iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

be careful cutting stickers

Started by hackberry jake, April 10, 2014, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I was cutting some warped 2x6s into 2' long pieces and then ripping them on the table saw to make stickers. I was using a maple 1x1 as a push stick when this happened.

I tried to use the push stick to push it off the blade and it grabbed the push stick and whizzed it across the shop. My arm was in between it and where it wanted to go.

This is apparently where it wanted to go... my garage door 20' away.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mrector

My table saw scares the crap out of me.. so I've resorted to just stackin one inch boards on sawmill and ripping them to 1" square. Way faster and safer.
Glad u didn't lose any body parts. Be careful out there!
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I know its water under the bridge now Jake.....but my warped wood is firewood.
Be careful Buddy!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GDinMaine

That looks scary.   :-[  Luckily I can't afford a table saw that powerful.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

hackberry jake

Its only a 2hp saw. If this happens to you guys, just shut her down and remove it once the blade has stopped. A zero clearance insert wouldve prevented the stray slice from going down there. I'm sure theres something different I couldve used as a push stick as well that wouldve made it safer. I was wearing safety glasses but if it wouldve came for my face, I dont thing the glasses would've helped much. I'm sure ill have another pic of a massive bruise in a couple days. I blame WDH for telling me my stacks need more stickers  :D

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Shotgun

H Jake, you done MagicManed your self.  Glad it wasn't any worse.  Those saws can cause a world of hurt.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

m wood

Ooooh, thats a doozy Jake.  My table saw (old table saw) got me the worst of any of my power tools.  A kickback and a board slamming back down on the table hamburgered the tip of my middle finger.  I gotses the mostest respect for the "table saw" now.  Nobody can get near it when I'm running that buggar.  You know we wanna see the bruise in a couple days. ;D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

thecfarm

You have joined the MagicmanPOSTON picture group now.  :(
I am glad you did not get hurt any worse than what you did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Jake,

Sorry to hear about your accident.  I'm sure that your arm hurts quite a bit and will be a while healing.

I had a tablesaw accident myself a while back while cutting stickers. You can read about it here (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48402.msg697987.html#msg697987

Herb

21incher

I had a radial arm saw do that to me once because I did not properly set the kickback pawls. We all learn from our mistakes and thank god your fingers are still attached. May be time for a stock feeder.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

woodmills1

wow hope things are fine now

I was ripping hemlock for stickers on a table saw years ago when a knot broke loose and hit me in the middle of the forehead.  Knocked me to my knees dazed and confused, DanG near put me out.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

YellowHammer

Wow, we are glad it's not worse, it could have been.   smiley_speechless
We use a commercial duty power feed on the table saw.  It prevents kickback, allows you to get out of the axis of the saw blade, and allows us to easily make stickers or straighten boards.  We don't have an SLR or edger, but this works great is less expensive, and very safe.

Here is an old video of us trimming cull boards.  Typically we can run them much faster than this, but it illustrates the ease of use.

http://youtu.be/gaUriwsol18

Take care and we are very happy you weren't hurt worse.  The hole in the door says it all.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

yukon cornelius

I think my table saw is the most dangerous saw I have. that thing has caused more near misses than any other tool I have ever owned. I know my luck will run out eventually. I hope eventually is a long way off. hope you heal quick.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

It happens, glad none worse for wear on that one,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Use the saw mill to do that, you can make a bunch in no time, Even if you cut the lumber 4' first. Hope you get better. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GAB

I do as Peter suggested and then use the miter saw to cut them to length.
You can make a lot of stickers in an afternoon.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

hackberry jake

Thanks guys. The sawmill would definately cut them faster. I was just using the table saw because its cheaper to run. A carbide tipped table saw blade is about $20 and a sawmill band is about $20 but it doesnt use carbide. And the tablesaw doesnt use gas. But after this go around. I will definately be using the mill from here on out.

Nomad

I cut 'em on the mill too.  But I use a chainsaw and a jig to cut them to length.  A whole lot faster than a chop saw.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

jclvsall

Glad you are ok... mostly. 

I had my worst accident with a tablesaw as well.  I had a 2x2x18 piece kickback and nail me in the chest so hard it imediately knocked me out.  As the world was going black my face was headed for the still spinning saw.  My knees were buckling and I was going down.  Luckily I was able to slap the kill switch before I blacked out.  When I came too on the floor I had the safety key from the switch in my hand. 

The next day when I got the guts to fire the thing back up I found that it had kicked so hard that it broke the cast iron motor mount.  Craftsman told me they don't see many of those ordered!

keep safe
Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Bill Gaiche

It does happen. We take the little jobs for granite a lot of the times. We don't aim to hurt ourselves, but we don't always see what is about to happen in time to correct the hazard. Glad that you didn't get in the blade, they don't care what they cut. bg
Zero clearance blade inserts do help a lot.

YellowHammer

I agree cutting stickers on a mill is fast, but we spend a good deal of time post processing our kiln dried lumber, trimming out defects, and getting it ready for sale.  This is a typical stack of cherry we trimmed up last week, and represents only cull boards from several loads that needed attention.  After we clean the boards up, removing edge defects and end cracks, we run the waste trimmings continuously through the table saw at 108 feet per minute, as fast as we can feed them, which provides lots of kiln dried stickers ready for immediate use.

Needles to say, we run a lot of lumber through the table saw, about this much every week, and safety is a primary concern.  We wouldn't do this operation without the safety and speed of a power feed.

Again, I am very happy you didn't get hurt worse.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

pyrocasto

Very nice time to have a straight line rip saw. At 15hp I wouldnt want to be behind mine in a kickback, but the good thing is I can stand to the side.

The last time my cabinet shop had a loss of work accident, it was a man getting cut on a table saw cutting stir sticks for the paint department. It always seems to be the non product items for some reason. We also have 3 different spots 25ft behind out 3hp table saw where sticks have flew back, one busting a hole in 7/16 OSB!  :-X

hackberry jake

YH... I dont know how you got all those boards to lean like that. If it wouldve been me they wouldve all slid down the wall. Maybe your concrete is grippier than mine.

Ianab

Interesting how on the woodworking sites I can show a picture of my sawmill (swing blade) and people say "Wow that looks dangerous"

But they all use table saws  ::) And if you make a small mistake , they will bite....

I think it's more about what looks to be an obvious danger. There is no way you want body parts near an unguarded circle sawmill blade, and it pretty obvious from the noise it's a "dangerous" machine. A table saw is more stealthy, it lies in ambush and lulls you into a false sense of security. Then it grabs a chunk or wood and throws it at you!!!

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pine

Glad you were not injured any worse than what you were.  Let's be careful out there.

hackberry jake

You guys were right. The mill was faster and I didn't even shed blood.

Brucer

My table saw has anti-kickback pawls. They can be a real pain to work with sometimes, but they definitely do the job.

Even with the pawls, I treat my saw like a loaded gun -- never stand in the direction its pointing.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

petefrom bearswamp

Got nailed in the thumb twice due to carelessness.
First time was in 1965 the second in 2000.
If the next one doesn't come for 35 years I should be all set.
I use a homemade zero clearance insert, and a 7-1/4 marathon thin kerf blade designed for skilsaw use.
Makes a smooth cut and boards with internal stress do not seem to be a problem.
Only put the 10 inch blade on when cutting thick stock.
I also have a home built apparatus whereby I can shut the saw off with my knee so I can keep my hands free to anchor the piece and the push stick.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dboyt

Running a sawmill is like wading across a river full of alligators, and don't think about the piranhas.  You worry about the big things that bite, and the little ones get you.  Nice looking stack of stickers.  Glad you're still with us!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!