iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Ash for a outside ramp at a church?

Started by Black_Creek, April 14, 2003, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Creek

Hi I just sawed an Ash tree to make an outside wheel chair ramp at our church. If I seal the boards will they last good outside and what would be best to seal them with? Thanks

ARKANSAWYER

Black Creek,
  Ash is loved by bugs and does not weather real well.  It would not be my first or second choice for this job.  I would put several coats of a oil based paint and some anti skid pads on it.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Black_Creek

Arkansawer  I live in Maine. What would you recommend as a good choice for this ramp? Pine, Hemlock. any suggestions?

I need to get this done for Sunday. I can use this for now and saw something else out latter. Thanks for replying.  Black Creek.

Jason_WI

We have white ash wagon racks that are 6 years old and are as solid as they were when new. Ash is listed as slightly rot resistant.

I would not use the ash in contact with the ground though. There I would use E. white cedar or pressure treated lumber. The ash could be used for the top planks for the ramp and should last a long time if treated with with an outdoor stain.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Mark M

Cottonwood  8)

Tell me how much you need and I'll send it over. All I ask in return is walnut or cherry logs of equal size and number ;)

CHARLIE

Ash is ring porous (much like red oak) and does not weather well if exposed to moist conditions. Powderpost beetles like it too. But they won't mess with finished wood.  A wood that is porous has holes like little straws running up through it. You can see them if you look at smooth sawn end grain. These little "straws" suck water into the board.

If you do use the ash, I reckon I would recommend soaking it good on all sides with a good quality deck waterproofer. Of course this will have to be repeated at least once a year.

A good outdoor wood is white oak if you want to use a hardwood..  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Black_Creek

;) ;D 8)

Thanks to all who replyed. I might use this for now and wait until I come across some Cedar and build one with it. Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks again.

Tony Ceder
                           Black Creek Farm

ARKANSAWYER

Black locust, ERC, heart pine, walnut, white oak would all be good choices.  Pine with a good sealer would be better then ash.  But if it is all you have then go for it.  It will look nice with a good stain but just know that in a year of so it will have to be redone.  Post photos.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

I would suggest that you consider using a product called, Everwood.  I use it on a great many things out here in Oregon.  It is the best I have found for preserving any type of wood that is exposed to the elements.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!