iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Complete alignment on the LT40 today.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 14, 2014, 08:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I'm putting the BX back on the mill for a few longer timbers, and decided to go through the mill from the ground up. I've got a couple of questions. The upper mast pads are checked all the way up, and the lowers are checked all the way down. They had the requisite business card gap on one non bearing pad in all the proper locations. My concern is that with the head in the middle, there are some pretty good gaps on the one "loose" pad. Way over an 1/8". Is this normal? The manual warns against over tightening, and that would make sense, as it would then be too tight at the top or bottom. Seems kind of odd to me.

Second, When I adjust my swinging bed sections to the right height at the outside, the inside tends to ride up out of the hole. I can whack it down with something, but that seems a little weird, also.

Other than that, everything has been greased, oiled, finessed, coddled, adjusted and fidgeted into compliance. Tomorrow I'l have to do the same on the BX.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Going through the mill is one of those "well crap, might as well do it" kinda things, at least for me.  Not sure if you remember my post on the mast rail wear pads, but I noticed similar conditions on mine the other day.
All it can be is slightly bowed tubing in my mind.  It's not a precision slide design, but somehow they work.
As to the bed rails, have you lubed down the pivot on the swinging rails?  Dumb question I guess,  or it would be an angled pin or bushing causing it to climb.  Just got logs in, got to go, be back shortly, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

The book says only check the mast pads at the bottom and at the top, more-or-less says don't worry about the middle.

I would think that if it were off like "way to much", one could measure the blade to the bedrail and see if they're still close.

If they were off "a lot" perhaps there is a fix for that too, but I'll bet it involves tweeking the mast posts a little closer together!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Yep, they bow out a little in the middle. If you're following the recommended setup procedure, you'll be leveling your bed rails when the head is just shy of half way up. It's a bit of a compromise but I figured it's only going to show up when you're cutting down close to the bed. For an 8" board it might be 1/32" thicker on the far edge.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customsawyer

On your pivoting bed rails there is only one bolt on the bottom that hold them in place. Take that bolt out and lift out the rail. Sometimes sawdust will build up on one side of the pivot pin that will make it raise up on one side or the other.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

backwoods sawyer

If the pivot bed rail is rocking you may need to add or take a shim washer out of the pivot point. Check the hight to the saw thru out the swing of the arm on the inside and out side of the arm to insure it is leval.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

I don't think there are any shims, there is just a big nut on the inside, and a big headed bolt with a jamb nut on the outside. When it's aligned to the band, then it wants to ride up out of the pivot point on the inside. You can whack it down with a mallet, and maybe the weight of a log is enough, but it still seems odd the way it's behaving.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I can get one later. It should be identical to yours. We both have '08 Super mills.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 16, 2014, 09:58:29 AM
I can get one later. It should be identical to yours. We both have '08 Super mills.

OK, I put ATF around the base , They will rust up.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I have kept mine greased, but I will pull them out and clean everything and regrease.

Dave Shepard

I pulled one of the swinging backstops off today. There was a fair amount of congealatum down in there. I dug it out and regreased, but it didn't make a lot of difference. A big cant seems to push it down. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what it does.

I put a nice log on today for the test run. It sawed really well. Somehow I got the head tipped back an 1/8" instead of 1/16" and it wouldn't cut square. Fixed that, now it's cutting perfectly.  8) Of course it didn't hurt that the log was pretty scrumptious too. Believe it or not, this is a 19' upper log, I took a 25' butt off the bottom:

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I'm going to have a few thousand feet of it like that.  8)

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 18, 2014, 07:48:45 PM
I pulled one of the swinging backstops off today. There was a fair amount of congealatum down in there. I dug it out and regreased, but it didn't make a lot of difference. A big cant seems to push it down. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what it does.

I put a nice log on today for the test run. It sawed really well. Somehow I got the head tipped back an 1/8" instead of 1/16" and it wouldn't cut square. Fixed that, now it's cutting perfectly.  8) Of course it didn't hurt that the log was pretty scrumptious too. Believe it or not, this is a 19' upper log, I took a 25' butt off the bottom:

That was supposed to say bed rail, not backstop. I've been working on my backstop mod, so they must be on my mind. :D The catch goes to Magicman.

customsawyer

Pull it out one more time and see if the shaft coming out of the bottom of the bed rail is out of square with the rail. In turning logs I have caught mine with knots and such and it will get bent a little.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!