iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing ethanol from gas

Started by plantman, November 06, 2017, 09:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyG

After reading this I'll start with High-Test since it's octane is initially higher. If I'm understanding everyone correctly removing the ethanol will also lower the octane...

Thanks for the science class!

John Mc

Quote from: BobbyG on December 30, 2017, 09:16:27 AM
After reading this I'll start with High-Test since it's octane is initially higher. If I'm understanding everyone correctly removing the ethanol will also lower the octane...

Thanks for the science class!

Personally, I would not bother removing the ethanol. I run non-ethanol in all my saws, but it was only available in the summers for a couple of years in my area (the boating crowd drove that availability, I'm sure). During that time, I just ran E10 gas, and made sure to use fresh gas and always run the tank dry unless I would be using it in the next couple of days. To me, the risks of running ethanol can be managed if you pay attention. The risk of running fuel that is too low in octane (from removing ethanol) is not something you can do much about.

Have you tried looking at www.pure-gas.org to see if there are ethanol-free stations in your area? If not, and you are really worried about it, you could always use the canned pre-mix fuel that most chainsaw dealers and some hardware/big box stores sell. It's expensive, but great shelf life. If you are not using your saw a lot, the pre-mixed stuff may be worth considering.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!