iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I made the Jump!

Started by texican, January 28, 2011, 11:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texican

I've been lurking here for almost two months....

I had a neighbor, that's in his late 70's, that operated a WM LT-40 with full hydraulics for over a decade.  I could get all my logs sawn by him at very low rates (for years, just 20c/ft, late 2009 25c/ft) and get logs done on halfs.  Had a good working arrangement... found some good deals and we'd split the costs.  Got 4k feet of cypress in the barn on one deal, no cost, just diesel and labor.

Well, like all good things, he retired, after a cylinder failed on his backhoe, a log shifted the wrong way and buggered his shoulder up.  At the time, I didn't have the cash to buy him out.  So he sold out, and I had to go cold turkey on lumber cutting for over a year.

My work as an oil/gas landman slowed down with nat. gas prices crashing, and I decided I really needed my own mill.  Was still in the 'wishing' part of it all, when back in Sept. I noticed a lot of my large SYP started dying because of the drought.  Found another guy with a bandsaw mill, but it was close to an hour away, one way, and he was getting 35c/ft.  Hmmmmm.  A fella over on Homesteading Today told me about this site, and I started getting knowledged up.

I'm 'allergic' to debt, otherwise I'd went straight for a minimum of fully hydraulic bandsaw (the LT-35).  Ended up deciding on a WM LT-15.  Worked out my finances, so I could use cash.  And then hesitated and hesitated.  Luckily, I hesitated long enough... Woodmizer had a special, whereby diesel upgrades were half price.  I knew I was getting a diesel engine anyhow, as I have a diesel truck and tractor, and there's a diesel tank on the property.  But when I could get the 18hp diesel for about what the smaller diesel engine was going to originally cost, I made the jump, and put the order in.

Sat wrapped up for a week, before I had time off from my work, to put her together.  The manual could be a little more explicit... had to 'figger' a lot of it out.  The hard way.  Didn't get through a couple of logs before figgering out what wasn't working... took a while to figger out how to fix them problems.  Actually started dialing the WM guys for help, but I knew my father would'a worked on the problem more, before crying 'uncle'.  Reread the manual, and found some 'a'has'.

One reason I went manual was the lower price, and to see whether my 53 old bad knee could handle it.  Turns out the knees could, but the back balked at all the bending over to offload wood.  So, with not 5 hours on it, I lifted it up on crossties, to be at a more comfortable height.

I do have one mini question.......  It was at the end of the day, I'd offloaded a 16' 6"x6" beam, and moved the log dogs all the way 'out' before returning the sawhead back to the starting point.  Of course I hit the log dog handle.  Wasn't that big of a collision, as I was pushing back slowly.  Pushed both logdogs back in, so they'd clear.  Next cut, noticed cutting forward, the sawhead had a little wobble in it.  Looked at the "off side" log loading side of the frame, and all I could see was a little ding on the sawdust 'brush'.  Straightened that back up.  Cut smooth, but every now and then has that shake.

Would that shake/wobble be something related to the ding? or maybe just the log that was mostly dry, and hitting knots?  Had the water flowing...

This mill is a huge investment and I just don't want to hurt her.

I'm building a house, and know I'm going to need at least 7 or 8k more of 1x12 material, and lots of large beams.

Kicker of the whole deal is... bought the mill cause my neighbor 'retired'.  Week after the mill arrived, and I'd started assembling it, he 'unretired'... seemed his shoulder got better, and he got his second wind, and another mill, that he'd sold years before to another fella.  Believe he's turning 80 sometimes this year... know when his shoulder wasn't bothering him, he could work me into the ground!!!

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum....

I got to get back to bed... my foot's a bothering me. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Texican  ;) ;D 8) The lt15 will be a good milll for you and I do not see it taking to long to get a return on the investment with your hose project and other things you have planed to do with it Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)  I am like yourself about dept but it is needed sometimes for the rite reasons Mate   ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

weisyboy

congrats, you should be happy with it, i have no personal experiance with them bandsaws but from what iv read there a good little mill.

im sure you can upgrade the mill with extras to make life easier as you can afford to.

iv always worked on the pricipal if you cant afford it dotn buy it.

it has been good, over the last 5 years i have managed to acumulate a good deal of equipment, and if work dies off i dont have the bank hammering me for money.

as soon as i owe someone some money i dont sleep.

i must say this way of working have left me a bit tight at times but wev never gone without to feed the giant.

i know plenty of people that owe that much money that they will be flat out ever paying it back.

my uncle on just paid his mortgage off cos he kept borrowing on it, hes 82.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome Texican, and congratulations on the new mill.  Don't know the LT-15 but if you say there's new wobble,  then find it,  I expect everything on it will be adjustable.  Be careful & enjoy building your house. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

weisyboy

why not give mizer a ring, im sure your not the first to get the mystery wobble. and if you are when you find it let them know so they can help others
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

glenn molenaar

Texican,
Good to see you on here, looking for some more of your interesting posts. Welcome to another Great site.
Glenn

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, texican.  Chances are your vibration may just be a particular log or the blade, but it never hurts to go back through your alignment procedure.  During normal sawing there is wear that you don't have yet, but being very familiar with, understanding, and making all alignments is mandatory.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday again  ;) with the semi cantilever heads (my first  bandmill was a little jonsered setup similar to the lt10) if you knocked them about or had  the head hold down system fail when your doing 50 mph down the road whilst watching the head unit sailing of into the scrub in the mirrors  :o :o :o >:( >:( #$@! if your out rigger guides get alittle out of parralel to the track the wheels  can bind causing  the carriage to get a jerky feed going i would check that first as they are only a lite setup to carry the weight of the head and are pretty simple to get back and running true again Mate  ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Texican!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

Hey, Texican, welcome to the board.  Being a Texan I am curious to where you call home, fill in some of your profile so we can get a look at cha.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

KyTreeFarmer

Welcome to the Forum Texican. I have that same little wobble sometimes. I keep a whisk broom handy to sweep of the rails and around those wipers. Also try to keep the rails wiped down with transmission fluid. Seems to cure it for me. I love my LT15, am sure you will enjoy yours.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Tex.....I've been on here a little over a week. Check this site everyday. You'll be surprised what you can learn. I was and learn something new everyday!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

Welcome Texican from just downstream a lil bit
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

AndyC

Welcome and Congratulations on the mill ..... it has to feel great  8)  - I am just coming out of the wishing and hesitation parts you mentioned so I can undertand and can't wait to pull the trigger (within 2 months).  Good luck and have fun. 

fred in montana

I have an LT 15 and hve wacked the handle a few times while rolling. It never seemed to have hurt anything.

Since I don't have hydraulics, I am doing everything I can to minimize the wear and tear on the body.

I mostly cut log cabin timbers.

Mill up at a comfortable height.
Log deck level with the bed gets loaded with tractor front end loader.
Slab pile positioned to allow me to slide the slabs down the cant and pivot toward the stack then continue sliding. Avoid carrying them.
I am adding winch powered clamp, turner, leveler, and back stops.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Warren

Texican,

Welcome to the forum.  I started out with an LT15 with a 10 hp Yanmar diesel and it cut everything I asked it to. Without a problem.  The 18hp diesel oughta be the real deal on an LT15.

Regarding the wiggle/wobble/vibration...  One quick and easy check on a Woodmizer (or any other band mill) is to swap out the blade with a new one.  If the problem goes away, you know it was the blade.  If not, you are only out 5 minutes time to swap the blade.

Good luck on tracking it down...

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

taw6243

Check for junk in the v belt groove
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

Slingshot

texican, I doubt that your bump would have harmed the mill even a little. I owned an Lt15 and
know they are a tough mill.
   Anytime we bump something, drop something or ding something we always expect damage
and will notice every little move looking for it and notice things we never noticed before even
though they were always there. Your little wobble is probably, like you said, just the dry wood
and knots.  Keep on cuttin' that wood!   smiley_chop

Thank You Sponsors!