iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill shelter

Started by Alcranb, February 16, 2014, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcranb

The Mistress of Finance has agreed to release funds for the purchase of a new mill. I showed her what I'm leaning towards and she liked the photos in the p#%n brochure that came earlier this week almost as much as me  ;D ,however, the first words out of her mouth were "so where are you going to put this thing?".

Well area is no problem as I have several open acres, but what she was getting at, was storing it outside in the weather. I told her the first thing I would do would to be to mill lumber for a shelter.

Soooo fellow forestryforum members I'm appealing to those of you who have constructed a permanent shed, shelter, building to post a picture or two so I could show the Bride where I would put the new addition. It needn't be centerfold material, even though I'm sure Magicman would have little problem providing us with such  :D  just something in order to say "see dear, the guys don't let their toy, ahem, equipment set outside".

Along those lines any does and don'ts would be appreciated. Nothing like experience!!

As a disclaimer I should add that the Mistress of Finance has tolerated me for 25 years come September (and no I can't call the new mill a silver anniversary gift geesh) and those of us who have been married this long know that, all together now, a happy wife is a happy ........ 8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

kelLOGg

Here's mine - complete with pull-down awning to keep the spring sun out of my eyes. A shed is a must - I used to cover the mill w/ a tarp and that got tedious fast. Like you say - make it your first project.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tmarch

Although I haven't bought a saw yet I've thought about buying a simple portable carport to shelter it.  I know it's a sin not to build something with the lumber you've cut, but how do you build before you get the mill.  On the + side the carport could be used for a party tent after sawing all day :).
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ohio_Bill

A lot of things enter in to your choice of a mill structure.  Here are a few I can think of.

Type and size of mill
Amount of production expected
Weather   , Shed or enclosed
Material handling equipment
Other storage needs     tractor , lumber , equipment

If you are trying to get any type of production numbers, material handling becomes your biggest challenge IMHO.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

thecfarm

I wished I would of covered mine when I first got it. Maybe this year. I would like to build just enough to keep the head covered and big enough to store blades on the wall.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ohio_Bill

Im sorry forgot to attach photo     This building has been changed and added onto several times .  Hope I get it right someday  :D

Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

bandmiller2

Carver,Middleboro are you in that neighborhood Al. Most mill sheds are of A post type where four or more posts are sunk in the ground. A lot depends on what you can get away with in your town. Oh and welcome. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

QuoteA lot depends on what you can get away with in your town

Or what you can get away with in case you get some snow and ice.  Such as Warren has found out.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,72984.msg1103374.html#msg1103374
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

47sawdust

I think it depends on the type of mill you have and what needs protecting.Members Redbeard and Elk both very nice sheds that protect the sawhead when not in use and provide excellent access for log loading and sawing.If it is a 4 post mill a light weight roof could be fabricated for protection.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Alcranb

Tmarch, I like your idea of the shelter for partying lol! But I'm afraid the winds around here would have a field day.

Bill, I'm leaning towards a LT35 but I'll wait until I go to the show in Vermont before I pull the trigger. I would like to have a bay to store the orange tractor (like that orange  ;D ) but the mill is the priority. I'd be afraid to have something like the original part of your shed because of the wind. I'm near the coast and winds can be brutal! Productions not really an issue. I want to mill for myself first and foremost. I have so many farm buildings to build/rebuild I'll never be able to retire lol.  Anything else would be gravy. Thanks for the photos!!

kelLOGg, I like your style and the idea of the screen. Great idea! If I did something like that I'd want to enclose the backside. I wonder what something like sliding barn doors, so to speak, would fare? Close in the winter, open up to cool off on warm days.

Thecfarm, I know where your coming from. I'm the king of procrastination butttt I really want to avoid that this time around. The mills a lifelong dream and frankly I have no excuse to put off a cover, might as well do it right.

Frank, thank you and close, Fairhaven. I'm probably 45 minutes from you. That's what I'm thinking with the poles. Keep it simple, gravel floor, code rafters/roof covered with tin and hopefully keep the neighbors happy  ::)

Beenthere, we usually, yeah right, don't get much snow but it's often very wet and heavy and the wind!!! so no cutting corners. I feel Warrens pain. Some years back I lost two 98 foot greenhouses to a late season snowfall. Lesson learned, no more Quonset style house, all peaked arches.

47sawdust, it'll be a bandsaw mill big enough to handle a 16 foot log. Thanks for the heads up. I'll search them and see if they have any pics in their gallery. Ty

Thanks guys for your time, words and pics. Greatly appreciated!!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

bandmiller2

I used utility poles dug in deep, notched for oak timbers drilled and bolted together. Rafters are oak screwed to the timbers with brackets. Not the prettyest structure around but no worry of snowload or wind. Frank C.

Alcranb

Bandmiller2, what do you have for spacing between poles?

bandmiller2

Al, If I recall about 12' but could be longer depending on the beam or truss between them. This shelter is for a circular mill and the building is about 16 long covering the husk and carriage. Both ends of the mill are open to aid loading and unloading but the sawyer and offbearer are under cover. Frank C.

Ohio_Bill

Bill

stanwelch

Drawing of the mill shed I plan to raise this spring. Timber frame design 24 x 36 w/ 11' eave
More pictures in my gallery

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

hackberry jake

nothing fancy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Alcranb

Thanks for the pics and ideas as well. Are the post sunk into the ground or cement piers? If not, pt? Or what kind of wood for the post?

hackberry jake

I used 6x6 eastern red cedar for posts. I drilled a hole with the auger on the tractor and then filled it full of concrete. While the concrete was still wet I set a bolt in it thread side up. After the concrete hardened I attached a stand-off to hold the 6x6.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

stanwelch

I built forms for a concrete footer and pier. The footer is below frost line at 5' 

rebar was inserted through the tube into the footer. A steel standoff was inserted into the concrete. Posts are 8x8 and secured to the pier standoff with lag bolts. I plan to leave the sides open and expect wind lift. the footer is 2'x2'x1'high

After the piers cured, I poured a 4" concrete slab 

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

bandmiller2

Al, thirty years ago I sold a circular mill to an irish fella I believe from Fairhaven that built wooden sailboats, forgot his name. Said he grew up in Ireland and Oklahoma a really strange accent. The head maintenance guy at the Plymouth Plantation wanted it too but the trustees didn't want to get in that deep. Frank C.

47sawdust

stanwelch,
Now that is the way you do it Mr.Man.
Great job.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

36 coupe

Quote from: thecfarm on February 16, 2014, 10:02:25 PM
I wished I would of covered mine when I first got it. Maybe this year. I would like to build just enough to keep the head covered and big enough to store blades on the wall.
I built a shelter to cover the saw head, got tired of having the wind blow the tarp covered head along the track.My shelter faces north and keeps the sun off me while sawing.Most of the lumber was sawed on the mill so cost was very low.The track and bunks can stand the weather.

thecfarm

36 coupe,I see you have a Thomas. Did yours come with the transport hardware? I did not get the axle kit,but do have the hold downs. I just put one of the hold downs on one side of the track and put the nut finger tight. One bolt never come out of the two pieces of metal. This had kept mine head in place for 10 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

Alcranb, here is mine...a simple shed. Unfortunately as of yesterday it is now empty{sniff} since I sold my LT15.

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

samandothers

Motorseven
i recon something new will move in and live there!  Nice shelters all.

Thank You Sponsors!