iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunters

Started by Bobus2003, October 27, 2011, 10:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Of all you guys that are in the woods daily, any of ya carry a Gun or bow in the equipment? I'm into Archery and lately I haven't the time to dedicate to hunting, so I carry my Bow in the Delimber or Timbco (Havent found a good place to store in the skidder).

Looks like it belongs their:

Jeff

Not legal in our State. Compound would have to be in a case, recurve or long bow un-strung.

I don't know about other places, but around here, Deer have no fear of a skidder or loader or fork truck. You can drive right up to them. If you hang out the door though, they are gone.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

They have to be in a case in WI as well.
Here is a crude video I took while taking a buck yesterday. Put a camera on the bill of my hat and learned that when sighting on the target, the deer wasn't in the picture. The 10 pt buck comes in from the right at the very beginning of the take.  Need to perfect the art a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItNa9Q-o1M&feature=youtu.be
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bobus2003

Yeah, I sure don't know about shooting out of a piece of equipment, Seems alot like shooting from a Truck (not legal). I just have it with me so I can try to sneak up on something if i see it. Generally have it in the case behind the seat, Just thought it was crazy how it looked as if it was in its place next too the dash. Saw a super nice 5x5 buck few days back while running skidder, He couldn't of cared less that i was pulling the trees away that he was munching on. Saw a couple of nice Bull Elk tonight but no Buck :-\

thecfarm

Same way here too Jeff. I've heard of guys shooting deer right off the skidder.I can get within shooting range with my tractor. But I'm no hunter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Here in NY, it's illegal to carry a loaded firearm or a bow that's strung (unless cased) on/in a motor vehicle.

I've seen it happen and in the past have done it myself, when sighting in a rifle, leaning over the hood of the truck for a steady rest.

It's even illegal to lean a loaded gun against a motor vehicle.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

It also used to be and still probably is illegal to carry a hand gun while bow hunting in NYS.
I was bowhunting years ago with some friends down by Cortland. We met at the cars for lunch and was sitting around when a Game Cop pulled up. He got all excited when he saw we all had handguns. Said that he was going to arrest all 3 of us for having handguns while bow hunting. We argued our point that we were Cops and were required to be armed 24-7. He really didn't care. These were not hunting guns but 2" Smith Issue model 36 revolvers. Things got pretty heated verbally so he called in the State Police. Luckily my Sgt who was with us knew the Trooper. Unbeknown to us technically the Fish and game laws superseded Dept policy. Just one of dem things......
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Gary_C

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 28, 2011, 10:22:29 AM
It also used to be and still probably is illegal to carry a hand gun while bow hunting in NYS.

My brother who lives and bow hunts in Arizona said the state has changed their laws on that and now will allow you to carry a weapon while bow hunting. Said the reason is the illegal immigrant smugglers are heavily armed, the drug smugglers are heavily armed, and the thugs that are preying on the first two groups are also heavily armed. So the desert is no place for someone only armed with a bow. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WildDog

QuoteSeems alot like shooting from a Truck (not legal).

Thats interesting Bobus 2003, can you night shoot with a spotlight? we would be in a real mess if we couldn't shoot/harvest our  vertebrate pests by vehicle and spotlight. Its not what I call hunting but is a valuable tool in controling kangaroos, feral pigs, rabbits and foxs. We couldn't get a good enough cull with daylight shooting. Without a vehicle we would have to leave them lie and that would provide more food for pigs etc.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Chuck White

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 28, 2011, 10:22:29 AM
I was bowhunting years ago with some friends down by Cortland. We met at the cars for lunch and was sitting around when a Game Cop pulled up. He got all excited when he saw we all had handguns. Said that he was going to arrest all 3 of us for having handguns while bow hunting. We argued our point that we were Cops and were required to be armed 24-7. He really didn't care. These were not hunting guns but 2" Smith Issue model 36 revolvers. Things got pretty heated verbally so he called in the State Police. Luckily my Sgt who was with us knew the Trooper. Unbeknown to us technically the Fish and game laws superseded Dept policy. Just one of dem things......

Correct Bill, it's illegal to carry any kind of firearm while bow hunting.

It's also illegal to carry a breech loading firearm or a pistol or revolver while hunting with a muzzleloader unless the pistol is a singleshot black powder gun!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

celliott

This past spring I was carrying my revolver with me turkey hunting, just in case any coyotes came in, I don't really want to shoot one with my shotgun, but have had dogs come to me while calling with decoys out.  I carried it until someone informed me that it was illegal.  Not only bow hunting, if your weapon is restricted to a certain type, most likely it is illegal to carry a sidearm.  This is in VT.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Bobus2003

Quote from: WildDog on October 28, 2011, 04:22:46 PM
QuoteSeems alot like shooting from a Truck (not legal).

Thats interesting Bobus 2003, can you night shoot with a spotlight? we would be in a real mess if we couldn't shoot/harvest our  vertebrate pests by vehicle and spotlight. Its not what I call hunting but is a valuable tool in controling kangaroos, feral pigs, rabbits and foxs. We couldn't get a good enough cull with daylight shooting. Without a vehicle we would have to leave them lie and that would provide more food for pigs etc.

According to the SDGF&P Hunting regulations book:

"No one who is in or on a motor vehicle, except hunters with Disabled Hunter
Permits, may discharge a firearm or bow at any wild animal, except coyotes,
jackrabbits, rodents, skunks, badgers, raccoons and foxes."

Unsure if its legal to spotlight varmits, Big game is illegal

WH_Conley

Only if you get caught.
Bill

Bobus2003

Quote from: WH_Conley on October 29, 2011, 04:19:40 AM
Only if you get caught.

LOL, Used that motto a few times..too many

rbhunter

I belive it is legal in Missouri to carry a concealed weapon while bowhunting, I would have to double check on this though.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

woodzy88

My father told me when he was in the bush logging with an old D7 dozer he carried an old 303 rifle and use to shoot wild pigs from the seat . They would only run if the machine stopped.
woodzy88

Corley5

A guy I know incorporated a Chevy P.U. door into his new deer blind because he couldn't hit anything unless he was shooting out a vehicle window  :)  Really  ;D :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

zopi

Nothing to do with hunting, but I took to carrying a pistol when working out back a month or two ago...nearly stepped on the biggest copperhead I have seen in thirty years...and nothing to dispatch him with...had never seen a poisonous snake here before that...I do encourage the blacksnakes to stay though...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sawguy21

Don't get caught with a spotlight here or shooting from a vehicle. That includes atv's. We can't carry handguns period.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

treefarmer87

you can carry long guns unloaded here, also, if you are over 21 and the gun is visable you can have a handgun. muzzleloader can be loaded but uncapped.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

WH_Conley

Wouldn't you be just as well off to carry a hammer?
Bill

beenthere

Quote from: WH_Conley on October 30, 2011, 11:36:43 PM
Wouldn't you be just as well off to carry a hammer?

For what?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

Same reason as an empty gun.
Bill

rbhunter

I looked up the regulations on conceal carry during archrey season and here is what it says. "Use archery methods only;
firearms may not be possessed with the following
exceptions (Firearms possessed under
these exceptions may not be used to take
wildlife while archery hunting. Proof of this
exception must be carried while hunting.):
(A) Any person who has been issued a
concealed carry endorsement on a driver
license or non-driver license and such
endorsement or license has not been suspended,
revoked, canceled, or denied may
carry concealed firearms on or about his/her
person while hunting;"
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

beenthere

rbhunter
What state is that for?

Missouri?
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!