iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone confirm this tree/lumber? Possibly Sweet Gum?

Started by Pepe_Silvia, April 09, 2019, 10:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

I know most of the trees that grow around here, but I couldn't ID this one.  I've not come across any Sweet Gum, and based on pictures I think that's what this may be.  Can any nudge me closer to a positive ID?  It cut like butter.

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

Southside

Did it walk off the mill by itself too?  Tell tale sign of gum. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Gents, he said it cut like butter, the little sweetgum I have cut, did not cut like butter.   But, I was wrong once before! 8)

Texas Ranger

and research says it is just above sycamore.  Butter?

Southside

Sweet gum around here cuts very easy, trying to get it to stay flat - well that is a different matter. The heart looks like gum for sure. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

Pepe_Silvia

Thanks for all the responses.  I'll label it as sweet gum for now.  Sounds like if it dries straight then I'll need to reconsider  :D
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

WDH

No need to reconsider.  It is definitely sweetgum, not ash :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

timberking

Magicman

Absolutely no doubt about it being Sweetgum.

Within the past 3 months I have become the "Sweetgum Sawing Somethinganother", with well over 200 Sweetgum logs seen in the whacks above.  I have seen the expression "saws like butter" but I can't vouch for it because I have never sawn butter....yet.  I will say that you never know when the blade hits the log end.  You can get one pith centered beam/timber from each log and they will remain straight.

Sweetgum 1X12 will make board/batten siding, but do not allow any roof runoff water spatter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

What is the world coming to? @Magicman  now saws with turbos AND extols the virtues of sweet gum!!!   ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Oh I still hates Sweetgum trees, but I have never seen a log in front of my sawmill that I did not love.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!