorn, March 15, 2019, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

I know there are more than a couple of FF members that use the Grizzly Peak Ax Scabbards. I decided to finally treat myself so I can carry my favorite ax on my belt, one that my Dad put together years ago. It's an oddball, too big for a and ax, too small for a 3/4 ax. The handle is about 16". Turns out that grizzly doesn't make a scabbard to fit this ax close enough. 
 I dropped them a message to ask about my issue and what they might have. Have any of you gotten a custom size from them? Will they make custom? My ax head measures 5-3/4 inch from bit to back. According to their recommendations, the scabbard should be 1/8' longer than the ax, so I'm looking for 5-7/8, but will work with 6". The don't have anything listed. 
 I am just asking about your experiences with Grizzly Peak
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Well, no joy here, but I emailed the folks at Grizzly Peak and got back a quick response that I should buy the next size up (6-3/8") and i can adjust it for my ax. I sent them a follow up question and they answered me at about 8:30 pm west coast time. Pretty responsive folks, I'd say. So I guess that is what I will do then and hope for the best.
 I put this response in just in case somebody else is doing a search related to this, as I did before I posted the question. Half the benefit of the FF is the huge knowledge database if you use the searches.
Tom
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

John Mc

I use a Grizzly Peak scabbard for the ax I use to drive my wedges. I just sent them the length, width and height of my axe head and asked them which scabbard I should use. I ordered what they told me, and it's been working perfectly, even though the scabbard is slightly larger than the generic fit description on their web site.

Wish I'd bought one years earlier. It has saved me a lot of hassle, searcing for where I left my axe.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

Yeah John, I saw some of your comments on earlier threads when I did my search. I have heard nothing but good about these and am treating myself for my birthday. Just want to make sure it fits. This is a special ax for me.

Old Greenhorn

Followup on this thread. I ordered the next size up as they suggested. They told me it would be easy to squeeze it down to fit my ax and would walk me through it if I had questions. Well I put it on my belt when I got it and figured I would try it out 'as is' before trying to adjust it. I took it out for a spin last week. Darn thing works just fine, no complaints, no need to adjust, but I may put a little pad in the bottom to knock down some of the rattling sound, not that it's bad. Yes, very happy with this product and having the ax right at hand when I need it. I should have got one years ago, but I'm still learning. :D
 It shows up in my videos on the weather thread I posted this morning if anyone has an interest.

Thank You Sponsors!