iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingle length?

Started by Farmer Jim, April 17, 2014, 04:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Jim

My house needs siding. I don't care for vinyl.  I am considering sawing 1/2" Hemlock or White Oak (my preference, but not sure I have enough).  How long should I cut them if I want 7 1/2- 8" reveal? Thank you, Jim
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

ladylake

On a roof 3 x longer than the reveal, for siding?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

I always cut 16" shingles seemed that was the distance between branch swirls on a white pine top. Cut logs from the trunk and shingles from the tops. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

To cover, I'd suggest twice the reveal plus 2-3" more for total length.

My siding shingles were 18" long and I did 7½" reveal.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

loggah

I saw my shingle bolts about 17" long thats what works good on my chase mill. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!