iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting started on the winter logging

Started by Quebecnewf, January 07, 2019, 06:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well it's winter and the Christmas holidays are past . 

Went to winter cabin

All was pristine at the cabin . Took the bucket of the chimney . Lit the fire . Warmed up the camp . Cooked a meal of seal meat for supper . Then turned in early for a good nights sleep . 

Next day was a major snow storm so spent the day doing a bit of prep work at the cabin and a lot of laying around feeding the fire and reading . Not to bad a way to spend a .day  .

Next day still blowing very hard but snow had stopped. Went in and put up small bush camp 

Takes about an hour to turn this

Into this.

Lit the fire and had a small lunch . Will start cutting paths tomorrow.

Best time of the year . Cold and lots of snow .Gotta love it 

Quebecnewf 

olcowhand

QuebecNewf,
I enjoy your pics and story telling. Stay safe out there.
BTW; how do you access the internet being out there in the wild?
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Quebecnewf

No internet at cabin only when we come home to get more gas or food.

Seal meat tastes like seal meat . There is no other meat that I've eaten that is similar . It's a very dark red lean meat . 

Quebecnewf 

BargeMonkey

g_man

Your posts and how you set up and work are really interesting. Very enjoyable !

gg

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

BurkettvilleBob

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 07, 2019, 07:44:37 PM
How far north are you ?
He's so far north that the reason he eats seal instead of reindeer...well who in the heck would Rudulph?  What a sick question.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

How far north are you ?
He's so far north Santa asks him how he handles the compass not working.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

How far north are you ?
He's so far north that if you're asking this question you are a southerner.  
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Quote from: nativewolf on January 07, 2019, 09:27:51 PM
How far north are you ?
I swear the line of N/S here is the C/D canal but then you get south of I-10 In LA/TX and those from VA are Yankees too 🤣. My last deckhand thought Albany was the end of NY / civilization. I read alot so when someone puts up where their from I look, Wikipedia is a great thing. 

nativewolf

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 07, 2019, 09:46:15 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on January 07, 2019, 09:27:51 PM
How far north are you ?
I swear the line of N/S here is the C/D canal but then you get south of I-10 In LA/TX and those from VA are Yankees too 🤣. My last deckhand thought Albany was the end of NY / civilization. I read alot so when someone puts up where their from I look, Wikipedia is a great thing.
I have to admit that I'm not normally that quick with a one liner but your question just made me smile....I was just imagining Santa reading that and thinking how do I respond.  
It's a great thread and I look forward to some more interesting pictures.  Another favorite is our poster from the Yukon that was on the reality TV show, the guy that moved from Mass to the Yukon to do dog sledding.  Lots of trapping, dragging firewood off the river by boat, some sawing videos, etc.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Stan Zuray is the guy, from one of the Alaska wilderness reality shows but actually had been trying to show people what life was like for years before the show.  Now he has really well done youtube videos that are a real pleasure to watch.  Anyway, sometimes he shows his firewood operation, sometimes a sawmill, mostly salmon and traplines.  All good stuff.

Day on the Trapline With the Dogs and Stan - Stan Zuray - YouTube

Liking Walnut

Quebecnewf

Lots of great on liners guys. Like BargeMonkey says if you need to know something look it up .

We are now in the process of making our trails through the woods. This is tough work . Walk in so far with your snowshoes. Turn around and walk back to chain saw. Clear path up to where you walked . Put down saw and walk a little further and repeat the process over again. Deep snow and hard walking . after you have you path cleared and walked down you drive the snowmobile through a few times then wait a day or two until the path hardens . Then your ready to start cutting. Not much fun but it is part of the job.

Quebecnewf

g_man

47sawdust

Qnewf,
Getting the trail or woods road packed down is slow going.My wife and I were out on snowshoes yesterday packing a trail to places I can't drive to.A little prep work makes hauling the saw,wedges,chokers and cable a little easier.Once I've pulled a hitch it gets a little easier.Right now the snow is pretty mealy and getting deep so hard going for the tractor.Some 30° weather and I can pack down an access that makes the going great.
Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Keep us posted,please.
I can go anywheres in the woods. Most years I have to keep a path beat down in the woods. There might be 6-8 inches of snow. But that can change in a week. Might have 3 feet next week. Some years I get out of work and just drive down in the woods and back. I drag the winch,3pt,a little and that helps alot. This keeps it open for me and when I have a day off the trail is easier to work on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

We make our  trails about 5 ft wide. Enough to drive snowmobile through. Some sections are a bit wider. Its pretty much one way only.

We would be better of if we cut our trails early winter really just after ground is frozen and before the big lots of snow. The problem is that we need the snow to get to the woods so its kind of a catch 22. Best time to cut trail before snow, not enough snow to get to the woods on snowmobile. So there you have it.

We should have the main trail done in a day or so then as we cut we gradually add branch trails to the main trail.

I have a section selected up through a steep brook where i plan to rig my ZIP line logging idea . This will be done a littl later once we get more established.

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Trails getting cut slowly . Made first trip through with snowmobile today and picked up a bit of dry wood for camp stove . Cut our first 15 logs for this season

Quebecnewf 

Southside

How much land do you have to work on up there?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Quebecnewf

We have quite a bit of land in one sense . There are many areas with very large ( east coast large) trees . The thing is that most of this is not within reach to log .

The land is very rugged. If it's not hills and cliffs then it's bog . No travel over it in summer at all. We log by snowmobile but this limits the distance  and locations you can log. Snowmobiles are not made for logging  there too slight by far and too expensive to operate .

The distance you can drag logs with them is very low if your not going in the hole due to the high cost of gas then your going in the hole because your wearing out a 20,000.00 machine in two years .

For me this " logging" is just a hobby/passion . I love it in the woods and have always loved it from the first time I went with my dad many years ago .

It's -20C here this morning as I'm typing this so you have to be a bit crazy to go in the woods . To add to the challenge the sea ice is covered with thick slush under the snow for the first two miles so you have to make sure your at high speed all the time or your going to get stuck . This should get better as the temp falls but we're supposed to get more snow do that will most likely make it worse again as the weight of the snow forces the ice down and more water comes on top.

You gotta love it 

Quebecnewf 

thecfarm

-20C would be about -5F to me. Where's that Dang cold smiley. :) 
Thank you for spending the time taking pictures.
My land is hard to get around on,but I don't have any cliffs!!!

Thank You Sponsors!