iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I've been cutting pine.

Started by hackberry jake, April 07, 2014, 02:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I just know how everybody likes pictures.

All 1x12s and 1x8s 8'6" long roughly. I had some issues with blue stain and warpage with my first try at pine2x6s. This time I figured cutting them 1x would make more surface area so it'll dry faster and I made my stack 2' wide to make it easier for wind to blow through it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ely

I have got plain mold on the pine before by stacking it too wide, but all my blue stain is the log before I saw it.
when I stack my lumber really wide I force air through it with a big fan for a week or so. nice looking stack job you done.

drobertson

Put the blue in the sun and watch what happens,  just a few might surprise you, just for the record.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Jake,

That should dry nicely.  When you get your Nyle kiln up and running, you can dry that to 8%, sterilize it, and set the pitch in 10 days  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

elk42

Jake
  I stack all mine 24" to 28" wide with stack running north south so the sun will hit
both sides for 30 to 90 days then move inside this helps with the mold. I cover with
36" metal roofing. 

PS Wish I had a kiln. ::)
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

backwoods sawyer

Nice stack with good alignment and weight transfer 8) However since you have had issue with warpage from trees in your area it would seem adding about three more stickers per layer would be
prudent :P

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

hackberry jake

I probably should've added at least one more (if not more) row of stickers to get it around 2' spacing on the stickers. I'll see how this stack comes out. I still have quite a few more logs to saw.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Jake, I have gone to 16" spacing on hardwood because the boards for furniture and woodworking projects need to be as flat as possible.  I am using 19" spacing (6 stickers for 8 1/2' long) for 1" pine.  May be a bit over-kill, but flat lumber sure sells better than bowed lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dboyt

Nice looking pile of pine, Jake.  Do you ever weight down the tops of your stacks?  Maybe a water barrel weighting system so that you can set the barrel in place and pump water into it so you don't have to do so much lifting.  Then just siphon the water out to unstack.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hackberry jake

Quote from: dboyt on April 08, 2014, 09:05:50 AM
Nice looking pile of pine, Jake.  Do you ever weight down the tops of your stacks?  Maybe a water barrel weighting system so that you can set the barrel in place and pump water into it so you don't have to do so much lifting.  Then just siphon the water out to unstack.
thats a great idea!

beenthere

Quotethats a great idea!

as is Danny's in his reply...    ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

Yeah. More stickers and more weight. I'll try to do better on the next stack.

hackberry jake

I think im starting to get a hang of this whole pine thing.

WDH

Magicman

That almost qualifies you as a POWERBOX fan!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Jake,

Nobody can accuse you of being shy  ;D. 

Coon

At this rate you guys are going to create quite the overachiever of him....  :D   :D   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Larry

Yes, I did notice the wind picking up, than the lights dimmed, and it got real dusty for a while. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

I have some more logs to saw. I guess ill just move the fans up as the stack gets taller.  :laugh:

iwiegian

Jake you have those fans pointed north? Its been awful windy here in Iowa :D  Dave

Peter Drouin

I think there's room for one more fan  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

If you squench them tight, you just might squeeze one more in  :D.

Larry

I have a hunch we haven't seen Big Bertha yet.  Rumor has it he is in possession of some huge relic fan that was used to cool an entire chicken house.  Sorta like a fan of mass destruction.  Be prepared to take cover if that monster gets cranked up. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

Fans are a great thing. I use a 42" barn fan in the shop in the summer. It mostly helps with mosquitos, they just can't seem to fly fast enough to get to you. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!