iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hearing aid question

Started by celliott, October 04, 2011, 04:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

My girlfriend recently completed her hunter's safety course, and is going to start hunting (partridge, deer, turkey, etc.).  One of the risks of hunting, which most of us probably don't often think about, is hearing damage.  I know i've had days bird hunting where i've shot my 12 gauge 5 or more times without hearing protection, and my ears will ring for a few days.  I wouldn't even think about target shooting without hearing protection, but hunting is different, you can't really wear earmuffs in the woods when you need to hear.  I've thought about a walker's game ear, just for the noise suppression feature.   

Anyways, to my question-  Meghan wears hearing aids, she has since she was young.  She is not sure about wearing them when a gun might be discharged, not sure if there is a decibel suppresion or cutoff on her hearing aids.  She doesn't really want to go without, she can't hear well and that leaves her ears totally unprotected.  Anyone with hearing aids have any input? Do hearing aids generally have a decibel cutoff to prevent hearing damage? 
The hearing aids are phonaks, and fairly new, if it makes a difference.

Thanks guys

Chris
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Chuck White

Some hearing aids do clip the noise at a certain decible and some don't.

The Dr. that prescribed the hearing aids would be able to tell.

I have some ear muffs that will clip the sound, they were only around $40.00 at Cabela's, I use them for target shooting and intend on taking them hunting with me this fall.

When I have them on, if I clap my hands, they will clip the sound, but normal voices will come through clearly and I can even turn them up so that if I had them on a deer stand, I could hear a deer or other critter walking in the leaves.

Some hearing aids will work the same way.

Walker's Game Ear is nothing but a hearing aid.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

celliott

She might try the earmuffs, we'll see.  They might muffle regular sound too much for her though.   She is going to contact her hearing doctor to find out.

Take care of your ears guys, you only get one pair.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

LeeB

The aids I wear do have a sound attenuation feature. They were quite expensive and have multiple settings. I wanted the attenuation because of my work, which caused the hearing loss to begin with. If she already has hearing loss, then she surely understands how horrible it would be to lose even more. Ear muffs are definately a msut if her aids do not have attenuation. This is good advice for all of you. Loss of hearing takes away our connection to each other and the world around us. Don't wait till it's too late.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

The ear muffs that I have will also amplify sound, not just eliminate it!

When I wear them I can hear distant conversation pretty good too.  :-X
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Hearing loss does not repair itself, for sure. Back in high school, and again in the Army, I fired thousands of rounds without ear plugs. Add in using saws, lawnmowers, power tools, nail guns, etc. and I show this degredation every year when I take my annual hearing test in the US Navy. I can really tell when I'm out hunting in the woods. Lots of sounds I don't hear and never will again.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

My Wife or one of the Grandkids will say, "I hear one coming".  I'll whisper, "point which way".  They are always right.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I think the thing I miss most is hearing the frogs in the Spring of the year.

That is, unless I'm right next to the pond.

celliott

Well, she ended up wearing earplugs without her hearing aids because she hasn't been able to get ahold of her ear doctor.  She didn't get any shots, I bagged one bird and she said her ears were fine when I shot.  She couldn't hear many birds flush, but i'd holler BIRD! when we flushed one, and she'd catch a glimpse, maybe.  So thick in partridge territory.
Better safe than sorry, but she might need to do something different for deer season.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!