iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood going to Canada what is the law

Started by just_sawing, April 13, 2014, 10:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I have a friend living in Canada and when he visits I thought I would give him some wood to take home. It will be green and i was wondering what is the Law on this. Anybody have any experiance on this?
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

highleadtimber16

It would probably be easiest to give him a receipt. Then it's a purchased product and you're not exporting. Are free trade deal isn't as great as they make it sound. That's just my thought.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If it is ash or looks like ash and it is green or has bark, it cannot go across.  If bark free, dry lumber, no problem in my experience with several loads, but the rules can change.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Brucer

For a significant quantity you've gotta deal with paperwork (no matter which way you're going).

Most wood import restrictions don't apply to wood imported from the continental US. However, there are restrictions on some tree species that are known hosts for certain pests that are found in the US but not in Canada (such as the Long Horned Asian Beetle).

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

just_sawing

It will probably be Red Cedar. I don't figure they have much of that up there.
This is a gift of a friend of my daughters whose parents are coming to visit. I may give them Sassafras but being that it looks like Ash if you don't have a nose may be a problem. I will give them a receipt that is a good suggestion. We are only talking about maybe 100 feet at the most. 
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

shelbycharger400

I'd call the boarder guard,   even now your only  allowed to bring bare minimum food across,  something like only a 12pk of pop,   half gal of milk ect,    they want visiting people to spend the dollar.

Erc dose carry pest.    Ants,  fungus,  mold ect

Coast Steve

I would call an import broker on that one, and just ask what the rules are.

You may need the broker anyway.

And maybe even a timber mark or something like that?.

Thank You Sponsors!