iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

filling skidder tires with helium

Started by mark686, May 08, 2013, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark686

I have some wet ground to log on and it will be a couple months before it dries out enough to work on but then I will still run into wet spots. heard from another logger that he uses helium in his skidder tires to help in wet areas woundering if anyone else has tried this. ???

grassfed

:o I think that you'd be better off giving some nitrous oxide :D to the landowner when he sees the ruts.

Mike

sprucebunny

Why not go with hydrogen  :D

Here is a link that will help you calculate the 'lift' generated by replacing air with hydrogen or helium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifting_gas

You will need to guess at how many cubic meters of air the tires hold.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

mark686

think the guy that told me this is smoking some realy good stuff :D and he needs to share ;D

mesquite buckeye

No lift when compressed.....

Otherwise, all the helium and hydrogen tanks would float away. air_plane air_plane air_plane dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie!

smiley_biggrin01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

DR Buck

Having worked in the airship (Blimp) business for Goodyear I can say you will be wasting your money putting helium in tires on a skidder.  Considering the weight of a skidder, you would need the volume of the Goodyear blimp to provide any lift.   The what kind of traction do you think you would get if your wheels were lifted any amount?   no_no

I believe you "other logger" was smoking something and it wasn't helium.    smiley_whacko

And if you are considering hydrogen, think "HINDENBURG"

Here's a link to the "building" my office was in.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Airdock
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

KBforester

Helium is in short supply in the US at the moment anyhow.  ;D
Trees are good.

Maine372

get Louis down there with the tower yarder.

g_man

Just use State House or Senate hot air from DC. It works just as good and is cheaper because of the abundant supply.

DR Buck

Quote from: Maine372 on May 08, 2013, 07:47:49 PM

It's in short supply in the world.   Recovery and processing is also VERY expensive.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

thenorthman

make sure to check yer fail lead fluid first. other wise the helium could leak.
well that didn't work

Ed_K

I have some wet areas to do and seriously thinking of building a short line yarder.
Ed K

hillbillyhogs

Quote from: DR_Buck on May 08, 2013, 08:29:25 PM
Quote from: Maine372 on May 08, 2013, 07:47:49 PM

It's in short supply in the world.   Recovery and processing is also VERY expensive.

The US gov has PLENTY OF IT!! They've been backing the helium industry for who knows how long now...

saxon0364

Quote from: Ed_K on May 09, 2013, 06:04:01 PM
I have some wet areas to do and seriously thinking of building a short line yarder.

I'd be interested to see that if you did.   I walked a piece of timber with a forester recently to get some ideas how to tackle it.    Long slope down to a creek, the timber has to get over the creek. The hill side has several small streams cutting the hill into 3 or 4 sections.   Springs and wet ground anywhere it gets flat enough to hold water. Large rocks and gullies every where.   Would be a nightmare for a skidder and to long a skid for horses.   To steep in places as well.     A small yarder was about the only idea we had short of taking the logs up and over the hill  up paying several other land owners for access.  Ive never seen a yarder in Pa.   I'm sure its been done but I've not seen it.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

mark686

I think I found a solution to the problem but yet to try it. found a dh5 trencher that has all the tools taken off of it the whieght is about 4800 and the tires are wide for flotation hpefully have more info next week on how this works. ??? any thaughts

thenorthman

Built my gyppo yarder out of 2 tulsa duece and a half pto winches, hook it to 20-40 horse engine and it works pretty ok, need to build in some kind of brake for letting the line out so you can stop it where and when you want,(the old tulsa's where worm gear driven so no slippy when engaged). 

I have 1/2 line on it now 200' on one side and about 150' on the other, I could probably get 250-300' on the big side, the other is half that size so I use it for the main line and the big side for haulback.  Guy could get away with smaller cable and get more line on there... but less life out of the cable and less capacity...

Down side is there is no straw line so road changes are Manwell... and it currently only has a 10 horse motor with no real tranny so its a bit slow... there is a transfer case with reverse, and nuetral.

With rigging and fabrication I'm into it around $600.  including guy lines, and snatch blocks, results may vary.

Or a guy could just look into buying a Koller or a Christy and be done with it, without climbing trees and dragging guylines 50' up a with you
well that didn't work

loggah

The old Bombardier muskeag tracked skidders were about the best machines of the day to work on wet or swampy ground, every now and then one shows up on a logging job. The Helium story sounds like B.S. to me, kinda like left hand monkey wrench!!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bill m

What! They don't make left handed monkey wrenches? And I suppose they don't make metric crescent wrenches either.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thenorthman

What about them FMC tracked skidders? or is that the same thing, haven't seen one working in a long time, but they did have one big foot print.

Metric Crescent wrench's jeez, every one knows they only make em in SAE...
well that didn't work

mark686

what about a board stretcher anybody got one? :D

SPIKER

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

loggah

I dont know about a board stretcher, but  i do know some scalers  have a log shrinker !!! :o :o Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

sandhills

I'm just worried about the crescent wrenches only coming in SAE, how will I ever change the muffler bearings on my chevy?

thenorthman

Quote from: sandhills on May 11, 2013, 08:37:56 PM
I'm just worried about the crescent wrenches only coming in SAE, how will I ever change the muffler bearings on my chevy?

Use a FORD wrench ;D they do metric and SAE,  careful with that muffler bearing if you don't get it set just right... could fail and then catch on fire...
well that didn't work

Northern Timber Harvesting

anybody ever see  balloon logging, maybe you should look into that.

Okrafarmer

Your helium skidder would go over like a lead balloon. Nice thought, no results, and lotsa money lost trying, amigo.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

smwwoody

I do have a metric cresent wrench.  If i remember right it is marked 300mm.  it came in a tool kit from an old toyota FJ40.  it hung on my garage wall just to show people
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

as for muffler bearings they do exist too.  some of the early 70's dump trucks with heated bodies for hauling asphalt.  the body was heated by the exhaust and at the joint where the body hinged was a part called a muffler bearing.  i had the page from an old walker catalog with the listing for the muffler bearing hanging on the wall next to my 300mm cresent wrench
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Cedar Savage

I usta sell all my crooked logs to a sawmill that had a log straightener.....
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Forrest277

Quote from: mark686 on May 08, 2013, 03:42:47 PM
... heard from another logger that he uses helium in his skidder tires to help in wet areas...
wondering if anyone else has tried this. ???

... I find grass clippings work much better.

lol :°)

GF
===
Love my Husky ...

Okrafarmer

The best way to get across wet areas is to wait for them to freeze deep and drive over the ice. Otherwise, if you can't wait that long (or you live in Florida) cut a lot of conifer boughs and throw them in the mud and you can drive over them. The heavier your machine, the more boughs you need.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

When I have to get across a wet hole,I use rocks. But this is on my own land and I will use that trail often.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on June 09, 2013, 08:22:21 AM
When I have to get across a wet hole,I use rocks. But this is on my own land and I will use that trail often.

Yes, that works well too.

coxy

have seen old tires cut and put together to make a mat

Thank You Sponsors!