iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

start cutting on July 1st

Started by Barney II, April 16, 2014, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney II

Got all plowed out, new blades from Kasco, uncovered my pile of Norways, battery charged.  Today is April 16 so it is only appropriate that we get 16 inches of more snow and adding  to the three feet that I still have.  Sawing will begin July first  no matter what. I don't know what it is doing up on the UP but I bet it is at least this much. Until then I am going  to sit here and wait!!!! Well Red Oaks the TV man said you already have 10 inches of this white stuff.  Nuff said Don >:( ::) :o :D
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

red oaks lumber

you sure are optimistic about being able to start cutting in july :D this snow is really starting to put a damper on things.mostly my additude :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

jmouton

hey fella's  we just broke the all time record for snow fall in  the detroit  area  , 3.1 inches tue morn ,  its  93. 4  inches , i think ,  thats double what we normally get,  it sure is hampering  our saw milling ,  it might be july by the time things dry up

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

drobertson

Hard to believe what you guys go through during the winter months,  just hard to wrap my mind around it.  Not sure if I could do it. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hamish

I only stop milling when my -40C/F washer fluid is frozen.  The winter months is the best time to be sawing.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

customsawyer

I am not waiting for July but I am a little peeved that we had frost this morning and looking for more in the morning. For the record this stuff is supposed to be gone by now.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Small Slick

Even my 4 year old knows better. We pulled out of the drive at 6:30 and as we passed the first forest he stirred in the back seat. Daniel looks out the window at the trees caked with snow and said "this is just silly. There shouldn't be snow out there. ".

I tend to agree. Last year on May 12 we got 14" of the wet heavy stuff in one day. It was just silly.

John.

jclvsall

Quote from: hamish on April 16, 2014, 08:34:52 PM
-40C/F   The winter months is the best time to be sawing.

Ha ha! -40c/f  Yep doesn't matter c or f at -40! 

Hamish curious if you were serious?  I have found that equipment breaks in the cold.  Ice builds up in places that it shouldn't be and it is just a general pain in the butt to deal with. 

Brian

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

YellowHammer

Quote from: hamish on April 16, 2014, 08:34:52 PM
I only stop milling when my -40C/F washer fluid is frozen.  The winter months is the best time to be sawing.
I am shivering just thinking about that!
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

chevytaHOE5674

We only got about 12" UP here so far but its still coming down and supposed to keep snowing through later this afternoon...

Hopefully the rest of April and May are better than they were last year.

Thank You Sponsors!