iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Struggle .... of a new SawMill Purchase

Started by beamero, April 11, 2014, 08:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beamero

So whose footsteps am I following in?  I started wanting a LT10. No, no, that's too small. Then I wanted a LT15. Well, I may as well make that mobile, so let me look at the 28Manual. Hummm, the 35Manual is on sale right now, so that's the one I'm going to get. I talk with Joe at Carolina (2 or 3 times). Now I'm convinced to proceed with Hydraulics. Wait, the 35HD isn't on sale, but the LT40 is...... ugh, the struggle.  :-\
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Lakeerieloghomes

Only you can answer that question. From a money standpoint, I would be sure to not bite off more than you can chew. Purchase a mill that you can either pay cash for outright or under a payment that you can make in times of financial strain without income from the mill. From a sawyer standpoint, you have to ask yourself how much sawing you are going to be doing? what will your focus be for the mill? Stationary with contract sawing? Retail? Mobile? Or personal hobby sawing? Many guys get their feet wet with a small mill and then later upgrade. I did and it was a comfortable transition. It gave me the time to gain experience as a sawyer, build business relationships, and increase income to afford a high production mill.
Woodmizer LT 70 diesel
Newman 4 side planer;100 hp International
25" wood master molder/planer
Glue line rip saw
16" Dewalt chop saw
16" pop out saw
Table shaper
2500 bd ft Kiln
Misc woodworking and support equipment

samandothers

Joe and gang are a great group!  Regardless of LT10 or LT40 you will have great support.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

As has been said in many threads, take a look at used mills near you.

hackberry jake

Keep going down that road and you'll end up like customsawyer and you'll go home with two lt70s  :o
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hunz

I second magic man, lakeeerie gives great advice. I bought my lt35hd only because I knew I could afford a $225 per month payment. I paid off my manual right before selling it and upgrading. I'm not sure if I could have justified a $500/month payment, nor swing that every month if a disaster happened. Every man's situation is different however, I do know every man is the same in one way.........we always want bigger and better. Sometimes its best to leave the research alone for a full week. Reevaluate after some time off, and then make a decision. Either way, you are in great hands with the Carolina ASC. Joe sold me mine!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

IMHO if your going to go WM get at least the 28 series.
At that level you get the advantages of the Monorail design and strength of the 40 series bed.
Spring for the deck package and a couple LOGRite tools logrite_cool and your off sawing
with a simple machine.
  smiley_thumbsup

DGDrls

SawyerBrown

beamero, I just have to give it a Tim the Toolman "Arr Arr Arr" laugh.  :D :D :D Bigger and more power, that's the ticket!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

WoodenHead

I agree that Lakeerieloghomes has some great advice.  Initially I was looking at an LT15, but ended up buying a new LT28 instead to get my feet wet.  I had no idea if I would even enjoy sawing.  A year an a half later I sold my mill and bought an LT40 manual.  I should have purchased an LT40 hydraulic/super hydraulic, because that's what I need for my business.  Instead I went a much more difficult path and upgraded to hydraulics myself.  It's not something I recommend for everyone.  But everyone's financial situation is different. 

I have a stationary setup, work alone, and sell lumber.  If I was only sawing for myself the LT35 manual would be more than enough.  An LT15 or LT10 might be enough in that case.  If sawing for others, I would recommend hydraulics.  I know people do it with manual mills, but usually they charge less per hour to compensate for longer sawing time (or charge by the board foot). 

Using a manual mill gives you a great work-out though.  It was one of the reasons I started with an LT28.   :D

47sawdust

beamero,
My two cents-
Mobile mill,if you are committed to WM ,lots of good used mills around.More Lt 40's out their than other models,Lt30 and Lt25 share same head assembly,with 2 different bed lengths.
It is a struggle and can be confusing,but you will get there.It's kinda like buying a used car no matter what you buy some tinkering will be required to get it the way you want.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

scully

Buying a mill ...sortta like building a garage ! figure up how big you need then add 20 feet all the way around..... :)
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

I bought "used" and highly recommend it.  Having the LT40SuperHydraulic options saved my skin because my thoughts of sawing changed dramatically within my first year of sawing. 

I intended to saw and sell but managing a lumber inventory soon proved to be unmanageable without a proper lumber shed.  That plus portable jobs kept popping up.  I soon went 100% portable and discarded the lumber idea.

For properly meeting the portable sawing market I needed all of the LT40 features and have gradually added those that were not originally on the sawmill.  Bells & whistles have a purpose.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

beamero, it sounds like you have your heart set on Bigger and Better, but I was just on Craigslist up here in east central Illinois, there's a guy with an LT15 for sale, listed for $4500.  Says "used very little", always stored inside, and the picture looks like it's in really nice condition.  Of course, then there's the drive up here to get it ....  Just throwing it out there as another option for you to get started at a pretty reasonable cost to get your feet wet.  Or, in this case, your clothes dusty   ;D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

beamero

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I have a few "power" toys around the house that no longer get much use that I will most likely be selling to offset the cost of the 40HD. I have already put a deposit down on the LT35 Manual, but it looks like I will be opting for a larger mill. 
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

drobertson

If it were me, and it was nearly 10 years ago,  I would still go hydraulic if at all financially possible.  This of course depends on intentions with the mill.  Also the added cost to the portable rigs are soon offset by the ability to move the mill when required or desired.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beamero

After speaking with Farm Bureau, I have to upgraded my order to the LT40HD. May as well go ahead and get the machine I want off the get go I suppose.
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beamero

thecfarm, there was a 6 week lead time when I placed my deposit, so I should have it sometime in late May or June. 
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beamero

Hopefully I won't be needing any additional cants. I already have 3, and I move logs with my 555C backhoe.  ;D
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Finn1903

Congratulations on ordering your mill.  You will have allot of fun with it making boards.  If you have not spent much time around a mill make sure you take your yield e when you pick it up and go through setup cutting alignment and common pm items. 
Do you havĂ© forks on your 555? 
I had a similar struggle with deciding which model. Good choice going with hydraulics!
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

beamero

Finn1903, I have tongs currently. I have lots of stock and scrap metal. I'll already been working on a design for front forks that I want to get started on in the next couple of weeks. Hard to do anything when you work 5 and 6 12hour night shifts per week. Hopefully I'll be cutting back to 4 a week soon.

Here's at what I'm looking at fabricating:

http://youtu.be/8MZUiUQxDjk
2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

Thank You Sponsors!