iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some of my Sawing Experiences so Far Pics

Started by YoungStump, April 15, 2014, 09:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungStump

I'm pretty new here so I thought I,d share some pics of what I've been doing so far, Thanks to this forum I now realize that I'm not the only sawdust junkie out there!
Hope you enjoy.

The Fur Shed my brother and I built, I sawed pretty much all the lumber out of pine logs from our property on my uncle's LT40 manual (the sawmill that got me hopelessly addicted), its not quite finished on the inside yet but its coming.
Currently I'm sawing on an LT70 working for a pallet shop owned by my dad and uncle cutting mostly lowgrade read that UGLY logs for pallet lumber.

But sometimes ugly logs make beautiful lumber. 8)

I do get to cut some nice ones occasionally to, some nice red oak logs.

And surprisingly enough I actually enjoy sawing the  smiley_devil

Just some random pictures around the mill.

Thanks for looking.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Chuck White

Nice pics and a good looking shed too.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum and thanks for posting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Peter,he has your LT70.  :D YoungStump,welcome to them forum. And ugly logs? I have seen some here on the forum. By the time the members get done with them the uglyness is gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YoungStump

Thanks guys!
And yes sometimes the ugliness is gone but other times....well.

Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Peter Drouin

Wellcome YS, Ray that's not a wide head :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YoungStump

Nope it's not a wide head, be awful nice if it was sometimes though. >:( :D

YellowHammer

I know that chainsaw pose, I've had to do it myself a few times.   :D
Welcome to the forum.  Good people here.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

justallan1

Thanks for the great pictures. I want to build something not much bigger than that shed for my retirement home ;D

Allan

forester2009

Youngstump
Do you find having the logs fully debarked, that you get more life out of your blades?
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

JohnM

Quote from: forester2009 on April 16, 2014, 07:02:49 AM
Youngstump
Do you find having the logs fully debarked, that you get more life out of your blades?
To piggyback on that, how do you debark them?
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

"Wide head" LT70!! I will probably forgot.AGAIN.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

Nice pics! That looks like a new Lt 70 ...comments on running it ? By the way , we get ugly logs out west too ! LOL . Like to hear more about the mill you run . Thanks  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

drobertson

Looks like you guys have a lil fun while working!  The way it should be,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

yukon cornelius

nice pics! I like your sawing area! this place is full sawdust junkies! I wish I had some of that pine to saw and build with.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

YoungStump

Thanks Y'all
Quote from: JohnM on April 16, 2014, 08:09:18 AM
Quote from: forester2009 on April 16, 2014, 07:02:49 AM
Youngstump
To piggyback on that, how do you debark them?
I basically never sawed undebarked logs on this mill (only if there to big and crooked to get thru)
so I don't really know about blade life, I still run my mud saw if it's not totally clean.
We're setup with a separate debarker that we've had for years to debark logs for our small log scragg mill, so we run the ones for the band mill thru too, makes them nicer to saw and allows us to sell the chips from the slabs.

Rockn H

YoungStump, looks like a nice setup.  Thanks for sharing the pics. :)

YoungStump

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 16, 2014, 08:45:19 AM
Nice pics! That looks like a new Lt 70 ...comments on running it ? By the way , we get ugly logs out west too ! LOL . Like to hear more about the mill you run . Thanks  Rob
Yes we bought the LT70 new in December of last year. I really like running it overall so far, it has the 55 hp yanmar diesel, and the moveable control stand with twin joysticks.

tule peak timber

A quick comparison of the joysticks to a regular walk behind mill ? Better worse ?? Thanks for the response.  Rob

YoungStump

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 16, 2014, 12:04:42 PM
A quick comparison of the joysticks to a regular walk behind mill ? Better worse ?? Thanks for the response.  Rob
For production sawing I would say much better, I would get very tired walking back and forth all day with the lt70, farther away from the dust and noise etc., the disadvantage is your not as close to watch your band through the cut and it's a bit harder to hear what your engines doing, took a little bit to get used to it but there's no way I'd go back for the type of sawing I do.
I really like the joysticks as I can control basically everything except my computer setworks without taking my hands off of them,(hydraulics, forward, reverse, up, down, debarker, blade guide arm, etc.

tule peak timber

I have the joysticks on order and I am a little apprehensive as to whether I will like them over the walk behind. One thing for sure is that I'm tired of eating sawdust in the wind. The business where you work looks pretty nice in the pics... Thanks  Rob

YoungStump

I expect you will like it once you get used to it I know I do. Thanks for the comments on the business it's a great place to work.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, YoungStump!

I have the wireless remote. I can stand anywhere I want, as long as I'm within 900 feet. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!