iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This will be a fun job…….Nail Heaven…..in Church.( new pics )

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 13, 2014, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 17, 2014, 09:06:05 PM
So you must be done, how did it come out?

No, I'm not done AT ALL. I sawed the first load, they picked it up this morning at about 11am.....said they'd be right back with another load.
They didn't get back until 2;15pm with the next load.....by then, I had started sawing an 11 log White Oak job. I told them I would not be sawing more flooring until tomorrow afternoon.......they weren't real happy....but HEY....I'm not gonna just sit around and wait.....I'm pretty backed up right now.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2014, 08:37:39 AM
The sanctuary is set up like a shop. Planers, T&G machine......it all can be done in church.
Sounds Heavenly! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

I thought they brought all of the over in one load, sorry. It is hard when you're waiting for a customer. But your like me and don't wait  :D :D we go to the next customer giddy up  :D :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats the way it goes Peter. Customers will bring logs over and ask me when I can have them done. I ask them when can they pick up the lumber?
They tell me they can pick it up Saturday morning.....so I have it ready.
Then they don't show up and I ask....?????.......they say, Oh I forgot, my son had a ball game, can I pick it up Tuesday?
It never quits.  smiley_smash

Peter Drouin

I know I have a customer coming tomorrow he was to be here 3 weeks ago. :D :D so I guess If you want to work for your self you have to take the good .Bad and stupid  :D :D and do the best you can  :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 17, 2014, 09:59:43 PM
I know I have a customer coming tomorrow he was to be here 3 weeks ago. :D :D so I guess If you want to work for your self you have to take the good .Bad and stupid  :D :D and do the best you can  :D :D ;)

We may have the same customer and don't even know it!  :D :D :D :D :D

Darrel

Ssssshhh! You are scaring me! Maybe I don't want to get into this business! :o
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Holmes

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 17, 2014, 09:21:50 PM
[quote author=Peter Drouin link=topic=71976.msg1087153#msg1087153 date=1390010

No, I'm not done AT ALL. I sawed the first load, they picked it up this morning at about 11am.....said they'd be right back with another load.
They didn't get back until 2;15pm with the next load.....by then, I had started sawing an 11 log White Oak job. I told them I would not be sawing more flooring until tomorrow afternoon.......they weren't real happy....but HEY....I'm not gonna just sit around and wait.....I'm pretty backed up right now.  :)

Maybe you could mention to them " If your coming to pick up the boards bring a load of beams with you".  Believe it or not there are some people that can not multi task think.  ;D
Think like a farmer.

chopperdr47

Quote from: warren46 on January 14, 2014, 12:19:12 PM

On the hunt for nails.  I spent more time looking for metal than sawing.

Warren46, I noticed your metal detector. I was about to order 1 and found mediocre reviews at best. How is it working out for you?
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Talking about nails......when sawing these beams, I was really surprised at the nails I saw in plain view the "nail pullers" missed. But I was equally surprised at the ones they found embedded and pulled out.
Metal detector or not, your gonna hit nails regardless.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 18, 2014, 10:23:19 AM
Talking about nails......when sawing these beams, I was really surprised at the nails I saw in plain view the "nail pullers" missed. But I was equally surprised at the ones they found embedded and pulled out.
Metal detector or not, your gonna hit nails regardless.

Maybe there blind nail pullers  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

warren46

Quote from: chopperdr47 on January 18, 2014, 09:30:05 AM
Quote from: warren46 on January 14, 2014, 12:19:12 PM

On the hunt for nails.  I spent more time looking for metal than sawing.

Warren46, I noticed your metal detector. I was about to order 1 and found mediocre reviews at best. How is it working out for you?

The metal detector is one that the Charlotte Woodworkers Association has for members to rent at nominal charge.  The adjustment is a little finicky but I found a very high percentage of the nails in the beams.  I removed a couple of hundred and only found four when sawing.

You need to be at least ten feet away from large metal objects (sawmill or loader) so it does not work very well once the log is on the mill.  I suspect this is the case for most metal detectors.

Since all of the metal in the beams were nails that were near the surface I do not know how well it will find metal buried in the wood.

All in all I found its performance acceptable and will consider buying one for myself.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

thecfarm

Or have 2 trailers. Bring one with you loaded,take one back loaded.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not sawing this week....tooooo COLD. In fact, the crew at the church has not been working.
The WIND is cutting!

scleigh

Poston,
Did you finish this job? Just curious how it turned out, with the nails and all.

Hate our schedules conflicted Sunday, we were on the way to a bday party in Rock Hill and drove by your place.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yes I did finish it.
And you know, to be honest, It was really not a hard job....not at all......but I hated it.
For some reason, I had rather saw logs than beams.  :)

It was just aggravating. What surprised me was out of 6 trailer load of beams and 3 inch boards....I only ruined 3 blades. Those guys really did a heck of a job finding nails.  smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb

The most surprising part was when I called them to pick up the last load......he said "how much do I make the check for?"

A driver showed up ....hooked up.....and paid up.  8)
I was then invited to drop in and watch the work progress on this old church.

I did learn that back in the 1800's, the roof structure was built to hold Cedar Shakes, At some point, someone decided to take the Cedar roof off and install Slate roofing.  :o :o :o

Well I think we all know now why the roof trusses have to be replaced......the whole roof is sagging. During the tear off.....they found and old Prince Albert Tobacco can in the attic with tobacco still in it. I didn't see the can but he showed me a pic.....it was mint condition.

So hopefully I will go to the church pretty soon and take a few pics for this post.....should look nice.

drobertson

An amazing job,  not soon forgotten, it had to be very rewarding,  nice work,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

redbeard

David did you have any problems with the knots (being hard with the age) I find that when I skin one side of beam to get a flat side if the blade doesn't have much material on top of blade it will want to ride over the knot creating a wave.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redbeard on February 05, 2014, 11:20:38 AM
David did you have any problems with the knots (being hard with the age)

I guess the answer is yes and no.
We talked about the 50 dollar per hour before these oldies were delivered. He was aware that I would be sawing slower due to the hard Pine knots. I really had to make myself slow down to keep from having wavy boards.
I would shave the top of the beam first, flip it and shave the bottom side so it would set on the bed flush. Then I could look for over sized knots .....if I didn't see any, I could saw a little faster......if I could see knots, that would determine my speed. I would try to change blades as often as needed. I didn't use the de-barker......but you would be surprised at the grit that was still embedded in these old beams.

But keep in mind I had to consider the nail factor. Some of the nails were steel cut nail. I went slow for this reason also. Going to fast and hitting a steel nail could cause a blade to dip tremendously and ruin the next board. If I go slow enough, I could stop the head movement when I heard the blade hit the nail. These beams were 8 inches wide on the side I was milling. If I'd hit a nail...STOP......and back out. I could then take my Sawzall and use a long metal cutting blade on it and finish sawing the nail / nails into. Change sawmill blade, go back into the cut and finish the board. Remove that board and pull the nails out.

So you can see why this was a little aggravating.......kinda had to be on your toes and not thinking about golf.  ;D

These guys buy spiral planer blades by the case when they do floor restoration. Yep, $$$$$$$. But from what I here, they do good work.

redbeard

Good idea using sawzall! I had a few problems with knots on the doug fir beams mostly when I was skimming the twist off the first cut.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This old church never ceases to amaze me. I love historical buildings like this.
I stopped buy to pick up a check today and really was impressed with the progress.

Here's pics of the outside.

You can see in these pics some of the old walls and how they were constructed.

I went down in the basement.....spooky....where the foundation began in 1864. The dark hole is where a large pipe was to get heat into the church from a wood burning boiler. Notice some critter has a nest in the hole now.

Some of the old beam floor joist....the hearts were solid but not much left.

Here's the interior of the Sanctuary where all the planing and T&G goes on.

It was good to see some of my re-saw work after being planed.

Once the floor is complete....it will be covered for protection and the ceiling will be re-done.

Hopefully this church will be here another 150 years.....and I'll just be "Some Guy" with a sawmill who helped in the restoration.  :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!