iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chart for drying and shrinkage?

Started by MSSawmill, April 15, 2014, 04:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSSawmill

Is there a chart/table for air drying times and board shrinkage for various species of lumber? I have some oak, some bois d'arc, and some cherry, and I don't know what to expect.
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Shrinkage values are in DRYING EASTERN HARDWOODS, p. 11.   For air drying, use 1/3 of the values in this table, as you are drying to around 20% MC, not 0% MC.

Air drying times are on p. 40.  For Osage orange, use white oak.  Thickness is another factor...twice as thick takes 2.5 times longer.

OK?

The book can be found on the Internet for downloading, as it is out of print.  If you tell a "copy store" the address, they can print it and bind it for a small fee.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

MSSawmill

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 15, 2014, 04:19:46 PM
Shrinkage values are in DRYING EASTERN HARDWOODS, p. 11.   For air drying, use 1/3 of the values in this table, as you are drying to around 20% MC, not 0% MC.

Air drying times are on p. 40.  For Osage orange, use white oak.  Thickness is another factor...twice as thick takes 2.5 times longer.

OK?

The book can be found on the Internet for downloading, as it is out of print.  If you tell a "copy store" the address, they can print it and bind it for a small fee.

Thanks, Gene. I assume you mean "DRYING EASTERN HARDWOOD LUMBER" by John McMillen and Eugene Wengert? I've found a copy of it online, but I'll have to look for the pages you referenced.
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Nick_William

I found that article by John McMillen but didn't find any shrinkage values (I'm looking for the same thing for some ash logs). I searched google for "drying eastern hardwood shrinkage value" and first result was a woodcentral article on actual values for shrinkage, and the second result was a wood database article that explains all the terms for people like myself who doesn't speak the lingo. Hope this helps

scsmith42

Lee Valley makes a really great wood movement reference guide that I keep on my desk.  It cost 10 bucks, and has most species listed along with an EMC chart on the back.  The data referenced on it comes from Gene's USDA Wood Handbook, but the Lee Valley guide is quicker and easier to use.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=46281&cat=1,46096,46109

and here is the part number:

50K24.01
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dboyt

Here's a link to "Drying Eastern Hardwood Lumber"  104 pages, so I can see why Gene mentioned having it bound.  http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/ah528.pdf   Great info.  I've got the printer cranking it out, even as I type this.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

OneWithWood

For iPhone users and maybe some other smartphones there is an app called Woodshop Widget that contains a calculator for shrinkage and movement.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!