iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Mobile Job!! How many bdft?

Started by strunk57, April 16, 2014, 09:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

I just wanted to share my first mobile job with you guys, I was kinda surprised when I showed up. I guy from the next town was supposed to saw these with his WM fully hydraulic but for some reason never showed up. I get called from a friend saying he knows someone who needs some sawing done, I say GREAT then as ive learned from here I go for the pre-job inspection. heres what I find.

There ARE 4 hickory, 4 dead walnut, 4 small ERC, and the rest is Poppy!

I have sawn 2 days so far. 5hrs the first, and 6 hours the second. Measured 1454 bdft I don't think that is too bad for my little manual mill.

can you tell a difference? lol

How many bdft do you guys think in this whack? and how long would it take on your mill?
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Birchwood Logging

John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

strunk57

99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Dave Shepard

My first guess looking at the first pic was 3,200 feet Int. 1/4". :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

Hard to say, my guess would be around 2000, dia. and length is hard to tell.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

I think you're doing a great job, Make good lumber and you will have work. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Too bad they was not a bit bigger. But with a manual mill,they are just right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: strunk57 on April 16, 2014, 09:08:30 PMcan you tell a difference?
Yup, somebody dropped their DanG cup on the ground. 

Congrats on the job and you are doing fine.  One day at the time, and don't even think about your productivity.  Concentrate on your quality, quantity will come with time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Remle

I agree with the others. Your just starting out and these logs look like a good size, hard to tell from the photos, well maybe a little small, but better small than some 30 inch monsters to wrestle with while learning. And you are right, per-inspection allows you to see size logs you will be working with, make an assessment of BF and time to do the job.

hunz

I have zero experience in estimating bd/ft from log piles, but it looks like an opportunity for sure!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Chuck White

I'd guess 2,500bf in the second pic!

I usually saw out 1,500 - 1,800 bf/day, without busting my hump.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

strunk57

Quote from: Remle on April 16, 2014, 10:20:29 PM
I agree with the others. Your just starting out and these logs look like a good size, hard to tell from the photos, well maybe a little small, but better small than some 30 inch monsters to wrestle with while learning.

most logs are 14-20" and 10-14' long. Perfect for my mill. Although I did have 1 28" poppy, had to do some chainsaw work on it the first few cuts.
Quote from: Chuck White on April 17, 2014, 06:00:19 AM

I usually saw out 1,500 - 1,800 bf/day, without busting my hump.

so 2 days this pile is gone. That's when you start making good money.

strunk57

Quote from: Magicman on April 16, 2014, 10:15:25 PM
Quote from: strunk57 on April 16, 2014, 09:08:30 PMcan you tell a difference?
Yup, somebody dropped their DanG cup on the ground. 

Congrats on the job and you are doing fine.  One day at the time, and don't even think about your productivity.  Concentrate on your quality, quantity will come with time.

MM All trash is picked up everyday before we leave, it was clean when I got there, it will be clean when I leave, well minus a few slabs and a lot of sawdust. HAHA.

SawyerBrown

I'm going to shoot high and say you might have 4000 bf, especially if you have some 20"-ers in there. 

What do we win if we're the closest?   ;D

Congrats on a nice first job!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

dgdrls

Congratulations Strunk,

Let us know what your  final tally is,

DGDrls

ladylake

If they average 16"  x 12' well over 4000 bf, most likely over 5000bf with over run.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

Quote from: ladylake on April 17, 2014, 07:08:00 AM
If they average 16"  x 12' well over 4000 bf, most likely over 5000bf with over run.  Steve
+1,  at 14" and up the bdft'd goes up quickly, and so will the sawdust pile! 8)
Looks like you have a nice in right there!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WellandportRob

That looks like the perfect job for your mill. Don't worry about speed, safety quality then quantity.  Good luck.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

bruce hare

Average run of hardwood, count the logs. You got 50 logs in second pic. 100 logs per triaxle load aprox 4oooft. My guess is 2000 log scale int.
nuts over wood

Magicman

Quote from: strunk57 on April 17, 2014, 06:30:13 AMMM All trash is picked up everyday before we leave, it was clean when I got there, it will be clean when I leave. 
I was ribbing, but that is a good unrelated point.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

When you get going, it will be 15-20 minutes per log for logs that size.  You're using your head building that deck to keep them out of the mud.  Attention to details like that make a big difference.  Nice pile of logs to start out on!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

backwoods sawyer

Nice stack of logs, clean, consistent sizes, close to the mill. I would estimate 4,000-5,000 bft as a 14" log 12' is roughly 100bft, not sure how many logs are there but 70+ in the first pictures. You have milled about 1500 bft and you have milled 15-20 logs so far as well.

I would schedule it for three days for my mill, as a log truck load takes me three days to mill including setup.

Keep an eye on quality and find a pace that works for you and the saw as you have shown doing the forestry forum boogie for a few hours provides a nice stack of lumber 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Delawhere Jack

Those are some good looking logs, and sized just right for a manual mill. Someday you'll be fighting a 25" log on the mill, and you'll think back to how nice those smaller logs were.  ;D

21incher

I would have to guess enough bdft to make your back sore with a manual mill. Congratulations on your first job.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

strunk57

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on April 17, 2014, 07:35:59 PM
Those are some good looking logs, and sized just right for a manual mill. Someday you'll be fighting a 25" log on the mill, and you'll think back to how nice those smaller logs were.  ;D

I had one of those already, made a lot of bdft but sure was slow getting it cut down to size, I was happy to get back to the smaller ones.

thanks everybody for the compliments and advise. I am doing the best I can.

Today was a good day end total was 1105 ft. and only an 8 hr day. Had some really nice 16-18" 12 and 14' straight poplars, mill is running great after an oil change, sparkplug, and cleaning the air filters. It was a really nice day to saw.

Im guessing the end total will be anywhere between 5000 to 5500 bdft. Have to go get some new blades in the morn and drop off some resharps, but I am thinking of another good day tomorrow as well, I forgot to take a picture this evening, but I really put a dent in the log pile today.

Thank You Sponsors!