iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Master Sawmills

Started by Tree Feller, March 08, 2012, 10:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

Does anyone here have one or know anything about the Logmaster Mills that are mfg in Nacogdoches, TX?

I had pretty much decided on getting a Norwood ML-26 when a Logmaster LM-1 got put on the E.T. craigslist Monday. The mill is 2 years old, 13 hp recoil start (all manual) 30" throat x 12' but comes with some extras like bands, ramps, log tongs, cant hook and even a canvas canopy and frame for a sawshed.

It's listed at $3500 which is about $1400 under retail+tax for just the saw.

I'm going to look at it this morning (about 40 miles away) and would surely appreciate some opinions from the bunch here...on perceived value even if you have no experience with that particular mill.

Back in a couple or three hours.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Tree Feller

Never mind. I bought it.    8) 8) 8)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

dukndog

Congrats on the new mill!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Riggs

cool....time to post some pics.  :)
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

Forestry Forum rule:   If you do not post a picture, it didn't happen.  And Congratulations.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

I haven't brought the mill home yet...I'll do that saturday...but here's the Craigslist pics (if I can do this right)

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/26792/Mill.jpg[/img] 

[/img]
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Tree Feller on March 08, 2012, 02:17:12 PM
Never mind. I bought it.    8) 8) 8)

Thats what I would have done too ;) Congrats on your new to you mill Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the "new" mill.  There's a used LM 2 on sawmill-exchange that I would consider buying if I thought my truck would pull it.  Those Log Master mills are built HEAVY.  Lots of features for a good price.  Keep us posted on your experience with the new baby.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tcsmpsi

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Silver_Eagle

Congratulation's Tree Feller!! Way to go.

Sixacresand

Hope you enjoy your new mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Tree Feller

Thanks for all the congrats. As you might expect, I'm really excited about finally getting a mill. I hope it's as fun and rewarding as I think it will be.

tscampi, that's the same mill except that you have the trailer package. What engine did you opt for and have you been satisfied with your mill? (I like that saw shed and log-loading ramp)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

shortlogger

I have a LM1 with the 30 hp kohler had it for 9 months or so no problems cuts good lumber . Fixn to extend it to cut 18' and add manual toe boards and log stops that stay up while turning the log .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

WDH

Tcsmpsi has a sweet set-up.

Way to go!  You did good  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodey

The sight of seeing lumber coming out of a log is rewarding, so enjoy your Log Master Sawmill.   smiley_bounce
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

tcsmpsi

Tree feller, if you will notice, the frame itself is a bit different.  I had that one built, personal.  Took a few months, but I am quite pleased with it.  Got there early on 'finishing day' to pick it up...June or July of 'o6, I think.  At that time, they weren't really offering options on the engine.  We talked of a couple things, but nothing really fit the whole picture better than the 13 hp Kohler it was designed for.  Only problem I have had with the engine (in any manner), is having to replace the starter rope several times.  Which is easy on that engine. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

thecfarm

Tree Feller,it's more fun and rewarding than you know. What will you be sawing and what's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Tree Feller, your expectation will be met and exceeded.  I was 58 years old when I bought mine, and it has provided 10 years of joy and satisfaction.  What a ride, and I didn't even need a ticket.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

Quote from: thecfarm on March 09, 2012, 08:27:02 AM
Tree Feller,it's more fun and rewarding than you know. What will you be sawing and what's the plan for the lumber?

Well, I'm a woodworker so hardwood is primarily what I will be sawing. I have four acres of mostly Oaks with some Hickory and a few Pines. I've been cutting beetle-killed Pines here lately and having them milled into construction lumber. I also have a good friend that gives me all the standing dead trees off of several-hundred-acre place that I want. Once the word got out, wood just sorta seems to find me.   ;)

I built a solar kiln about this time last year to dry my lumber but that was when I was occassionally hauling a few logs to a sawyer. I may need to build a second kiln now. 

I'm also sure that my supply of wood will soon outgrow my ability to use it and when that time comes, I'll have to either idle the mill or start selling some. We'll see.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

ladylake

i used to be a woodworker untill I bought a sawmill, I worked in the woodshop maybe 10 hours last year.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

zopi

never let it be said that you cannot make a descision.

congrats!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tree Feller

Got the mill home and set up today. I even cut a 4 x 6 cant from a small, dead Cedar I had to remove to make room for placing the mill.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Ga Mtn Man

There's nothing like the day you bring a new "baby" home.  First impressions?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Silver_Eagle

Tree feller that is awesome, congrat's on your new toy. Way to go!

I would venture to say that picture will have a special place soon.

customsawyer

Great story. Congrats on the mill. How much fun was it cutting that first log?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

It looks brand new!
Congratulations. :)

Tree Feller

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on March 10, 2012, 05:49:49 PM
There's nothing like the day you bring a new "baby" home.  First impressions?

To be honest, the first impression was "I can see why hydraulic mills are so popular."   :D  The LM-1 performed as advertised and I'm pretty sure I will be satisfied with it. I'm also pretty sure that hand loading, clamping and turning could get to feeling a lot like work after a whole day of it.   ;D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Tree Feller

Quote from: customsawyer on March 10, 2012, 06:54:28 PM
Great story. Congrats on the mill. How much fun was it cutting that first log?

It was definitely fun but that little bit of sawing only whetted my appetite for more! I'll have to be disciplined to not neglect my woodworking shop and only want to saw.

Thanks to everyone else for your comments and congratulations. You guys are really encouraging here.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Magicman

Well, look at you with a smile and a "new" sawmill.  Congratulations !!!

And just as information, that new will never wear off.   smiley_thumbsup

peanuts roost

is it difficult to change blades on lm1 ? since they are built a little different , I wondered if it was difficult. They seem to be a very sturdy machine. thanks

Tree Feller

Quote from: peanuts roost on March 10, 2012, 11:00:25 PM
    is it difficult to change blades on lm1 ? since they are built a little different , I wondered if it was difficult. They seem to be a very sturdy machine. thanks

I don't have any experience with other mills but on the Logmaster, you remove the two wheel covers on each side, back off the tension bolt and bump in the wheel on the operator's side. Change the blade and tension the new one by applying the correct torque to the jam bolt (the seller even included a torque wrench and socket) and replace the covers.

It seems easy enough to me.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

shortlogger

The Lm 1 isn't that difficult to change blades on but it is more time consuming than a hinge open model
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

peanuts roost

thank you both for the info.

tcsmpsi

If you're a woodworker, and mill your own pine, you'll wonder where they get that...stuff they sell at the yards and stores.   There is some beautiful pine available in some of those trees.
This is one of my uses of the lowest grade utility pine I have from the mill.

The blade changing on the LM1 becomes easier/faster with practice.  Always keep grease on the bolts that hold them and the center piece on.  If yours has the steel lube/water tank, always keep it full and it will rust much less.  Be sure and keep the tension bolt well greased.  Depending on the blades you run, will depend on what torque to use.  On the mill, watch for blade flutter on the top.  Getting the mill up to working height helps considerably with the manual work. 
I do, very much, like the cage covers on the LM1.  Has a lot of space, no clogging, stray knots, etc have more area to get away from belts, bands, etc., they run cooler, and you have continual 'at a glance' view of what's happening in/around the band/wheels/belt.  I have also never had any broken blades or other debris slung outside their protection.

kwilsond

Anyone know where can I buy similar blades/parts for logmaster lm6 since The Logmaster company filed repo??
Westphal from NW Montana
LogMaster LM5 85hp Diesel
Garrett 20 Skidder
Ford Holland 1920 tractor
John Deere 350 crawler

thecfarm

kwilsond,welcome to the forum. I know WM has blades to fit.I went to the WM 25th Anniversary and got a free blade and when I asked what I needed for a blade I drew a blank. Told them I have a Thomas sawmill and the guy said,yep,I know what you need. Came in the mail and it fit. Don't know about other parts. But I needed a blade guide,did a search and found quite a few that had the same style.
Use your mill alot?

kczbest

Welcome to the forum, kwilsond! You can also get them from Cook's Saw. There just happens to be a handy link to their website on the left side of your screen! 8)
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Thank You Sponsors!