iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wide cutting mill

Started by epiphoneprs, April 07, 2014, 12:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epiphoneprs

I'm looking to purchase a new mill.  My max price is $15,000.  Which mill out there has the widest cutting capability for that price or less?

Weekend_Sawyer

Not sure of the pricing but take a look at the lucas mill at lucasmil.com
take a look in their gallery, some pretty neat stuff they are slabbing there.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

tule peak timber

I have a Lucas slabber that cuts 76 or 7 inches wide and it was in that price range or a tick more.  I am pretty happy with it . A lot of bang for the buck.....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

epiphoneprs

Thanks Guys.  What about bandsaws?

4430jd

Take a look at the new Woodmizer LT15 with the extra wide cutting area. Low cost and can be made portable.

ladylake

EZ Boardwalk cuts a 40" log, someone will post how far between the guide rollers.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

redbeard

You will need HP and sharp blades when you chose your mill. The 1 1/4- 1 1/2 blades don't last very long cutting 32". + wide. Something to consider.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

epiphoneprs

I'm definitely interested in the lt15 wide.  They say it'll handle a 36" log but I can't find any info on how wide of a cut it will make. 

Weekend_Sawyer

dboyt

Norwood HD36 handles 36" wide.  I know, because I've done it.  You have to get the log on just right, and it takes a lot of muscle to turn it.  I use a hydraulic loader with a cable wrapped around the log to turn the big ones, though I recently set up an electric winch that works well.  Width of cut is officially 28", but I've taken off the guides & squeezed out 30" cuts (sharp blade, very slow cut).  You definitely need a good, solid frame, especially if you cut big logs like that with the axle under it.  With your budget, you'll be able to get the full package, chain saw, cant hooks, and flatbed trailer.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

epiphoneprs

Weekend Sawyer, thanks for the helpful thread.  So, it looks like the new lt15 wide will cut a maximum width of 32".  That's huge...Seems like it would be really tough to handle anything like that without hydraulics though.  Do you own a Woodmizer?  Everyone on this forum seems to be very pleased with them.  I've owned a TimberKing and a Hudson.  The TimberKing was great.  I sold it because it was too much mill for what I needed it for.  I did a major downgrade to a Hudson 121.  It's fine for little projects around the house but I'm planning on opening a showroom for rustic type furniture and would like to have the capability of working with larger stuff.  Thanks again for the help.

epiphoneprs

Dboyt, I'm glad you replied.  I've been wanting to talk with someone who owned a Norwood.  I love the look of those mills.  They seem very user friendly.  The main thing I like about your model is that you can start out basic and add hydraulics later on if your budget allows.  Do you like your mill?  Have you ever had any other kind?

Ianab

The log handling is where the swing blade / clip on slabber mills come into their own. You don't move the log while you are sawing. That's a big issue with large logs on a manual bandmill.

The swingblade will handle cutting smaller logs into standard size boards easily enough. OK, no advantage over a small bandmill there. Difference is you will actually be happy to see 36"+ logs (instead of dreading them), and you can bolt on the slabber attachment for cutting those big live edge slabs. These can work great for the rustic furniture stuff.

Have a look at them at least.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Weekend_Sawyer

I don't have a woodmizer I have a Norwood lumbermate manual mill.
On the rare occasion I get a log I can't turn I have a skid steer with a grapple.  ;D

epiphoneprs

Thanks Ian.  I'll check into one of those.

epiphoneprs

Custom Sawyer, at this point I'm actually leaning toward the Norwood HD36.  What has your overall experience been with Norwood?
Hugh

epiphoneprs

Ian.
Is the slabber attachment just a big chainsaw?  I have a horrible time keeping chainsaws sharp just cutting firewood.  I can't imagine how I would do sawing wide slabs. 

Ianab

Yes it's a chainsaw. You would want a good chain grinder as part of your setup for this. They usually run a super skip chain so their are less cutters to deal with. And no matter what mill you get, it needs sharpening.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dboyt

Quote from: epiphoneprs on April 08, 2014, 10:40:44 PM
Dboyt, I'm glad you replied.  I've been wanting to talk with someone who owned a Norwood.  I love the look of those mills.  They seem very user friendly.  The main thing I like about your model is that you can start out basic and add hydraulics later on if your budget allows.  Do you like your mill?  Have you ever had any other kind?

I've had several other mills.  Most recently a Timber Harvester, but sold it and bought the Norwood.  The HD36 works well for me, because I've established a niche for milling oddball stuff that no one else will touch.  The max width of cut is important, but there are other features that really sold me on the machine.  It has the most flexible clamping system of any mill I've seen, and I've cut everything from the big sycamore log pictured in a previous posting to walnut crotch flitches 30" long by 28" wide.  The frame is strong enough to handle anything I put on it, even though it is set up on wheels.  Easy to tow (1,800 pounds) and quick to set up.  Most of all, the mill just has a solid feel to it.

Operation & maintenance are very straightforward, and I opted to save some money by assembling it myself.  Lots of little things like the roller/cleat on the log stops help a lot.  I did put an electric winch on it, which helps with loading and turning.  Hydraulics are intriguing, but I've never been defeated by a log!  I've seen hydraulics demonstrated, and they look well matched to the capacity of the mill.

I've got photos in my gallery, and you're welcome to come out and give it a try.

Nomad

Quote from: dboyt on April 11, 2014, 10:34:33 AM
Quote from: epiphoneprs on April 08, 2014, 10:40:44 PM

I've had several other mills.  Most recently a Timber Harvester, but sold it and bought the Norwood.  The HD36 works well for me, because I've established a niche for milling oddball stuff that no one else will touch.  The max width of cut is important, but there are other features that really sold me on the machine.  It has the most flexible clamping system of any mill I've seen, and I've cut everything from the big sycamore log pictured in a previous posting to walnut crotch flitches 30" long by 28" wide.  The frame is strong enough to handle anything I put on it, even though it is set up on wheels.  Easy to tow (1,800 pounds) and quick to set up.  Most of all, the mill just has a solid feel to it.

Operation & maintenance are very straightforward, and I opted to save some money by assembling it myself.  Lots of little things like the roller/cleat on the log stops help a lot.  I did put an electric winch on it, which helps with loading and turning.  Hydraulics are intriguing, but I've never been defeated by a log!  I've seen hydraulics demonstrated, and they look well matched to the capacity of the mill.

I've got photos in my gallery, and you're welcome to come out and give it a try.

I've seen the new Norwoods, but never operated one.  However, I put a lot of hours on an LM2000.  I'd stack that mill up with any manual mill out there, bar none.  I was truly impressed with that machine.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

dboyt

There are a lot of Norwood LumberMate 2000 sawmills out there.  I took my mill down to the national Tree Farm convention in Jacksonville a few years back to do a demonstration & presentation.  I brought home some nice cypress boards.  People were actually standing in line waiting for a chance to cut a board. 

I'll look you up if I'm back down that way.

Seaman

Please go somewhere and watch-play with a Lucas mill. Not saying not is best for YOU, but deserves a look!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Seaman

Come see mine. I did not realize you were so close! Road trip to the mountains!
Better yet come up to the Blue Skys event on the 26th!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

Take him up on that Lucas mill.Them thinks are very interesting to watch.First one I saw I asked ALOT of questions.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

a lot of bang for the buck......

epiphoneprs

Thanks for all the replies.  You folks are very helpful.  It would be great to go around and test these mills out for myself.  I really appreciate the invites.  Wish I could take you up on them.  I'm a busy man right now with 4 young kids and its hard to find a few spare minutes.  Maybe someday soon I'll catch up with you guys.  Dboyt, let me know if you ever come through Northeast GA with that mill of yours.  I'd love to see it in action.  Seaman, I may be able to schedule a visit in late June. 
Thanks again,
Hugh

epiphoneprs

Tule Peak, that's a massive log right there.  That's what I'm talkin about.  I bet you got some wide slabs off of that thing.

Ianab

Quote from: epiphoneprs on April 12, 2014, 09:58:30 PM
Tule Peak, that's a massive log right there.  That's what I'm talkin about.  I bet you got some wide slabs off of that thing.

Nah, that's not a log.

This is a log.  :D

Some for the forum folks using a Peterson mill (similar to the Lucas) to break down a big old redwood.

This is a Lucas wide slabber, 9 ft cut.

Ian

tule peak timber

I can only sell tables so wide LOL ! Another problem with giant logs is that I don't really have the proper equipment to efficiently handle them.Back to the intent of the thread, I still think the Lucas slabber is a very versatile machine if you want to cut wide , as well as break down timber to more manageable sizes. The other option was the WM 1000 but I don't have the power for it. The lucas earns it's keep every other month....

epiphoneprs

Wow, Ian!  :o    That is CRAZY!       Do you know where that red oak was milled.  I've seen some big ones in my neck of the woods but not that big.  I wouldn't know what to do with slabs that wide.  Would the drying/handling process be basically the same as with smaller slabs (just on a larger scale)?

Ianab

The story of the Redwood log is told in this thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,25028.msg357987.html#msg357987

It had ended up in  Wisconsin as an ornament outside a sawmill...

The Lucas slabber is dealing with a NZ kauri tree root ball that had fallen ~3,000 years ago, and been buried in a swamp ever since

They were selling slabs of wood like this for ~$1,000 each, off the saw. But you can imagine the table someone could make from that.

This table is one single 4" thick board. It's in the Kauri Museum in Northland.

The slabs aren't too bad to dry. Trees that grow that large seem to be some of the easier to dry for various reasons. Walnut, Kauri, Redwood, and Monterey cypress for example.

But yeah, they may not be common species in most parts of the world.

Ian

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: epiphoneprs on April 13, 2014, 12:57:14 PM
Wow, Ian!  :o    That is CRAZY!       Do you know where that red oak was milled.  I've seen some big ones in my neck of the woods but not that big.  I wouldn't know what to do with slabs that wide.  Would the drying/handling process be basically the same as with smaller slabs (just on a larger scale)?

Please note that that was REDWOOD, not red oak.  Yes, I know you wouldn't expect redwood in the Midwest but that's part of the story...

Herb

tule peak timber

WOW Ian ! What do you cut your wide slabs with ?  The museum table is just BEAUTIFUL !! What did you finish it with ? How did you dry it ?I only build a couple of tables that size per year, and I have to admit my hat is off to you on that Museum piece ! The rest of the year my builds are much smaller ,but many more of them, like your rootball pic . Were you also involved in the large redwood milling ? I mill a fair amount of redwood here too and ship it back east. Please tell us more about the pics you posted.  Thanks  Rob

Ianab

Wish those kauri slabs where mine  ;D  But they aren't  >:( 

Just some pics I've taken over the years that show WHY people use chainsaw slabbers.  ;)

The wide slabber was being demoed by Arnold from Wood Works in Hamilton. He has a web page with some pics of the stuff he does
http://www.wood-works.co.nz/gallery.htm

I've sawn a few larger slabs on my standard swingblade, using the old trick of sawing 2/3 of the log, then flipping it over, and sawing the other side. You get one full width live edge slab from the log that way
This is a piece of Monterey cypress, that's still in the shed waiting to be made into a table.  :-[

That big table from the Museum was sawn and built in the 70s for the board room of a local brewery. When they rebuilt the offices it was donated to the museum. The top alone weighs about a ton!!

There is more pics of it in this old holiday thread, along with some other interesting things.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,9786.msg133192.html#msg133192

Ian

dboyt

Quote from: epiphoneprs on April 12, 2014, 09:57:20 PM
It would be great to go around and test these mills out for myself.  I really appreciate the invites.  Wish I could take you up on them.

Just one trip to the Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out should do the trick, if you can wait until October.  It is at the Cambridge, OH Paul Bunyan Show, Oct. 3-5.  Norwood, other band & swing blade mills will be there, all running side-by-side.

Jim_Wahl

The Great Sawmill Shootout is really worth the time and money spent to attend for anyone who has any interest at all in sawmills! However, I thought they have them every other year, but perhaps there are plenty of sawmills that attend even on the years that are Great Firewood Processor Shootout years.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

epiphoneprs

Are there any big sawmill shows in the Southeast? 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: epiphoneprs on April 14, 2014, 09:41:58 PM
Are there any big sawmill shows in the Southeast?

Yep....Monday through Saturday....8-5 pm.....from Spring until Fall......in York County, South Carolina.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Seaman

Good one David! You beat me to it.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Seaman

Hugh, come up with the kids and camp at the pond anytime!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

customsawyer

You are welcome to come down to the sycamore project. There is only one mill but we have a good time. If you are willing to wait till Oct. there is the ag expo in Moultre Ga.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

schmism

Whats your budget for material handing equipment?

this is a great video of what happens when you try to cut a 30" (small end) frozen cottenwood that is 20' long.   You'll note that they slab a chunk off because there 5000lb forklift wont pick it up.

Gives you an idea of what its like to try to cut up a 30+ inch log and the work it takes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1523lUpCaxA

FYI loader capacities in excess of 3000lb are found on 75hp tractors and up as well as 60hp skidsteers and up.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

beenthere

Good video by ElectricAl
Thanks for posting. Surprised there wasn't some blade wave.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dboyt

Quote from: Jim_Wahl on April 14, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
The Great Sawmill Shootout is really worth the time and money spent to attend for anyone who has any interest at all in sawmills! However, I thought they have them every other year, but perhaps there are plenty of sawmills that attend even on the years that are Great Firewood Processor Shootout years.

Right!  This year is firewood processors.  And there will be plenty of sawmill manufacturers demonstrating as exhibitors.  Good chance to see the equipment up close & personal, and maybe score a good deal on a demo mill.

epiphoneprs

Thank you all for the invites and info.  I'll have to take ya'll up on the invites asap.  Like I said, life is crazy right now. It's softball/gymnastic/baseball season.  My weekends are gone.  Poston, how far off of 85 are you? Custom, the sycamore project sounds like a blast.  Wish I could make it.
Schmism, I'm going to be purchasing a skidsteer this fall.  I figure it'll handle what I need it to.  Thanks for the video.
Seaman, we'd love that.  Looking for a good camper at the moment. 
Thanks again everybody.

wwsjr

You could look at mills at the Woodmizer Open House at Newnan, GA on Satrday, May 3rd. They usually have several models to see.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Thank You Sponsors!