Sponsors:

Pine or poplar

Started by Klicker, April 08, 2014, 11:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klicker

witch would last longer pine or poplar for bird houses
2006 LT 40 HD

delvis

If you're going to treat the wood with a stain or paint I would think that both should last as long as you want.  I really can't say how long poplar would last untreated, but one advantage to using it for a birdhouse is that you can drive a nail or screw close to the edge without the wood splitting on you.  Can't always get pine to do that.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

SwampDonkey

White pine is your best bet, it is rated higher at rot resistance than aspen. Aspen is very poor against rot. Dead fire killed white pine will stand for decades in the forest. Aspen is on the ground in no time after it dies. In Northumberland county there have been more frequent fires than in my area. I have seen dead white pine standing among a new forest of spruce and fir 40 years after the fact. There is one spot I used to go fishing and you could look out for miles and miles and see them dead white pine snags towering over the new forest.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I have some Bluebird houses made of W/Pine that have been out there 10 years, maybe more, and they are unpainted!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Use the white pine and don't treat or paint it with anything, the birds will like it better. Paint and bright colors are to attract tourests. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Klicker

I make them out of hemlock now just trying to see what other woods will work
2006 LT 40 HD

36 coupe

Birds dont care.Ive found that poplar makes a good floor under cattle or horses.Beats hemlock.Woodsman told me that poplar made a good floor for trucks,he was right...

SwampDonkey

36 coupe, you talking tulip tree (leriodendron) or aspen (populous)? No tulip tree in NS. Aspen wouldn't last at all under cows and horses or trailer decking. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I've heard of aspen used for dump trucks some years back. The wood will dent and not break. Sounds good to me,I remember saying.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

:D Yup, does. I hear lots of them tales, don't mean I'll be doing it. ;D

mad murdock

As far as aspen goes, when I was in HS, I built a dog sled of aspen, bent wood and all, weighed in at 15 lbs with Teflon on the runners, equipped with a brake and all. It could carry about 400 lbs. the fibers of aspen are long and resist shearing.  They have a good bending moment before they fail.
Was a fun project, and a nice performing sled too.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Aspen is splinterless, which is possibly a good idea for saunas, toilet seats, kids' toys, and birdhouses.  It is the weakest wood in North America.  It is very soft and will give, as mentioned.  It is not good for table legs, chair legs, etc. unless its size is increased to provide the needed strength...size will not increase the softness however.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

dboyt

Quote from: thecfarm on April 11, 2014, 07:40:35 PM
I've heard of aspen used for dump trucks some years back. The wood will dent and not break. Sounds good to me,I remember saying.

If you're worried about birds denting your birdhouse, put up a sign telling them to leave the corks at the door (and no woodpeckers allowed).   :D
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Klicker

I know a few dump truck owners that us it and that is all they will us. I will post some photos this week of what I am doing. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

SwampDonkey

They must be home made dumps for like hauling firewood I assume. Large dump trucks hauling 20+ tons are steel bodied.

We had a dump on an old farm truck for hauling firewood and cleaning up potato sheds in the spring hauling dirt and cull potatoes to be buried. The dump bed was spruce, same bed for 20+ years.

Klicker

A lot of the steal dumps have a spot along the top the put a 13x 1&3\4 plank.
2006 LT 40 HD

SwampDonkey

Never see it done here and to be road legal the load needs tarping and secured. I've only seen planks used on rims of potato truck bulk bodies around here. Can't imagine a gravel truck using one and have the sand and stones come off and bust a windshield. Be in big do do.

Magicman

Yup, all of the dumptrucks that I see have sideboards on top.  Tarp/cover when hauling a load.  They are all windshield magnets.   :o   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Klicker

they claim that it protects the top of the box when the are being loaded.I really don't know if it works is legal  Ijust know the swear by it and pay for it.
2006 LT 40 HD

ely

most all the trucks here have the wood on top rail.

VT-Woodchuck

In the "old" days of horses with caulked shoes, the poplar was used because it crushed but didn't splinter and tear out. I used it once for a truck body floor and got about 5 years out of it.

SwampDonkey

Used to use elm here. Would wear better when horses would tread/paw in their stall.

coppolajc10

while we're on the topic of aspen, anyone know if it's good for framing material?  Thanks, Jake.

beenthere

Yes, aspen is good for framing. Careful in the drying as it saws out green with some pesky wet spots.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Klicker

here is photo of one of the bird feeders I make.

2006 LT 40 HD

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Klicker on April 15, 2014, 06:43:37 AM
A lot of the steal dumps have a spot along the top the put a 13x 1&3\4 plank.
Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 15, 2014, 11:23:58 AM
Can't imagine a gravel truck using one and have the sand and stones come off and bust a windshield.

I take that back. They do use planks here, but there is no gaps between the plank and the body. That was what I was envisioning for some reason (a gap). About 15 years ago the DOT here clamped down hard on loads that were not secured and ones with cargo leaking out like sand, lime, grain etc. Even a load of pulp logs, which everyone knows is out to the air flow of a moving truck, has to be well checked even for loose debris like limbs and bark. My brother was behind a truck that had a bunch of debris spilling off it one time, not long ago. And he called the Irvings and they wanted to know the details like license on the truck.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

36 coupe

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 11, 2014, 07:37:26 PM
36 coupe, you talking tulip tree (leriodendron) or aspen (populous)? No tulip tree in NS. Aspen wouldn't last at all under cows and horses or trailer decking. ;)
I have had a fat old cow on a poplar stall floor.It looks fine after 5 months.I have used poplar/aspen on stall floors for years.It out wears hemlock.Sorry but it works for me.Aspen is called popple in Maine.

SwampDonkey

Yes. However, I though you was from one of the states further south. Aspen, popple, and poplar always causes cornfusion. ;) There's nothing special about hemlock, doesn't last any longer than spruce. Have had spruce planks under cows and horses at my uncle's barn for 30 years. And they were work horses, not for riding.

Corley5

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 12, 2014, 09:31:03 AM
It is the weakest wood in North America.  It is very soft and will give, as mentioned.  ..size will not increase the softness however.

You ever try to drive a nail into dry aspen lumber  ??? :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Eastern hemlock is no joy either.  ;) Western hemlock is much nicer. :)

OneWithWood

Quote from: coppolajc10 on April 15, 2014, 09:47:00 PM
while we're on the topic of aspen, anyone know if it's good for framing material?  Thanks, Jake.

The building that houses my mill and the extension I am putting on it are both framed using big tooth aspen.  It makes a light but surprisingly strong dimension lumber.  Nail it before it gets too much age to it.  Aged aspen is somewhat resistant to nailing as Corley has experienced.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!