iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log clamping system

Started by Farmer Jim, April 17, 2014, 07:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Jim

My system (I've always called them dogs, don't know if that is right)  is the Hud-son Oscar II set-up and they are not user friendly.  When I wasn't sawing much I tolerated them, but I am tiring of the frustration and want to build a better set up.  Suggestions please. Thank you, Jim
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

york

Jim,this is why you need to go to shows,take your camera and look at other mills.....albert
Albert

drobertson

I have never run a manual mill, but I can feel the frustration for you.  I know nothing of the Hudson mills, but think surely there is a way to make clamping less frustrating.  Albert makes a good point, the more you see the more ideas you can use.   A photo is worth its weight in capturing good ideas,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Farmer Jim

I seldom go anywhere, so I will keep searching for photos online.  I have built tools from pictures before and always ended up better off for it.  I am considering adding hydraulics as well.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Remle

My neighbor has a Lynn sawmill. In my opinion they have the simplest system of all and sure works well from having used it.. you might try to find one to look at.

pineywoods

Quote from: Farmer Jim on April 17, 2014, 07:56:03 AM
My system (I've always called them dogs, don't know if that is right)  is the Hud-son Oscar II set-up and they are not user friendly.  When I wasn't sawing much I tolerated them, but I am tiring of the frustration and want to build a better set up.  Suggestions please. Thank you, Jim

pineywoods hydraulic turner/clamp.  Cheap, simple, and all hydraulic, adaptable to any mill.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

5quarter

Dozens of ways to skin that cat. I'm not familiar with the Hud-son system either. are you looking for a temporary solution until you can build a hydraulic clamp? If it were me, I would focus on engineering your hydraulic system with the first function being the clamp. you can design and add other functions later. Keep in mind that adding hydraulics to the track (like clamping, turning, toe boards, loading etc...) is relatively simple compared to adding hydraulics to the sawhead. 
   If you can't get to see other mills in person, research the major Mfrs including their own websites, youtube and particularly this forum. The internet will can give you in hours what might have taken weeks or months otherwise.
   as a rule, clamping systems that apply lateral force only are prone to pushing up the log or cant in an effort to secure the work. your system should have a way to also pull the cant down tight to the bunks. And don't forget the backstops. They need to be robust enough to remain square to the bunks regardless of how much force your using to hold the log. another thing to help minimize trouble is to always secure your clamp below the level of the back stops. More than once I have clamped a little too high and the lateral force of the saw blade pulls the cant out of square while in the cut. 2 or 3 boards later, I figure out whats happened.  >:(
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

dboyt

5quarter makes a great point about the stops being able to stand up to the force that the clamp puts on them.  If they aren't, you should also determine what else needs to be beefed up.  I'd consider a 12V electric system, possibly using an acme thread, or a pneumatic system using a tank that can be kept topped off with a 12V air compressor.  Either way, I'd want a foot switch on both sides of the track so I can hold a stubborn log with the cant hook while activating the clamp.  The clamp on the Norwood HD36 works great and was a part of the reason I went with that mill.

Around here, sawyers refer to the log stops as "dogs" and the clamps are "clamps".
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!